• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
    It is... in fact... *a* solution.
    Tom Cruise uses a box to look taller maybe that's "a" solution too.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

It’s pretty much the same solution.

Comment

• ToyBob
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        I agree with your overall point, but on this instance, not sure I know which figures you're referring to.

But I will say, that although the re-releases/special editions of the GI Joe Adventure Team figures were hardly perfect (some minor issues with flocking, some people didn't like the head) they were for all intents and purposes pretty darn good recreations. And the bodies were fully poseable, near perfect recreations of the vintage figures.

You may be talking about another release I don't recall of course.
        Yeah I cited the wrong one, it was the 1995 12" Hall of Fame line, a while ago but it's an awfully stiff low articulation body compared to any other GI Joe I'd seen. Guessing they were trying to save on tooling and parts cost for what they assumed would only be displayed MIB rather than posed or played with ever.

Wasn't trying to touch a nerve with that, mainly just listing examples of approximations that fell short of originals. Like NuMego using O-rings despite originals using a specific band type, where you wonder if they even make those bands anymore and if they do why aren't they inside NuMego.
        Happens a lot with vintage product recreations where often one or more part can't be made anymore, they don't use the same plastic tolerances, nobody still makes that computer chip, no new Vacuum fluorescent displays, the paint changed, or the computer assisted modeling lacks definition compared to wax sculpts. That's what makes Mego's switch to bandless bodies such a wise one Ie. roll with the punches.
        I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• nubee
          Career Member
          • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          That's not a solution. This body should have not made it to production.
          Exactly how I feel.

From observation, I doubt one can just swap the Sidekick body with a Type S to alleviate the height issue. The suit will be too small on the Type S. I guess with non-superheroes, depending on the clothing, it may work. the Mutant from POTA should be no problem but DC heroes, I doubt it. This is why Mego is no longer getting my $$$ for any of the DC characters.
          Last edited by nubee; May 27, '22, 1:03 PM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by nubee
            Exactly how I feel.

From observation, I doubt one can just swap the Sidekick body with a Type S to alleviate the height issue. The suit will be too small on the Type S. I guess with non-superheroes, depending on the clothing, it may work. the Mutant from POTA should be no problem but DC heroes, I doubt it. This is why Mego is no longer getting my $$$ for any of the DC characters.
            The 8" Market is highly competitive for Mego to let an Oversight of this Magnitude pass them by. I hope that there would be a response soon in the order of a quick resolve to this dilemma.
            Last edited by Ivaniski; May 27, '22, 2:52 PM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by ToyBob
              Yeah I cited the wrong one, it was the 1995 12" Hall of Fame line, a while ago but it's an awfully stiff low articulation body compared to any other GI Joe I'd seen. Guessing they were trying to save on tooling and parts cost for what they assumed would only be displayed MIB rather than posed or played with ever.

Wasn't trying to touch a nerve with that, mainly just listing examples of approximations that fell short of originals. Like NuMego using O-rings despite originals using a specific band type, where you wonder if they even make those bands anymore and if they do why aren't they inside NuMego.
              Happens a lot with vintage product recreations where often one or more part can't be made anymore, they don't use the same plastic tolerances, nobody still makes that computer chip, no new Vacuum fluorescent displays, the paint changed, or the computer assisted modeling lacks definition compared to wax sculpts. That's what makes Mego's switch to bandless bodies such a wise one Ie. roll with the punches.
              Oh no worries and no nerves touched! You're right I forgot about those wonky HOF figs. I was just chiming in because those later Joe re-releases are underrated!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎