• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

I SHOULD be working...

I work at an auto shop as a go-fer.

Right now they have me working front desk because the head mechanic, though competent in his skills just gets flustered when he has to talk on the phone (older Italian guy).

So, I answer phones and go pick up or deliver parts when needed. On my down time...like now. I am in front of a computer.

I swear...so thankful I have net access.

Just got back from a shell station picking up 13 gallons of diesel. Some guy accidentally put regular gas in his truck...

Whole place smells like oil...

How you guys doin?
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I worked at a Carquest for a couple of years but back then it was just a dumb terminal with no internet yet. We were never slow enough that I would have had time to surf anyway.

Why didn't they just have you pick up one gallon of diesel and let the owner refill it after pick-up? If he spaces out and does it again that's just more money for your shop;-0

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
      I worked at a Carquest for a couple of years but back then it was just a dumb terminal with no internet yet. We were never slow enough that I would have had time to surf anyway.

Why didn't they just have you pick up one gallon of diesel and let the owner refill it after pick-up? If he spaces out and does it again that's just more money for your shop;-0
      Ah see, it's a box truck. They completely filled it with regular gas.

We had to drain out the tank.

They had me get 13 gallons just in case there were any other nonsense to prep for. Also, the mechanic is old school. Insists on being honest and all...
      Last edited by KingKickass1983; Feb 4, '22, 1:22 PM.
      Wanted:

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
        Ah see, it's a box truck. They completely filled it with regular gas.

We had to drain out the tank.

They had me get 13 gallons just in case there were any other nonsense to prep for. Also, the mechanic is old school. Insists on being honest and all...
        I hear ya. Now that I'm in my 50s I just don't want to lug around thirteen gallons of anything. And I forgot that they may need to use a good bit of that to flush and wash depending on what the owner did.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          I hear ya. Now that I'm in my 50s I just don't want to lug around thirteen gallons of anything. And I forgot that they may need to use a good bit of that to flush and wash depending on what the owner did.
          I get all the goofy jobs. Lowest on the totem pole as the boss likes to say. I was originally hired into an apprenticeship kind of deal, but they realized I'm pretty good with customers and answering phones. Not to mention data entry, and handling money.

If they need something picked up or delivered, they'd rather I do it and the mechs can continue working. And if they REALLY need extra hands, they'll call me into the shop.

Overall it's not a bad job.
          Wanted:

Comment

• KingKickass1983
            Career Member
            • Jan 19, 2019

Reading comics all day. There are worse jobs...
            Wanted:

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎