Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscars. The slap heard around the world…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

If it was real it makes me wonder how many times his wife and kids were at the wrong end of slaps like that.

Nobody just slaps somebody unless they've done it many times before

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

If society was as easily triggered and offended as they are today, Don Rickles would have been assassinated.

All the apologies written by their PR teams is the obvious Hollywood damage control which follows this sort of outburst.

I commend Chris Rock for "no selling" the slap and carrying on with the show without getting frazzled.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by monitor_ep

Now I am leaning more toward fake slap, seeing Chris before the slap
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Brown Bear
          If society was as easily triggered and offended as they are today, Don Rickles would have been assassinated.....
          I don't necessarily agree, unless we are talking about a deranged violent nutter.

Don Rickles (which has always been a treasured beloved comedian going back to his Borst-Belt days) attacked his celeb victims face-to-face with a wink-wink smile.

Unlike today where EVERYTHING and everyone is not off limits... see Seth MacFarlane(?)

IMO, Andrew Dice Clay was basically the J-s-s of today's shock comedians

He, (and his career) literally was crucified to pave the way for more shock comedians

Do I like it ?,

I dunno.

But I do see the pattern

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

BB--Heh. Sometimes your posts offend me, but I don't feel triggered. Trying to see the big picture, I guess, and relate to you as a person.

Hypocrisy can be upsetting on either side of the aisle--or stage.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
              If it was real it makes me wonder how many times his wife and kids were at the wrong end of slaps like that.

Nobody just slaps somebody unless they've done it many times before
              Exactly, there was nothing funny about what happened. No memes or jokes can undo that the world saw normalized assault live on TV during the Oscars. Just another example of how much we've lost in our modern culture of the cruelty is the point.

It is also unfair and inaccurate to compare Rickles to the cruel jokes of some of the comics of today. Rickles never punched down and his targets and audience were in on the jokes.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Kareem Abdul Jabbar’s take…

I think he’s right on the money.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

BTW Jada Pinkett’s condition is exaggerated. She only has one thin line on top of her scalp. Heck, a lot of people have that and can be covered so easily as it’s really super thin. She has a full set of hair. Look at her scalp, it’s full of hair…

963D5C71-F12B-478A-938D-0D7D2D9E9BC0.jpg

D4B279C1-A374-4CC1-BE86-0788B6DBC402.jpg

921A9B38-17A8-48E7-A811-8F45455848CA.jpg

This is true severe alopecia…
                  8C55CA96-8A50-4D34-900C-6C741A6EA4AE.jpg

And the GI Jane joke should’ve been taken as a badge of honor. Demi Moore was a baddarze in GI Jane.
                  Last edited by Hector; Mar 29, '22, 2:51 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Call me crazy but I think bald women are kinda hot...

Think this started when I first seen Persis Khambatta in Star Trek: The Motion Picture

While EVERYBODY (at the time) made a big deal about the BALD woman in STTMP

… I just thought she was incredibly hot --- with or without hair.

RIP, Persis …. with or without hair, a totally beautiful woman

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Kareem Abdul Jabbar is such a thoughtful, intelligent person.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                        BTW Jada Pinkett’s condition is exaggerated.
                        Seems to me she, and a diagnosis, can establish how she feels about a personal medical condition. And that's separate from her husband's behavior.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Seems to me she, and a diagnosis, can establish how she feels about a personal medical condition. And that's separate from her husband's behavior.
                          Agreed. I'm not going to assume how anyone feels about a medical condition they have. Rock was out of line making a personal attack like that. Maybe he didn't know it was a medical condition. The Smiths were not out of line expecting some kind of apology. What was out of line was Will assaulting Rock over it, whether on a televised event, or even behind closed doors. Two wrongs really don't make a right.
                          sigpic

Comment

• shaunaconda
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Mar 29, 2020

Chris Rock did make a documentary called “Good Hair” awhile back. It goes into the hair styles of African American women, and all the chemicals and products they use.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Let’s get this straight. As insensitive and crass Chris Rock’s joke was…it was not illegal. Will Smith physical assault was. So let’s not try to even these things up, as they are not.

But if Jada was really incensed and wanted to immediately do something about it, then she’s the one who should’ve stood up and face Chris Rock (and scold him or something, but not hit him). Not act the part of the damsel in distress like Kareem Abdul Jabbar so eloquently wrote. She relied on a man to bail her out, the perpetual submissive behavior towards all things patriarchal that’s still prevalent in society.

There’s a part of missing footage that was not captured, and that’s likely Jada also looking at Will’s own laughter in disgust. That prompted Will to go after Chris Rock. Jada should’ve stopped Will, and said, “I’ll take care of this myself”. Or simply either ignore…or even laugh it off. Heck, embrace the GI Jane reference…as that was a tough baddarze character.

Jada Pickett also has a history of anger issues herself.

Both Will Smith and Jada Pickett were in the wrong, not Chris Rock.

Chris Rock didn’t even know about her condition. But even if he knew, that’s comedy roasting.

Ok, she has mild alopecia. I get it. It can be tough, especially for a woman. But it’s not exactly pancreatic cancer. One of my dearest friends is battling pancreatic cancer (first time I mention this here). So I really can’t empathize with Jada much.

So if she can’t take a joke. Quit being a public figure. Quit sitting on front rows with comedians known for their roasting humor. It’s not like it’s the first time this has happened between Chris Rock and the Smiths. This has been an ongoing thing, for decades in fact.

And lastly. Was Chris Rock really out of line? No, not really. Tasteless? Sure. Insensitive? Absolutely. But not out of line. That’s what Don Rickles, Sam Kinison, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Jeff Ross, Gilbert Gotfried, Andrew Dice Clay, Sarah Silverman, Kat Williams, and countless others do. Freedom to express themselves through humor. Don’t like their humor? Don’t attend their shows. Don’t sit right in front of them. Don’t buy their merchandise.

Now expect random audiences start attacking stand comics across the country.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

You may like or not like Jim Carrey, but he’s right on the money here…

Given his politics, I’m shocked he has this option.

Last edited by Hector; Mar 29, '22, 6:26 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎