X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jetjungle75
    Career Member
    • Jan 11, 2013

Action Jackson query

When these were originally sold, were any of them sold dressed in outfits other than the standard blue jump suits?
    The reason I ask is because I have seen some described as "mint in box", and "never removed from box", but they are dressed in outfits that ordinarily you would have to purchase separately.
    I always thought that when originally sold that they only came in the box wearing the standard light or dark blue jump suits.
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Jetjungle75
    The reason I ask is because I have seen some described as "mint in box", and "never removed from box", but they are dressed in outfits that ordinarily you would have to purchase separately..
    It may depend on the seller?

I mean the figure itself may be 'mint', or close to it, but that doesn't mean he wasn't removed from the box at some point and put in an accessory outfit. That's just speculation on my part.

'Never removed from box', I have no idea with that one.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
      Career Member
      • Jan 11, 2013

Many thanks apes 3978.
      So basically, the original figures were all once dressed in their blue jump suits. The sellers are then removing them from their boxes, and dressing them in another outfit, and then placing them back into their original boxes. They obviously were never originally sold like that.

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Actually there are at least two Action Jackson figures that came boxed without the standard jumpsuits. You can find AJ in his Karate and Aussie Marine outfits in boxes that don't have the "Including Stick On Tattoos" label on the bottom right of the box. The label is replaced by the Mego logo.
        Scott

Comment

• Jetjungle75
          Career Member
          • Jan 11, 2013

Very helpful information Scott. So unless in box without the " Stick on tattoos" label on the bottom right of the box, we can take it that the original figure has been removed, redressed, and then placed back into the box.

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Very helpful information Scott. So unless in box without the " Stick on tattoos" label on the bottom right of the box, we can take it that the original figure has been removed, redressed, and then placed back into the box.
            Yes. Although the only one that I've ever seen is the Aussie Marine in the AJ box. The Museum is where I got the information about the Karate outfit one.
            Scott

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

When these were originally sold, were any of them sold dressed in outfits other than the standard blue jump suits?
              The reason I ask is because I have seen some described as "mint in box", and "never removed from box", but they are dressed in outfits that ordinarily you would have to purchase separately.
              I always thought that when originally sold that they only came in the box wearing the standard light or dark blue jump suits.
              There is a theory that some of the Spanish AJs came in their outfits. These were released in the later version box with the Mego logo on the front instead of tattoo stickers. Can't really prove it conclusively, but the catalog did hint at it with separate catalog numbers. Also as some one else mentioned. Some came in Karate and camo outfit in this later issue box on T2 bodies and darker skin tones. Other than that, I would take "Never removed from box" as never removed (by me) from box.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                Career Member
                • Jan 11, 2013

If you check out this link:

You will see that in addition to this one he has three others that are dressed in different outfits.All four do not have the Mego label in place of the "tattoo" label. So we can assume that they were all removed and redressed.
                There is also one in a nice light blue jumpsuit, which more likely or not, has not been removed from the box.

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

If you check out this link:

You will see that in addition to this one he has three others that are dressed in different outfits.All four do not have the Mego label in place of the "tattoo" label. So we can assume that they were all removed and redressed.
                  That would be my assumption, yes.
                  Scott

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 11, 2013

Many thanks, Scott.

Quite a low starting bid on them.Will be interesting to see what they go for.

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Quite a low starting bid on them.Will be interesting to see what they go for.
                      I haven't actively collected AJ in a while but typically you could get them for around $20 MIB. Maybe $30 for the more rare Black AJ.

The Action Jackson line isn't as collectible as the other Mego 8" action figures but I've always been fond of them.
                      Scott

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

I always think of Action Jackson as sort of the Scrappy Doo of the Mego line.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

I tend to think of Action Jackson as the grand-daddy of the Mego figures.

He was the originator of all that came after...

Now the Wizard of Oz figures, or The Waltons, there are some Scrappy Doo figures for ya

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                            I tend to think of Action Jackson as the grand-daddy of the Mego figures.

He was the originator of all that came after...

Now the Wizard of Oz figures, or The Waltons, there are some Scrappy Doo figures for ya
                            I'm amazed at how cheap you can find Wizard of Oz Megos. Back in 2007 I bought a MIB Glinda for like $15 so I could use the body to make a custom Black Widow. I never did and two years ago I gave it away to a friend of mine that collects Wizard of Oz items. I checked the prices for other Mego Wizard of Oz figures on eBay and they were like $25 tops MIB.
                            Scott

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I have a very low opinion of Scrappy Doo. On the other hand, I really like AJ, the Waltons, and the Wizard of Oz.

The Waltons is a well-made line even if not to everyone's taste. Wizard of Oz is a beautiful line with excellent sales for Mego. The reason WOz is "cheap" and plentiful is because the like sold well, was heavily promoted, and was also embraced by traditional doll collectors.

Checking now, and also in my past experience, MIB WOz tend to run $30-$100 on ebay depending on the character and box variant. To me, prices seem pretty stable in the past ten years.
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 26, '22, 7:52 AM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎