X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Topps Megos

Any word on the Topps figures? My brother sells Megos and just got his order form from his wholesaler and all of the Topps figures are now listed (not as Topps, but the same characters) for him to order for a June release. I’m kind of hoping I just get refunded at this point and can just order them regularly.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Goblin19
    Any word on the Topps figures? My brother sells Megos and just got his order form from his wholesaler and all of the Topps figures are now listed (not as Topps, but the same characters) for him to order for a June release. I’m kind of hoping I just get refunded at this point and can just order them regularly.
    Was just reading about that elsewhere. There seem to be some slight changes like Taylor and Brent swapped clothes. All the Walmart stuff is on the list too.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

That's an interesting development.

Comment

• RSS
        Museum Robot
        • May 9, 2007

Statement from Joel Rosenzweig of Mego:

Ambassadors: It seems there was a release of information by a distributor that is NOT correct.
        To clarify, The items Mego made for Topps are exclusive to Topps!

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

Thanks. Very interesting.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Hmmm communication problem? or timing issue?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              There seem to be some slight changes like Taylor and Brent swapped clothes.

You mean there's a Taylor decked out in astronaut gear, and a Brent in loin cloth?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by apes3978
                You mean there's a Taylor decked out in astronaut gear, and a Brent in loin cloth?
                if that is literally the only difference between Topps figures and the regular release, that is a serious bait and switch issue

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Possibly the clip art of Taylor Is in his space suit

Originally posted by apes3978

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    if that is literally the only difference between Topps figures and the regular release, that is a serious bait and switch issue
                    How so? Swapping the outfits on the two Topps figures would make legit figures, right? As long as they do not release Taylor in lion cloth and Brent in astronaut gear, those seem like legit variants that should make those that missed or skipped the Topps figures happy and even capable of making their own "Topps" figures.
                    Last edited by TRDouble; Mar 11, '22, 2:47 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      How so? Swapping the outfits on the two Topps figures would make legit figures, right? As long as they do not release Taylor in lion cloth and Brent in astronaut gear, those seem like legit variants that should make those that missed or skipped the Topps figures happy and even capable of making their own "Topps: figures.
                      Yes, you got it!
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• drogge
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 24, 2009

I am all for it, I want everyone to be able to get their hands on these figures. I do however wrestle with the shipping costs TOPPS charged. Mego should recognize the steep costs perhaps give those who were able to support the TOPPS figures a free item. Not an exclusive free item, something others can pay for but free for the TOPPS supporters. I paid over 300 dollars in shipping costs for figures that I ordered over six months ago. It seems like a good compromise.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 23, 2019

This entire Topps thing has been a debacle from the beginning... It's great they made available some awesome figures, but, as we all know, shipping was incredible costly for some people. As a Canadian, it was extreme to say the least and I was only able to pre-order a small number of what was offered (and the, of course, the Gorgon was cancelled).

It also caused a lot of debate on here and on Facebook, especially when the deal was cancelled. Debate is good as long as it stays positive, but there were some cases I recall that led to a bit of arguing and I hate to see that from members of such a great collecting community.

Now, there are concerns about the same figures being released at retail, which many feel is unfair after paying high costs through Topps. Granted, these will likely be variants of some sort and not exactly what Topps was offering, but, in my case, I am not too concerned about variants and still consider these to be pretty much the same item (unless the variations are major).

I just hope this can be considered a lesson learned on everyone's part and, going forward, Mego can make all its figures available to all its fans and collectors in an affordable and easy-to-get fashion. Again, as a Canadian, I already miss out on ordering the Ghostbusters line, which sucks. There are so many collectors in other parts of the world who would love to own these figures as well as any and all future offerings.
                          "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by drogge
                            I am all for it, I want everyone to be able to get their hands on these figures. I do however wrestle with the shipping costs TOPPS charged. Mego should recognize the steep costs perhaps give those who were able to support the TOPPS figures a free item. Not an exclusive free item, something others can pay for but free for the TOPPS supporters. I paid over 300 dollars in shipping costs for figures that I ordered over six months ago. It seems like a good compromise.
                            I know the shipping sucked for the Topps figures, and that was just for the US customers; Canadians were truly shafted thanks to the shipping.

But in the time Mego has returned, I have received free correctly sized 14" Batman head, an awesome free Green Lantern suit, a free replacement body and head for Dr. McCoy, and a free replacement body with head for Michael Burnham. Mego was fixing issues that happened on their end and I appreciate that, especially for a smaller "new" company trying to create and keep their customer base. I have a Hasbro HasLab Sentinel that I am scared to open because of the knee issue design and knowing there is no replacement coming.

But the Topps thing is different. I just checked my orders and Ugh! I didn't mind the $19.99 per figure, but the shipping sucked. But I made that choice to buy and pay the shipping costs, with one of the keys being that these figures would only be available via Topps. I personally don't feel like Mego needs to make good on the high shipping costs. I don't feel like Topps does either, but if someone did, I would say Topps does, not Mego.

I think Mego should say thank you for being a customer, and perhaps to make better deals in the future, but that's about it, if even that.

That being said, if all my orders are shipped together in one box, we have a BIG problem...

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                              Radioactive!
                              • Feb 13, 2010

Hey TRDouble,

How did you get the McCoy replacement head and body?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎