Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscars. The slap heard around the world…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Oscars. The slap heard around the world…

Will Smith slapping Chris Rock live on stage during the Academy Awards.

Thoughts?
    sigpic
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I understand Smith being upset over Rock making fun of his wife for a medical condition she cannot help. But slapping him on stage like that was uncalled for. Use your words, Will.

Besides, it's Chris Rock. Expect to be offended. You can rebuttal all you want, but slapping someone on live TV at the biggest, most prestigious event of your profession is just low.

Bottom line: Smith should have asked Rock to apologize, and he should have. But it wasn't worth physical violence, and sends a bad message.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

In Will’s defense, this is the first big hit he’s has in decades!
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        In Will’s defense, this is the first big hit he’s has in decades!
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I understand Smith being upset over Rock making fun of his wife for a medical condition she cannot help. But slapping him on stage like that was uncalled for. Use your words, Will.

Besides, it's Chris Rock. Expect to be offended. You can rebuttal all you want, but slapping someone on live TV at the biggest, most prestigious event of your profession is just low.

Bottom line: Smith should have asked Rock to apologize, and he should have. But it wasn't worth physical violence, and sends a bad message.

Chris
          Agreed.

Was Chris Rock’s joke in bad taste? Absolutely. Given that Jada is suffering from alopecia. The GI Jane joke obviously did not sit well with her. But that’s Chris Rock’s thing, like Ricky Garvis. They are roasters extraordinaries. He’s been doing that for decades. Heck, the Smiths know that. Will Smith and Chris Rock have worked together.

It might start a wave of people storming the stage and start assaulting comedians.

And yes, the best way to have handled it was to asked, not physical assault. Making crass and inappropriate jokes is not against the law, physical assault is. Luckily for Will Smith, Chris Rock declined to press charges.

I read the Academy seriously considered removing Will Smith from the theater. But timing was on his side, as Best Actor category was next.

However, this is the number one thing that gets me about Will Smith, and it could be interpreted as even worse than the slap itself…HE LAUGHED AT THE JOKE! Only when he saw the desdain on his wife’s face, did he change his tune.

And lastly. Either Chris Rock has an iron chin or Will Smith hits like a Smurf, lol.
          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Making crass and inappropriate jokes is not against the law, physical assault is. Luckily for Will Smith, Chris Rock declined to press charges.
            Very well said. That's the real thing, Smith committed an act of assualt.
            sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

To me, it looked like tha edge of Smith's palm struck Rock's padded shoulder and dragged along his collarbone softening the blow. I think if it hadn't, Rock would have been knocked a lot further back.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

I guess everybody really does hate Chris.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                  However, this is the number one thing that gets me about Will Smith, and it could be interpreted as even worse than the slap itself…HE LAUGHED AT THE JOKE! Only when he saw the desdain on his wife’s face, did he change his tune.
                  I think we have all been in that situation where we outwardly laugh at something to put on the brave face of "I can take a joke" when inside you find it very hurtful.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

If Dwayne Johnson was hosting and made the exact same joke, Fresh Prince wouldn’t have left his seat. He behaved like a spoiled bully. I was disappointed to hear that not only was he NOT removed the building but later got an award.
                    I guess anyone who gets heckled by a comedian is free to assault them without consequences.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                      ...He behaved like a spoiled bully.
                      There's a lot of that going around, and for a while now. Often, it's quite acceptable and even lauded. I'm amused that anyone would be truly surprised or "outraged" by this.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Chris Rock has been using the Smith's family in his comedy for years, finally during an emotional night it caught up with him. He is lucky it was just a b**ch slap instead of an actual hit
                        Last edited by monitor_ep; Mar 28, '22, 4:32 PM.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                          If Dwayne Johnson was hosting and made the exact same joke, Fresh Prince wouldn’t have left his seat.
                          Damn right…

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Chris Rock has been using the Smith's family in his comedy for years, finally during an emotional night it caught up with him. He is lucky it was just a b**ch slap instead of an actual hit
                            That doesn't give him the right to assault the guy. If that was the case, Don Rickles would have died of contusions 60 years ago.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

Smith was totally out of line. yes, the joke was in very poor taste, but they should be used to it. you have to have thick skin to be in the public eye and both Will and Jada have been famous for decades. i suspect this will be held against him for the near future, and then like everything else in Hollyweird some new scandal will divert attention away

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎