Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I guess I'm just more into reluctant superheroes and not wish fulfillment superheroes. The best heroes are forced into it, not a fantasy come true. Too narcissistic for my taste.

I see several of these traits just in watching the trailer...

9 official criteria for NPD

grandiose sense of self-importance
    preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    belief they’re special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
    need for excessive admiration
    sense of entitlement
    interpersonally exploitative behavior
    lack of empathy
    envy of others or a belief that others are envious of them
    demonstration of arrogant and haughty behaviors or attitudes

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      I guess I'm just more into reluctant superheroes and not wish fulfillment superheroes. The best heroes are forced into it, not a fantasy come true. Too narcissistic for my taste.

preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
      belief they’re special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
      sense of entitlement
      lack of empathy
      Tony Stark would like to have a word...

Kidding aside, I get where you are coming from. For me, one part of what I really liked about Shazam! was how excited Billy Batson was about being a superhero... the wish fulfillment of it all. I'd rather watch that then some movie about what a drag it is to be Superman. I like a little fun in my superheroes. But I know a lot of people like the more dour, reluctant superhero. The Batman seems to be doing really well at the box office and looks well done for what it is. Just hard for me to get excited. So I can certainly understand someone feeling the same way about Ms. Marvel for being too far on the other end of the spectrum. I guess it is nice to be in an era where we have so many comic options to choose from where we can afford to be selective!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Tony Stark didn't start out wanting to be a superhero. He had to build the suit to save his life. Billy Batson didn't start out fantasizing about being a superhero, either. Being excited after the fact and embracing the power is different.

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

sense of entitlement
          lack of empathy
          Sounds like your typical teen :-)

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
            Sounds like your typical teen :-)
            Or, many middle-aged users of social media.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Tony Stark didn't start out wanting to be a superhero. He had to build the suit to save his life. Billy Batson didn't start out fantasizing about being a superhero, either. Being excited after the fact and embracing the power is different.
              The Tony Stark part was in reference to the "9 official criteria for NPD". I agree that he was forced into it... but you gotta admit he is definitely a narcissist!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                The Tony Stark part was in reference to the "9 official criteria for NPD". I agree that he was forced into it... but you gotta admit he is definitely a narcissist!
                You're right about that.

Comment

• bobws
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 13, 2008

First off ...I LOVE STARGIRL! She's a great character done really well and all the JSA talk and reforming it is fantastic. The first season also had Shinning Knight from the 7 Soldiers with Stripsey YES!

Second a few years ago my local library had 5 trades of the new Ms. Marvel so i read them and was impressed with the character. So i am excited about this show and thought the trailer established a decent look at the character and how the show would be. I am definitely looking forward to it.

Third Hawkeye was Fantastic! I haven't caught up on the other shows yet but am working on Wandavision currently.
                  "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I decided I had to give it a try. It was a total fail, if you ask me. Others may feel differently.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

I watched the first episode.
                      It was pretty much what I expected.
                      I probably won't bother watching any more episodes.
                      Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 8, '22, 3:57 PM.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Aside from the slight alteration to the powers/origins, this is a spot on adaptation of the first arc that introduced Kamala Khan in the comics. The look, tone, family dynamics, school drama dynamics, and feel of the series come straight off the page of those early issues.

I found it a very good translation of comics to the screen, and an enjoyable watch. Looking forward to see where they go from here and if they continue to capture the spirit of those comics on the screen.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I thought it was great. Unique and true to the source material. I applaud the MCU giving each character and series their own flavor.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I thought it was great. Unique and true to the source material. I applaud the MCU giving each character and series their own flavor.
                            Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised. She’s actually a pretty good and likable actress. Her powers are obviously different from the original comics but based on the Kamala Khan comics. The modern version doesn’t bother me one bit, as Ms Marvel is not exactly an A-lister superhero.

Nice little show, maybe a tad too teen-oriented for me, but so are the new Spider-Man movies, lol.
                            Last edited by Hector; Jun 9, '22, 4:45 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                              Aside from the slight alteration to the powers/origins, this is a spot on adaptation of the first arc that introduced Kamala Khan in the comics. The look, tone, family dynamics, school drama dynamics, and feel of the series come straight off the page of those early issues.

I found it a very good translation of comics to the screen, and an enjoyable watch. Looking forward to see where they go from here and if they continue to capture the spirit of those comics on the screen.

-M
                              Agreed once again!

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

watched E1 last night. it was fun and quirky. she's a likeable enough character. not sure whether i will watch the rest or not as it is very teen oriented

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎