Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix is threatening another live action He-Man movie.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Netflix is threatening another live action He-Man movie.

I'd be surprised if it actually gets made.

Mattel Films and Netflix Partner on Masters of the Universe Live-Action Motion Picture from The Nee Brothers With Kyle Allen to Star as He-Man
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I think this might actually happen. Certainly more likely than all the other MOTU movie rumors.

Netflix sees $$$ in MOTU and have done three MOTU things now that actually made it to air.

Mattel realizes that an actual MOTU movie may never happen (been in developmental hell for 20 years now) and they've lowered their expectations to what is essentially a "made for TV movie" version of MOTU.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, this seems like it has a chance to actually make it out. I'm sure Netflix wants some of that Disney Plus Marvel/Star Wars action, and an established brand like MOTU is a sure way to get it. And these shows actually have more cache than movies these days.

The guy looks like a young Heath Ledger. I'm not familiar with him, but I'll give him a shot. Not sure about Adam being an orphan, though. Seems an unnecesary change, unless it's a King Arthur type reveal or something.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Werewolf
        I'd be surprised if it actually gets made.

https://toynewsi.com/414-41627
        Gross. That kid looks like my 12-year-old nephew. Only skinnier.

What is wrong with these Hollyweird types and casting over the last decade?

Go find the next Chris Hemsworth to play the role. Gee whiz.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Yeah, this seems like it has a chance to actually make it out.
          I guess I'm just a little jaded at this point. In the era of Covid a Netflix movie does make a lot more sense than a theatrical release.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I agree with you about the lead. Watching "Peacemaker", I was just thinking that John Cena would make a great He-Man. That kid is no John Cena.

I don't agree about this being essentially a "made for TV movie". Many Netflix movies are every bit as big budget and well-done as movies with theatrical releases. So I don't think the platform should be the cause for concern here.

My main concern is really just whether or not they actually "get" He-Man. My money is on something pitched as "Masters of the Universe meets Game of Thrones"... which... no, just no.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
              I don't agree about this being essentially a "made for TV movie". Many Netflix movies are every bit as big budget and well-done as movies with theatrical releases. So I don't think the platform should be the cause for concern here.
              It's not a cause for concern, but if this was going to be released theatrically, it would have a budget of $250-$300 million and possibly even higher.

Netflix movies on average have 1/3 of that. The highest they've ever spent on a film is $200 million and it remains to be seen if that is going to be profitable for them as they've began slashing budgets on more recent projects.

I'm sure it will look fine, but Netflix films are basically "made for TV" or "direct-to-DVD/VHS" of this era.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

The casting doesn't faze me. They could CGI He-Man (like Hulk), muscle suit or cast a different actor. Honestly, I still doubt it will even get made. We've only heard one person cast, seen no character designs or sets being built.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Scrapped. No surprise there.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/m...x-1235673281/#!
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎