X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesharkman
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 1, 2019

loose set survival

I was looking at some of my costumes that I've put on the dolls and am amazed that any of loose stuff we see for sale is in decent shape. In the old days, I used to attempt to buy beat up boxed items or costumes that were on cards so that I could rip them open and put them on dolls.....very carefully. That's a little harder to do now (just about impossible); so, we are left to buy "loose" stuff. I can't believe any of this stuff survived because if it was played with as intended, there's really no way the costumes would survive. Imagine throwing the good captain up in the air 50 times in one day trying to get that parachute to actually work. Or rolling the good captain down the street in the Silver Streak chasing Dr Evil around. BAM! windshield gone in one session...LOL.

The same goes for Matt Mason with the bendy wires always breaking in the ones that I had. Ah...the good ole' days!

thesharkman
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I was able to find a very nice loose Aquaman suit in August '20, though it needs restitched along one leg. I'm on the fence as to whether I want to display it with a Playing Mantis Flash Gordon mask or try for a vintage Aquaman mask. I figured I'd make a belt or repurpose one from a 9" Silver Age DC figure.

The vintage knit fabric is amazing quality, though.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

I totally agree, this stuff compared to Hasbro GiJoe quality just wasn't made to survive. These Ideal suits just snag terribly and I know I need to pull hands off of the bodies before putting them on or taking them off, but kids didn't know that. Not to mention the accessories and how they are super prone to melts just makes me amazed anything survived at all.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thesharkman
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by drquest
        I totally agree, this stuff compared to Hasbro GiJoe quality just wasn't made to survive. These Ideal suits just snag terribly and I know I need to pull hands off of the bodies before putting them on or taking them off, but kids didn't know that. Not to mention the accessories and how they are super prone to melts just makes me amazed anything survived at all.
        hrrrmmmmm, I have never thought to remove hands to put on or take off costumes. I just go extra slow...maybe I should do that. LOL

thesharkman

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
          hrrrmmmmm, I have never thought to remove hands to put on or take off costumes. I just go extra slow...maybe I should do that. LOL

thesharkman
          Yeah ask me how I learned that trick... I think I've killed an Action Boy suit and at least one Phantom suit I think.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡