X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by darkbros
    I'd be happy to trade parts for a couple of those jumpsuits.
    I got some and the boots too
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by danadoll
      So far (as far as new Megos), it’s been these two fellas...
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]32525[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]32526[/ATTACH]
      They’ve gotten the most use in my customs (probably the Mego Charmed Piper figure/head too).

Dana
      I can't believe I forgot Mr. Leslie. A close second to my Chachery would be new Al Bundy. Thank you Paul Clarke.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I have used Bela Lugosi Dracula more than I ever thought I would. Bela showed up in so many Universal movies that the head alone is worth buying as many as I have, then that tuxedo with tails I have used in my ReMego Bar-n-Band & Svengoolie sets. I am currently redoing my house band using the extra tuxedo's and now that I can get that 2 pack of Young Frankenstein with extra hats and walking stick, I am trying to add even more band members.

As for FTC/CTVT I have used Batman '66 Alfred Pennyworth & Mr Freeze more than I can count.
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 13, '22, 12:33 AM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i have used Richie Cunningham a bunch, got a lot of them on clearance from the Target site, i think $5 or less at the time. made Lt Riley for Trek TOS and Wesley Crusher with a hair/eyes repaint. I have also used the Al Bundy and Woody figures with repaints

Comment

• Chris
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 23, 2009

The newish Mego Wolfman seems to have the parts I need at the right price. I might be on my 4th one.
            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Donners.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by Chris
                The newish Mego Wolfman seems to have the parts I need at the right price. I might be on my 4th one.
                Which Wolfman is that? Also...whatcha makin?
                Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• bobws
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 13, 2008

Vintage Mary Ellen Walton was often repurposed to be a Hero.
                  "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

That’s a BIG question with a lot of answers. As far as heads go, In the pre-re-Mego days, when all we had was the old figures, I used Supes, Aquaman, Shazam and Kirk the most, with John Boy being good for a strong jawline. Female options were basically Wonder Woman/Supergirl/Isis, Uhura, Dorothy, Glinda and Mary Ellen (finding an Invisible Girl that didn’t look like the walking dead meant using her a lot less). As for bodies, I always used type 2, and had lots of fun disassembling/reassembling figures depending on what I needed. I used a lot of Trek male bodies for folks in regular clothes as the boots were a lot more streamlined than the removable shoes. I do use a lot of the Dukes black boots, though, as they fit the figures well. And CHiPs were good for black gloved hands. Moving to today, I get a lot of use out of the CTVT heads. Bruce and Dick, once impossible to find, are easy to get and use, and CTVT/FTC has the best Invisible Girl head ever made in the rusty red haired version used on the first Mary Marvel release (the paint job on that beats even the Mego original). Only problem is a lot of the modern repros don’t match the original bodies, or sometimes even the newer ones, so mixing and matching of body parts often ensues. The Nu Megos have provided some good fodder. The bodies until recently were useless from the waist down thanks to jutting left hip syndrome, and the wonky proportions on the female bodies pretty much eliminated them from customizing contention save for a few Trek kitbashes. What I’ve found myself doing is mixing old and new bodies for the guys. If the character needs to show some chest, I take the new head and chest and give it old arms, crotch and legs. If only hands show, I switch the arms to the one matching the head. It is a challenge, as, unlike the old days, almost no one has the same colored body. But the heads have been a boon. The new headsculpt Kirk is fantastic, as is the Wrath of Khan version. Tony Nelson, Caville Supes, Romulan, so useful. Heck, even Joe from Impractical Jokers has uses (and the aforementioned Woody makes a great Per Degaton). And as much as folks questioned the Target choices when the line began, we got some great female heads. Piper, Phoebe, two Kellys, Jeannie, Full House, Sirena; there may not be a lot of sculpts, but the paint jobs are fantastic. Again, matching old bodies is a challenge if body parts are showing. Arms and hands can switch out without too much fidgeting, and you can actually use an original female crotch piece with the new torso and legs to come up with a usable, slightly shorter body.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Good point about the Target gal heads.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyBob
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 21, 2022

I just started so I imagine it was pretty hard to make customs when Mego went away for a long time there Scott. I don't think I would have started such projects without the wealth of vendor options currently around. Being able to just buy a Dirty Harry head is sweet.

Just learning the history but I really hate the Mego female parts, seen a few examples of revising them and I'm likely to have a go too heh. So I've been looking elsewhere, got an Yvonne to see what I could do with that.
                        Still anything new for Mego females should work, not to beat a dead horse but those license choices weren't very good and it's reflected in the aftermarket prices. Definitely going to get a bunch of TV figures to cannibalize.
                        I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Yeah, the good old days were limited. LJN heads added some possibilities, but weren't great skin tone matches for Megos. Occassional things like Mattel's Real Men, the Knickerbocker Annie line and Primetime's Heroes of the Ice popped up that could be adapted, but the pickings were still pretty scarce overall. The hardest part of the old days, though, was trying to make someone like Black Lightning or John Stewart. Dobey and Huggy Bear heads were a bit bloated and very specific to their characters (and Falcon was way too specific with his mask). The only real options for an African American male were the two LJN heads from Rookies and SWAT. And your choice for a female was Uhura, period (forget about getting the hard to find brown skinned Dinah Mite). Your Hispanic choice was Ponch (the Menudo figures post Mego basically had pretty much white complexions). And forget any 8" Asian characters. It's a little better now, as we have John Stewart and Ali (Apollo has that annoying blodd by his eye and Candyman's head is oversized). We have Sulu and Bruce Lee for Asian heroes. Nobody else good for Hispanic male characters, and the ladies are basically still at Uhura and Tootie (the latter arguably being better for a Hispanic look based on the skin tone). Still no female head with good Asian features. I want to eventually do Celsius from the 70's Doom Patrol, but the only real option is using a Zira body with hands and head painted to match.

As for the Target figures aftermarket prices, yeah, that does speak to Target's choices in that matter, but I have a hard time complaining about getting a Phoebe a few weeks back for about 10 bucks.
                          Last edited by scott metzger; Mar 30, '22, 8:34 AM.

Comment

• ToyBob
                            Museum Patron
                            • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            Yeah, the good old days were limited. LJN heads added some possibilities, but weren't great skin tone matches for Megos. Occassional things like Mattel's Real Men, the Knickerbocker Annie line and Primetime's Heroes of the Ice popped up that could be adapted, but the pickings were still pretty scarce overall. The hardest part of the old days, though, was trying to make someone like Black Lightning or John Stewart. Dobey and Huggy Bear heads were a bit bloated and very specific to their characters (and Falcon was way too specific with his mask). The only real options for an African American male were the two LJN heads from Rookies and SWAT. And your choice for a female was Uhura, period (forget about getting the hard to find brown skinned Dinah Mite). Your Hispanic choice was Ponch (the Menudo figures post Mego basically had pretty much white complexions). And forget any 8" Asian characters. It's a little better now, as we have John Stewart and Ali (Apollo has that annoying blodd by his eye and Candyman's head is oversized). We have Sulu and Bruce Lee for Asian heroes. Nobody else good for Hispanic male characters, and the ladies are basically still at Uhura and Tootie (the latter arguably being better for a Hispanic look based on the skin tone). Still no female head with good Asian features. I want to eventually do Celsius from the 70's Doom Patrol, but the only real option is using a Zira body with hands and head painted to match.

As for the Target figures aftermarket prices, yeah, that does speak to Target's choices in that matter, but I have a hard time complaining about getting a Phoebe a few weeks back for about 10 bucks.
                            Oh hadn't heard about the Primetime's Heroes of the Ice line, I'll have to check that out. Been looking at Pez dispensers for some head options lately. Oh right that was Target's influence, forgot that.

Yeah I could see that about slim pickings in ethnic appearance, really wasn't much to work with in the past. I don't like that blood on Apollo either, I'm going to take some nail polish remover to that when I get him. Saw a good Candyman reuse as Peter from Dawn of the Dead, I guess it is kind of big heh. John Stewart is a nice sculpt, I'd definitely use it. I like the Uhura head but it doesn't look much like Nichelle, saw a custom one that was much better.

I think Mego should to do some From Dusk Till Dawn figures, that would add some Hispanic heads. Guess if they did Cheech & Chong 50% of that would be Hispanic heh.

True that is probably the weakest Mego head option in the past and present, Asian female. The BBP Miles from Lost is decent imo. I think Megos of popular kung fu movie actors would sell well like Jackie Chan or Jet Li, plenty of costume options too. I'm struggling to think of a potentially strong selling Asian female character for Mego, a license with some good options.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by ToyBob
                              Oh hadn't heard about the Primetime's Heroes of the Ice line, I'll have to check that out. Been looking at Pez dispensers for some head options lately. Oh right that was Target's influence, forgot that.

Yeah I could see that about slim pickings in ethnic appearance, really wasn't much to work with in the past. I don't like that blood on Apollo either, I'm going to take some nail polish remover to that when I get him. Saw a good Candyman reuse as Peter from Dawn of the Dead, I guess it is kind of big heh. John Stewart is a nice sculpt, I'd definitely use it. I like the Uhura head but it doesn't look much like Nichelle, saw a custom one that was much better.

I think Mego should to do some From Dusk Till Dawn figures, that would add some Hispanic heads. Guess if they did Cheech & Chong 50% of that would be Hispanic heh.

True that is probably the weakest Mego head option in the past and present, Asian female. The BBP Miles from Lost is decent imo. I think Megos of popular kung fu movie actors would sell well like Jackie Chan or Jet Li, plenty of costume options too. I'm struggling to think of a potentially strong selling Asian female character for Mego, a license with some good options.
                              I wish we could get some karate chop hands in flesh color...
                              Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• ToyBob
                                Museum Patron
                                • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                                I wish we could get some karate chop hands in flesh color...
                                Now you got me looking at Remco Karate Kid toys. Got to get some Miyagi figures, really want that NECA one.

Yeah do need some more hands, got a body recently with Open and Fist but can't always find Pole Grip or Trigger hands. They are a pretty small part to make, here's hoping Mego makes more hand types in the future. Along with Chop hands perhaps another Fonzie thumbs up and the Peace sign like Anime figures often have.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎