Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Megos still in stores in the late 80s?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Were Megos still in stores in the late 80s?

I have a friend that was born in 1982 that's really into horror movies. He is all excited about this new Netflix "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" show so I told him that I thought Mego might be making an action figure from it and I showed him a picture of a previously released TCM figure. This led to him telling me that he remembered getting a Mego Spider-Man, possibly on a Parkdale card, in the mid to late 80s.

The last time that I saw Megos was at a Child World in 1981 as they still had leftover Teen Titans, Superman, Spider-Man, and Hulk action figures at blowout prices of like $1 or $2 each. I believe that finding a Mego in chain store in the mid to late 80s wouldn't be an impossibility but it would have been super rare as stock gets rotated and they wouldn't give shelf or rack space to a company that was no longer in business or supplying new product since 1980/1981. I briefly worked at a Toys R Us in 1986 and they had no Mego products whatsoever.

Is it possible that Megos were still available in stores in the mid to late 80s?
    Scott
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i think broken Hulk's were still on pegs around 86 or 87, though i could be mis-remembering

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

If you count Eagle Force,yes. Lionel Kiddie City still had them on the pegs until they went out.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        i think broken Hulk's were still on pegs around 86 or 87, though i could be mis-remembering
        I recall this as well, circa 1984. In fact, same toy dept in which I first saw Manglor.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 31, '22, 10:42 PM. Reason: Date corrected
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          If you count Eagle Force,yes. Lionel Kiddie City still had them on the pegs until they went out.
          My local TRU (the one that I would eventually work at about 4 years later) had quite a few The Buck Rogers Star Fighter Command Centers on the bottom shelf of the action figure aisle when the Masters of the Universe line was first released (1982?).

But, yeah, my original question was about the 8" WGSH or even any of the 8" action figures.
          Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I recall this as well, circa 1884. In fact, same toy dept in which I first saw Manglor.
            Do you recall what stores these broken Hulks were in?
            Scott

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I recall this as well, circa 1884. In fact, same toy dept in which I first saw Manglor.
              I didn’t know mego’s were around in 1884? LOL
              Great great grandpappy Abrams, maybe he interviewed Wyatt Earp as the inspiration and the rest is history.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
                I didn’t know mego’s were around in 1884? LOL
                Great great grandpappy Abrams, maybe he interviewed Wyatt Earp as the inspiration and the rest is history.
                Oops lol, thanks for the sharp eye.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Action Martin
                  Specific to my memory above, Nichols discount department store chain.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

I recall 'CHiPs' figures being in Toys R Us up to probably 1985 or so... And they also had the aforementioned carded 'Hulk' figures too.

I remember KB Toys having 'Dukes of Hazzard' figures for what seems like forever... Well into the 80s for sure.

And, I remember Montgomery Wards having 'Apes' figures in their toy section up until 1981/82 or thereabouts,...And for some odd reason, they had a lone Zira figure even after that (say 1984ish), and I still wish I had bought her.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

I remember seeing Mego in the Toys R Us clearance section until late in the 80s. It was a bunch of Fantastic Four sets and a couple of the villains (Mr. Mxyzptlk and Green Goblin). I actually think they had the American West and Super Knights too, but they were mixed in with Heroes of the American Revolution and I assumed they were all knockoffs.

I stared at those Mego superheroes every time I went to the store. "I'm too old for action figures... If they had Mego Star Trek... Maybe I could dress them in some old Star Trek uniforms or use them as aliens..." I never bit the bullet. Until one day about 1989 I finally said "You know, if they still have them... I'm just going to buy them. I don't care if people think its dorky." But by that time, they were finally gone.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Action Martin
                        my recollection was Toys R US, though I recall Child's World still have Spiderman, Hulk and Superman around 1985

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

Weird timing as I just mentioned this on the Mego Lounge show this Saturday. I was born in the mid-seventies so I don't have ANY memories of actually purchasing a Mego at retail. I had two older brothers who got them for birthdays/Christmas (which I did not) and got hand-me-downs from them and yard sales.

When I went to Disney in Florida, pre-covid, the forst thing I did was visit a Target and buy and AJ. That feeling of seeing them in a store and purchasing at retail was a special moment for me.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

It's possible, but wasn't widespread and was less likely.

However lots of companies still aped Megos and there were some people straight up reusing some Mego stuff and re-releasing under generic brands, so yeah, it could have happened.

But it's not like you'd find WGSH on the shelves at the local K-Mart.

Comment

• knight errant00
                              8 Inch Action Figure
                              • Nov 15, 2005

My little brother found two Mego Iron Man figures -- one carded, one boxed -- at a Target store in '84. He talked our mom into buying the boxed one because it was marked .50 less than the carded one (carded or boxed didn't matter since he wanted it to play with it (he was around 11)). I want to say the boxed Iron Man was stickered at $1.99, but I wouldn't swear to it.

My brother saw a carded Thor at that Target a few months later but couldn't get Mom to buy it. He told me about it when I got home from the DQ where I worked (I'm several years older than he is) and I drove over there but it was already gone.

I'm assuming they were some stockroom finds that just got slapped out on the shelves after someone moved some shelves around and found them. When they closed the long-opened Toy Chest and Children's Palace stores here in the late 80s and early 90s, I made it a point to scout them out for any similar back room discoveries that might have gotten tossed onto the sales floor (no such luck).

That Iron Man? He's standing in the front row of the top shelf of my Mego display -- my brother made him my gift for being a groomsman in his wedding.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎