Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered "vintage" in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

What is considered "vintage" in your opinion?

I've thought about this quite a bit recently.

Looking back, in the year 2000, Kenner Star Wars figures made in 1978 were considered vintage, and they were only 22 years old.
    Now, it's 22 years later, and I have toys made in 1990 that are 32 years old!

Do you consider stuff like Toybiz Marvel superheroes, Playmates Star Trek, etc. vintage? If not, why not? What is the criteria?
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

In my damaged brain: Anything before 1990. A toy can be old and still not be vintage.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The original Masters of Universe line was 18 when the Commemorative line came out in 2000. The Commemorative line is 22 years old this year. It's now older than original line was when it came out. I guess that makes the Commemorative line vintage and the original line antique? Wowzers!
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

I don't know if I always assign a date to vintage, tho I would generally think 60s and 70s. Vintage to me is often the original iteration of a toy or toy line, combined with the overall age. Such as a vintage Kenner Star Wars item made in 1979 or a vintage Mego Dukes of Hazard item made in 1982. I would consider Hasbro's Nightmare Before Christmas toys from 1993 vintage vs NECAs 2002 versions which are identical.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
          The original Masters of Universe line was 18 when the Commemorative line came out in 2000. The Commemorative line is 22 years old this year. It's now older than original line was when it came out. I guess that makes the Commemorative line vintage and the original line antique? Wowzers!
          I know...crazy right?

Makes me feel old. LOL

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I'm pretty loose with it. Even though I never bought any of them for myself, the earliest Bandai Power Rangers would be considered vintage by me, because they are the initial releases of those characters (at least stateside). My nephews had some of those, and my son picked up a few at flea markets when he was young.

Because BTAS figures have been released by DC Direct, the Kenner line is now "vintage", by my estimation.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Well as toys aren't wine and there's much room for interpretation, (with roots in the world of art, objects & antiques) I tend to stick with generally accepted terms of my industry/collector-base: 100+ = antique / 30+ = vintage / something of vintage homage made in the past 20 to 30 years = retro

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Hot wheels, gi joe, barbie, Fisher Price...These are all iconic toys but these are what I consider vintage...
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

I'll pick a somewhat arbitrary date and say pre-1990 is vintage. I say that because after that, toys increasingly became more about collecting and less about being toys, and the amount produced as well as saved for collecting purposes increased dramatically. And I have no data at all to support any of that, it's just kind of a feeling.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by rche
                    I don't know if I always assign a date to vintage, tho I would generally think 60s and 70s. Vintage to me is often the original iteration of a toy or toy line, combined with the overall age. Such as a vintage Kenner Star Wars item made in 1979 or a vintage Mego Dukes of Hazard item made in 1982. I would consider Hasbro's Nightmare Before Christmas toys from 1993 vintage vs NECAs 2002 versions which are identical.
                    Yes, this! In my head, something that is a reissue-- or even a derivation on something established-- can't be vintage... regardless of how old it is.

Powers of the Force will never be vintage (to me) because the original Kenner line preceded it. I would say the same about the two items you mentioned-- the Kidbiz and Playmates figures-- because they are clearly a callback to Mego.

But vintage Furby? Sure! It was an iconic and unique toy... its been 20-years or so... I have no problem calling that vintage.

I realize that my dividing line is totally subjective. For example, I consider Playmates derivative of Mego, but I don't consider Bratz as derivative of Barbie... and I can't articulate the difference.

All I know is it takes more than just being old to be vintage.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Vintage is pretty much always defined by the user. Pretty much anything from your youth and before becomes “vintage” even though as others have pointed out, sometimes other stuff more than meets that criteria but to us it seems “new”. It’s an eye of the beholder kinda thing.

Obviously anything 30-40 years old starts to get that name but how soon for other stuff? Definitely varies depending on who you’re talking to.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                        Career Member
                        • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
                        Well as toys aren't wine and there's much room for interpretation, (with roots in the world of art, objects & antiques) I tend to stick with generally accepted terms of my industry/collector-base: 100+ = antique / 30+ = vintage / something of vintage homage made in the past 20 to 30 years = retro
                        I'm pretty much with you, though I first think of vintage simply as the year of release.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

I thought antique was 50+ years.

Classic 25.

-but Vintage for me is 1983 or before.

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

For me, anything my kids played with is vintage.
                            Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Wrestling figures, Polly Pockets, Furby, etc.
                            So, basically, anything from the 90's back.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 26, 2008

The definition certainly has changed as we get older and if you've been collecting a long time. My 29 year old son would consider the 1996 Power of the Force Star Wars figures and first release Power Rangers vintage. eBay sellers sure think of the 96 Star Wars line as vintage.
                              Chad

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎