Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on which brand of 8" DC figures to buy - Batman, Flash, Penguin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Which FTC Batman goes well with the Mego Robin? I feel like most of the FTC Batman figures have those gloves that come off and look like their arms have been severed. That being said, the reproductions of the originals that FTC makes are absolute jewels. I even have some giant ones! The Mego Batman is great, and the recent 14" inch one is a treat. If i remember correctly there is a great blue and grey 14" mego Batman.

BTW since we are on the subject can somebody recommend a good custom for the '66 Batman and Robin arms? They are great figures otherwise It didn't bother me so much when they first came out but as time goes on that can hardly be the solution. :-(

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by Sabin
      That's good to know. Thanks! Have your customized any of the recent Mego DC figures, or are they generally up to snuff?
      I'm pleased with the current Mego DC offerings, but I'm more inclined towards the old school Super friends looks. I do own current comic style Superman,
      He's sculpted well with a quality costume except the belt.
      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• KingKickass1983
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by zeedox
        Which FTC Batman goes well with the Mego Robin? I feel like most of the FTC Batman figures have those gloves that come off and look like their arms have been severed. That being said, the reproductions of the originals that FTC makes are absolute jewels. I even have some giant ones! The Mego Batman is great, and the recent 14" inch one is a treat. If i remember correctly there is a great blue and grey 14" mego Batman.

BTW since we are on the subject can somebody recommend a good custom for the '66 Batman and Robin arms? They are great figures otherwise It didn't bother me so much when they first came out but as time goes on that can hardly be the solution. :-(
        If I remember right, FTC makes rubber cuffs in different colors along with colored hands sold separately.

That might look good.
        Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Also remember that you can buy most of the FTC/CTVT costumes and head seperate https://www.classictvtoys.com/dccomi...cessories.aspx
          and put them on Mego bodies or the new S-Type bodies.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Thanks! i know the umbrella is a must-have for Penguin. Do you prefer him with an opened or closed one?
            I personally would go with the closed one, but you can always buy both with the brown handle.

Comment

• Sabin
              • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by TrekStar
              I personally would go with the closed one, but you can always buy both with the brown handle.
              That's a good idea! Thanks

Comment

• Sabin
                • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                Also remember that you can buy most of the FTC/CTVT costumes and head seperate https://www.classictvtoys.com/dccomi...cessories.aspx
                and put them on Mego bodies or the new S-Type bodies.
                i'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Comment

• Sabin
                  • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                  Never said I didn’t like it. The head sculpt is amazing. Just not “my” Batman
                  Ok, "don't like it" doesn't actually reflect my feelings about the Mego Batman either. if he was blue/gray and with a different emblem, he would definitely be the Batman that i would buy. And actually i still might end up getting him. The FTC New Adventures of Batman cape is bothering me because it's attached to the costume, and their Super Friends Batman looks like the head is too big. So i'm really not sure.

Comment

• Mejo
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jun 30, 2022

Hi, i don't currently own any 8" Mego or Mego-style figures, but they look interesting and remind me of the Super Powers characters i had as a kid. I am going to definitely purchase Mego's recently released Robin, Joker, and Riddler as i think they all look great. But i'm not so sure about Batman, Flash, and Penguin and wondering if i should get them from a different company. I would prefer to have only 1 version of each character because of money and mostly space. I plan to open all the figures i purchase.

Mego's Batman looks pretty good, but i'm more a fan of the blue and gray Batman than the black and gray. Also i've heard that sometimes he has trouble standing. So i'm considering buying Figures Toy Company's Super Friends Batman, but his head kind of looks too big for his body (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/su...es3batman.aspx)
                    or FTC's New Adventures of Batman figure (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...1-2-2-3-1.aspx).
                    How does the recent Mego figure compare to these two from FTC? Or does some other 8" Batman blow them all out of the water?

Mego's Flash also looks good, but i've seen that one of the boots comes attached to the package, warping the boot a little. The FTC Flash figures don't look good to me (his outfit doesn't look like it fits right and the lightning bolts are placed too far above the waist), but the Mattel Flash from around 2010 looks like a good figure. Who has the better Flash? Mego or Mattel?

Finally, Mego's Penguin doesn't look quite as good as some of FTC's. I like the look of their World's Greatest Super Heroes Penguin (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...1-2-2-1-2.aspx).
                    The Batman TV series Penguin also looks pretty good (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...wayne-1-1.aspx).
                    Which is the best Penguin between Mego and the 2 FTC's?

Any advice on any of these 3 characters is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and i apologize for any rough formatting!

I, too, would have preferred the blue and gray Batman, and I'm sure more versions are coming, but the villains (Joker, Riddler, and Penguin) all looked so good I had to buy them ... so I had to get Batman, too! I'd already bought Robin because it looked so good. I was a little disappointed that Robin's cape wasn't cut too straight, nor was it sewn at the edges, so it'll be majorly prone to fraying, but I still like it. Great job on the head sculpt.

Comment

• Mejo
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jun 30, 2022

I wonder why Penguin didn't come with an umbrella ... it makes more sense than Batman coming with a batarang. I mean, that's his main weapon, after all. I'm glad GL will have a lantern.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Mego gave him a removable hat, I guess they felt that was sufficient as an accessory. No gloves, either.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mejo
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jun 30, 2022

True.

And it's a nice hat.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

I guess here is a good spot to remind people the upcoming 50th anniversary Window Boxed Mego figures have the repro blue and gray RC Batman and RM Robin.

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Hi, i don't currently own any 8" Mego or Mego-style figures, but they look interesting and remind me of the Super Powers characters i had as a kid. I am going to definitely purchase Mego's recently released Robin, Joker, and Riddler as i think they all look great. But i'm not so sure about Batman, Flash, and Penguin and wondering if i should get them from a different company. I would prefer to have only 1 version of each character because of money and mostly space. I plan to open all the figures i purchase.

Mego's Batman looks pretty good, but i'm more a fan of the blue and gray Batman than the black and gray. Also i've heard that sometimes he has trouble standing. So i'm considering buying Figures Toy Company's Super Friends Batman, but his head kind of looks too big for his body (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/su...es3batman.aspx)
                              or FTC's New Adventures of Batman figure (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...1-2-2-3-1.aspx).
                              How does the recent Mego figure compare to these two from FTC? Or does some other 8" Batman blow them all out of the water?

Mego's Flash also looks good, but i've seen that one of the boots comes attached to the package, warping the boot a little. The FTC Flash figures don't look good to me (his outfit doesn't look like it fits right and the lightning bolts are placed too far above the waist), but the Mattel Flash from around 2010 looks like a good figure. Who has the better Flash? Mego or Mattel?

Finally, Mego's Penguin doesn't look quite as good as some of FTC's. I like the look of their World's Greatest Super Heroes Penguin (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...1-2-2-1-2.aspx).
                              The Batman TV series Penguin also looks pretty good (https://www.figurestoycompany.com/ba...wayne-1-1.aspx).
                              Which is the best Penguin between Mego and the 2 FTC's?

Any advice on any of these 3 characters is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and i apologize for any rough formatting!
                              Sorry I'm late to the party here, but I do have suggestions, especially if you aren't averse to mixing and matching some things. If you use any mattel stuff, you need to forget about the floppy disaster that is the Mattel 8” body and switch stuff to a Mego (I use vintage, but you can cut the peg off and widen the resulting neck hole on the new type 2 bodies)

Some of this may well be solved by the 50th line, especially Bats and potentially Flash. But looking at what exists now:

Batman: There isn't really an FTC head that isn't oversized other than the copy of the original, and the new Mego head has the same problem, though not quite as bad. The Mattel helmet on their Bruce head isn’t bad, but it is a helmet more than a mask. The Mattel costumes tend to be pretty good, and, if you can get a body with blue hands, it would work (I have actually put the Mattel forearms on a Mego body, but that does take a little work). So a Mattel helmet head on a Mego body with Matty costume might be the best combo.

Flash: If you’re going classic Barry, then avoid the FTC boots by all means. I’ve already had some of their soft boots on a figure in an air conditioned house start to melt into the feet and legs. The Mego boots are made from a much better material, as are Mattel’s. You could go totally retro with Shazam boots, too. The Matty costume and head are both good, so, again, maybe the Matty head and costume on a Mego body.

As for Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot, all the options you mention are pretty good. The FTC comic Pengy has a really well-done costume, but Mego’s is quite good, too. Both hats are a bit oversized, so if that bothers you, the original head may be the way to go. The TV ’66 version does look good and has great tailoring, but, of course, isn’t the comic version, so it depends on how picky you are about that. This one’s hard, as all the options are pretty good. Switching out the hands on the modern Mego for white ones would be the only thing you’d really need to do to that figure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎