Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Megos still in stores in the late 80s?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVintageToyKid
    Career Member
    • Jul 23, 2019

I don't remember the exact year but had to be early 1980s for sure, I was at a local discount department store with my mother, grandmother and cousin, and came across a bunker filled with Mego Spider-Man figures. The thing is, they were all loose – no boxes, no cardbacks or bubbles and no baggies. My cousin and I both got one that day and that was my very first Mego figure until a short time later when my parents bought me a carded Robin and a carded Superman.
    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by ODBJBG
      …But it's not like you'd find WGSH on the shelves at the local K-Mart.
      Au contraire!, my local kingdom of blue light blessings had some peg warming WGSH and even Tomland MOL on the racks as they liquidated the store in the late 80's. Instead, I stupidly bought some office and art supplies.

Comment

• batty
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 9, 2006

I was born in '77 and I remember buying WGSH Batman and Robin, as well as 8" CHiP's figures here at Kmart in Augusta, Ga. I also remember Woolworth selling 8" Star Trek, Dukes of Hazard and 3 3/4" Star Trek the motion picture, all these until the mid 80's .

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I remember finding Dukes of Hazard well into the 90s at Kaybee. There's probably still warehouses full of Kaybee leftovers of Dukes, Kang, Darkseid and Toht.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I bought my Fantastic Four set at Lionel Playworld in Atlanta in 1988. I bought one of each as I had never seen the FF before. Of course I should have bought them out.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Maybe it's because the original 8 inch Mego had almost a two decade run, but well within 10 years they went from clearance isle to collectibles. I remember getting a Mego Spock in 1996 and thinking it must have been found in King Tut's tomb. In reality, it was likely in the discount bin at KB Toys six years before.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
                I bought my Fantastic Four set at Lionel Playworld in Atlanta in 1988. I bought one of each as I had never seen the FF before. Of course I should have bought them out.
                Wow! If I'd seen that then, I'd have a set of FF megos!

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
                  I don't remember the exact year but had to be early 1980s for sure, I was at a local discount department store with my mother, grandmother and cousin, and came across a bunker filled with Mego Spider-Man figures. The thing is, they were all loose – no boxes, no cardbacks or bubbles and no baggies. My cousin and I both got one that day and that was my very first Mego figure until a short time later when my parents bought me a carded Robin and a carded Superman.
                  Wow, that's crazy. They must've been either been from a damaged case or straight from the factory.
                  The hands that grip.

Comment

• bobws
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 13, 2008

Sometime in the early eighties i picked up a Spock off the rack in some store i can't remember where but might of been Kaybee's in the local mall.
                    "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by bobws
                      Sometime in the early eighties i picked up a Spock off the rack in some store i can't remember where but might of been Kaybee's in the local mall.

The KB Toys at the mall here in town had Kirk and Spock on their pegs in the early 80s, so I'm not surprised you were able to score one in your locale...

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 3, 2009

to add a uk perspective ,,while watching a 35 year old episode of minder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minder_(TV_series) last night who should i spot in a shop window ,along with a hulk dress up set ,but palitoy bats ,i was shocked and delighted at the same time lol ,wow those figures were around for a long time ,the episode ,number 5 season 1 ,the bounty hunter ,went out originally in November 1979 ,so they were at retail that year ,and i saw solid boxes of palitoy supes and bats in petticoat lane street market London 4 years later October 1983 ,for a £1 each ,i bought 2 of each and gave them to the nephews of the girl id gone to see, later that day ,figured i could get more next week ,

yeah well we know how that works ,anyway heres the pics and theres some great old stuff in there along with bats

then there are the factory overstock clearance figures that brian has been chronicling in his videos from the uk seaside shops that had clearance mego overstock way into the 80s ,im sure some were still unsold in back rooms waiting to be put out until the early 90s

and to add on a trip to orlando in 1991 i came across a lionel's playworld that still had pin pin torch and mr fantastic's on clearance

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 3, 2009

managed to find the show ,palitoy batman at 18.09 ,or hopefully just after where ive linked it to

Last edited by libby 1957dog; Mar 3, '22, 8:03 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

around 86-87, i was in Shop Rite and in the small toy section they had, i found Action Jackson and several outfits. must have been old store stock that someone uncovered. i of course snatched up what i could afford at the time, which wasn't much.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              around 86-87, i was in Shop Rite and in the small toy section they had, i found Action Jackson and several outfits. must have been old store stock that someone uncovered. i of course snatched up what i could afford at the time, which wasn't much.
                              That reminds me... about 1989, my local Walgreens started carrying Lion Rock reproductions. I had never heard of the Lion Rock figures, but I was fascinated by them... they looked exactly like Mego but they were smaller! They seemed like some missing link between GI Joe and Mego. I bought up every one they carried and would check back constantly to see if they had gotten in new figures.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, the Lion Rock body was what they used for the Teen Titans. i remember seeing those knockoffs in the mid eighties, 84-85. even picked up a couple

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎