X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

ZICA bodies...

Please excuse me if this has been asked before...

I started my hobby into 8 inch figures late in the game... only learned about Zica bodies after they're no longer available and grew expensive int he after markets...

From what I've gathered, there are no plans for ZICA to ever release 8 inch figure again. Who owns the body patent now?

I bought a Tiger man specifically to butcher for a Conan custom and really like it. Would love to use more of them. Is there any other company reproducing these bodies?

any info would help...
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I believe ZICA sold the body molds to Diamond Select. There were a few prototype figures made using the body-- Stallone from the Expendables, for instance-- but they never made it into production.

I share your appreciation of the Type-Z. It is still my favorite 1:9 scale body. I doubt it would happen, but I'd love to see Mego or FTC acquire the rights and use it as their "buff body". It seems like someone could get some value from those molds.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by sprytel
      I believe ZICA sold the body molds to Diamond Select. There were a few prototype figures made using the body-- Stallone from the Expendables, for instance-- but they never made it into production.

I share your appreciation of the Type-Z. It is still my favorite 1:9 scale body. I doubt it would happen, but I'd love to see Mego or FTC acquire the rights and use it as their "buff body". It seems like someone could get some value from those molds.
      I'd be ok with FTC getting the body molds. But alter it so the upper torso is screwed together like their s-type bodies. That way we'd be able to give the Z body larger shoulders/arms if desired.
      Wanted:

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

Yeah sadly DST bought the bodies to do some stuff after it seemed like they were done with EMCE. I got to handle some of their Expendibles protos and it really seemed like something was going to take off with that new body. But DST nixed it and never used the body for anything. I assume whatever molds and such they had have since been destroyed.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by ODBJBG
          Yeah sadly DST bought the bodies to do some stuff after it seemed like they were done with EMCE. I got to handle some of their Expendibles protos and it really seemed like something was going to take off with that new body. But DST nixed it and never used the body for anything. I assume whatever molds and such they had have since been destroyed.
          That would be such a shame.... I honestly dislike the majority of DST's general offerings. Their regular action figures have these awful hinge type hip joints that just look hideous...

I also find their choices of franchises to merchandise kind of odd too.

Looks like I might have to hunt down another Tiger man, hopefully not breaking the bank to do so..
          Wanted:

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
            Looks like I might have to hunt down another Tiger man, hopefully not breaking the bank to do so..
            I hear you can get Gil Gerard for a Buck.

...I'll show myself out.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

It’s probably best that the body didn’t get too far along in production considering most of it was a rescaled GI Joe body from the 90’s. Hasbro might have had something to say about it.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                It’s probably best that the body didn’t get too far along in production considering most of it was a rescaled GI Joe body from the 90’s. Hasbro might have had something to say about it.
                Oh wow...now that you mention it... I get why the torso looks so familiar now...

But the human body can't be copyrighted though... as long as the thumb nail is in the correct places, it should have been ok.
                Wanted:

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Oh wow...now that you mention it... I get why the torso looks so familiar now...

But the human body can't be copyrighted though... as long as the thumb nail is in the correct places, it should have been ok.
                  The sculpt could be copyrighted in theory. The torso is very stylized and specific.

Probably wouldn’t catch Hasbro’s eye because of the extremely low numbers either way.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ZICA
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                    The body was actually a tweaked hybrid of a 90's G.I. Joe body and a Big Jim body. The torso and arms were G.I. Joe and the legs were Big Jim.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by ZICA
                      The body was actually a tweaked hybrid of a 90's G.I. Joe body and a Big Jim body. The torso and arms were G.I. Joe and the legs were Big Jim.
                      I only own one that I used for my Conan custom, but I will say...the craftsmanship on the body AND the Tiger man sculpt/clothing were gorgeous.
                      Wanted:

Comment

• ZICA
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2006

I only own one that I used for my Conan custom, but I will say...the craftsmanship on the body AND the Tiger man sculpt/clothing were gorgeous.
                        Thanks, glad you were impressed with the figure.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

I was a huge fan of the rubber grappling hands. I wish someone would actually make hands like that.
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I only own one that I used for my Conan custom...

Me, too! Perfect.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

Yeah it was a great body neck to toe.
                              Last edited by ODBJBG; Feb 10, '22, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎