X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by lucasd4
    The Invisible Man on the regular Mego body is taller than Snake Eyes on the new bandless body.
    Thanks for the pics! I assume that is what TRDouble meant to say. I'm guessing he meant "IM was slightly taller than Snake-Eyes".

Comment

• nubee
      Career Member
      • Feb 15, 2010

The Invisible Man on the regular Mego body is taller than Snake Eyes on the new bandless body. Make sure your Snake Eyes has his boots pushed all the way onto his feet. Both of my Snake Eyes figures had boots not pushed all the way onto the feet, which made the figures appear taller. The new bandless body is a bit shorter than the regular Mego body and quite a bit shorter than the Type S.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33125[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33127[/ATTACH]
      Still shrimpy compared to the banded Mego body :(.

It should still be properly called the Side kick body.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

The Invisible Man on the regular Mego body is taller than Snake Eyes on the new bandless body. Make sure your Snake Eyes has his boots pushed all the way onto his feet. Both of my Snake Eyes figures had boots not pushed all the way onto the feet, which made the figures appear taller. The new bandless body is a bit shorter than the regular Mego body and quite a bit shorter than the Type S.

[Pictures removed]
        Thanks for the pictures!

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
          Thanks for the pics! I assume that is what TRDouble meant to say. I'm guessing he meant "IM was slightly taller than Snake-Eyes".
          Nah, my IM was definitely shorter than Snake-Eyes. So I went back to look and Snake-Eyes was taller than Storm Shadow too; I never noticed because Storm Shadow was hunched to support his backpack.

So I checked Snake-Eyes boots and sure enough, he was on his tippy toes. I pushed the feet fully into the boots and yep, he is shorter, just like in lucasd4's pictures. Bummer.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by ToyBob
            Funny about the posing since I just got some vintage Mego figures and they pose better than NuMego with superior bands so anything to increase pose retention is excellent in my books.
            It's one of my personal immense frustrations that I can buy a 50 year old Type 1 off of Ebay, that some kid played with and beat to hell for 10 years + another 40 years of who knows what sort of treatment and yet, that figure will arrive and be more poseable and sturdier than a new Mego fresh out of the package. It's just unfathomable.

On some level, EMCE had the same issues forever and for all intents and purposes, NuMego is just EMCE bodies, but it's like, an issue that was never addressed. The bands are too tight, the metal hooks break the figures, etc, etc. I always assumed that for better or worse Doc just couldn't afford to implement the changes needed, but those same issues carried over into the new Mego company and it's just bizarre that these issues weren't fixed.

I feel like there was a great chance for people to see that Mego was a poseable, fun toy, but pretty much everyone who is new to Mego who reviews these figures on YT or whatever, is like "The arms fall apart, I can barely move it, better if it just stands there" and I just find that a real loss given how well the vintage figures still move and pose.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              On some level, EMCE had the same issues forever and for all intents and purposes, NuMego is just EMCE bodies, but it's like, an issue that was never addressed. The bands are too tight, the metal hooks break the figures, etc, etc. I always assumed that for better or worse Doc just couldn't afford to implement the changes needed, but those same issues carried over into the new Mego company and it's just bizarre that these issues weren't fixed. ...
              I share the same frustrations with you concerning the legacy issues that seemed to pass on from emce to the new mego bucks. The difference in materials used for the limbs made the arm loop connection a very weak link and, depending on the tightness of the bands used on the figures, could potentially pull apart even an unopened figure. The hip pins seem to be something new in terms of fragility, but even those were having issues with the earlier emce bodies. I am happy to note that the uneven pelvis mold seems to have finally been addressed, as that was a problem throughout emce and contributed to odd posing and stance issues. They did fix that, tho, and I had hopes that the other issues would somehow be addressed.

I have seen a disclaimer that the new bodies are still sort of a work in progress, and I have hopes that things like size/scale and the odd torso to pelvis joint will be worked out as newer generations of these bodies are put onto the assembly line.

Comment

• ToyBob
                Museum Patron
                • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                It's one of my personal immense frustrations that I can buy a 50 year old Type 1 off of Ebay, that some kid played with and beat to hell for 10 years + another 40 years of who knows what sort of treatment and yet, that figure will arrive and be more poseable and sturdier than a new Mego fresh out of the package. It's just unfathomable.

On some level, EMCE had the same issues forever and for all intents and purposes, NuMego is just EMCE bodies, but it's like, an issue that was never addressed. The bands are too tight, the metal hooks break the figures, etc, etc. I always assumed that for better or worse Doc just couldn't afford to implement the changes needed, but those same issues carried over into the new Mego company and it's just bizarre that these issues weren't fixed.

I feel like there was a great chance for people to see that Mego was a poseable, fun toy, but pretty much everyone who is new to Mego who reviews these figures on YT or whatever, is like "The arms fall apart, I can barely move it, better if it just stands there" and I just find that a real loss given how well the vintage figures still move and pose.
                It's a reoccurring issue with past products made in the present like for example comparing an original Speak & Spell to that replicated 2019 one they made for nostalgia sales. Both the manufacturing industry and product focus shifted from durable-toy to thing that looks the part but is missing much of what you liked at the onset. Same can said of the later day large anniversary GI Joe figures where the clothes look right but underneath is not the fully poseable body they used to make, again looking like but not being the thing you remember.

Just playing catch up on who's who like EMCE, oh I see heh. Strange when I see just how many players are involved in essentially making the same thing Ie. 8" figures with some getting further or shorter than others. Would love to see some kind of unified action from all or one of them pulling ahead of the pack which I think Mego has managed with the new body because nobody is doing bands well anymore for whatever reason(s).

It's not a good look for Mego on YT when so many reviews are negative, I'm neutral about it but I don't blame anyone for commenting on defects and breaks. I can say with some certainty that any new buyers for NuMego are likely already turned off by these reports and aren't likely to investigate how cool the vintage figures were. Before I tried vintage I was skeptical that Mego was as good as I heard fans speak about it but it's pretty sweet.
                I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 24, 2007

This may be a "Silly" question...But,..is Mego planning to rectify their current "Small" bandless body with a more 8" scale bandless body Ver. 2.0 ?

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by ToyBob
                    Same can said of the later day large anniversary GI Joe figures where the clothes look right but underneath is not the fully poseable body they used to make, again looking like but not being the thing you remember.
                    I agree with your overall point, but on this instance, not sure I know which figures you're referring to.

But I will say, that although the re-releases/special editions of the GI Joe Adventure Team figures were hardly perfect (some minor issues with flocking, some people didn't like the head) they were for all intents and purposes pretty darn good recreations. And the bodies were fully poseable, near perfect recreations of the vintage figures.

You may be talking about another release I don't recall of course.

Comment

• nubee
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                      This may be a "Silly" question...But,..is Mego planning to rectify their current "Small" bandless body with a more 8" scale bandless body Ver. 2.0 ?
                      I have not heard anything regarding any update to the "Sidekick" body.

Personally, I will no longer buy any DC characters from Mego until they address this "Sidekick" body, with possible loose hip and waist joints. Why should Captain Marvel and Black Adam look up to Dracula(s), IM, the original Star Trek crew, etc?

I doubt Mego will care about this matter, especially given this body been in the works for years, unless the sales show fans are NOT happy.

Krazi me bought 2 Topps Captain Marvel, 2 Black Adam and 3 regular Captain Marvel and 1 regular Black Adam. I thought these two were going to be my definitive Mego. :(

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by nubee
                        I have not heard anything regarding any update to the "Sidekick" body.

Personally, I will no longer buy any DC characters from Mego until they address this "Sidekick" body, with possible loose hip and waist joints. Why should Captain Marvel and Black Adam look up to Dracula(s), IM, the original Star Trek crew, etc?

I doubt Mego will care about this matter, especially given this body been in the works for years, unless the sales show fans are NOT happy.

Krazi me bought 2 Topps Captain Marvel, 2 Black Adam and 3 regular Captain Marvel and 1 regular Black Adam. I thought these two were going to be my definitive Mego. :(
                        Just put them in their boots in tiptoe fashion and they will stand taller, and nobody would be the wiser.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                          Just put them in their boots in tiptoe fashion and they will stand taller, and nobody would be the wiser.
                          That's not a solution. This body should have not made it to production.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            Then their legs will look longer/out of proportion...

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by nubee

I get what you're saying about people not buying/buying less than they normally would of the new bodied figures-However, I wouldn't want sales to go down so much that they say the heck with it and close up shop...

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                That's not a solution. This body should have not made it to production.
                                It is... in fact... *a* solution.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎