Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Ra's Al Ghul wore many outfits, in the comics, and even on BTAS, so I can see a recognizable variant on the shelves. Same goes for Green Arrow whose had a lot of costume changes. A New 52/Rebirth Shazam and Black Adam would make sense too, although I probably would personally pass on those.
    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Taylor will probably get general release in his spacesuit. It would be odd for the general release of Worf in his season 1 red uniform or his DS-9 uniform, but there are options. However, a character like the Borg Queen doesn't have much room for figure variation. I think it is entirely possible that for her (and probably others), the "exclusive variant" will simply be packaging related... maybe something as simple as an individually numbered, foil Topps sticker on the bubble.

As a backer, that wouldn't bother me at all. I always assumed this was a possibility. I am still getting "early access" to those figures. Plus... I voted with my wallet. I suspect collector interest from the Topps experiment will help drive future figure selection for many of these lines.

But will some other people still be upset? Let me explain how the internet works...

Comment

• imlaughing2death
        • Jul 20, 2020

Unrelated but I saw the new Pennywise and Bride of Chucky listed on Mercari. Has anyone seen the rest of this Wave out on shelves yet?

Comment

• MysteryWho
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 16, 2008

I was actually hoping for variants, Taylor for instance, but I would have waited on some of them because the shipping prices were huge. Heck I guess I could complain that in order to get a corrected Reptile I have to jump through international hoops. But like I said I can't get too upset about this stuff, it just seemed worth discussing. Meanwhile, some of the comments on this thread bear hints of childishness and are mildly insulting. Why not bring this conversation up to an adult level?

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Couldn't Mego get away with adding something different to a retail release, like they did with the Van Helsing candlesticks? Change the color of Green Arrow's bow or something, LOL!

I admit, if Mego did release the same exact Topps figures at retail, I'd be a little more ticked than when I pay for a $19.99 Mego from an e-tailer, then find it at Target or Walmart for $15.99, only because of the shipping costs I paid to Topps, which was the biggest deterrent for me buying in, and I still have four orders placed. I'd get over it fairly quickly though.

Even though I ordered a few doubles to make it worth my while, if they showed up at local retail as is or slightly tweaked, I'd be tempted to buy more so I can tweak them the way I want. I could care less about the packaging since my plan is to open them, but if they come boxed, I might consider buying the DC Comics releases. The Happy New Fear boxes are well done.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              Yes I am grasping it, same figure means same figure. A redressed figure is a variant and not the same figure. Seems like you view everything not 100 percent pro mego as whining so I am speaking in terms you grasp.
              "sigh", eye roll....

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

I bought a lot of the Topps figures and would be absolutely thrilled to see versions of those hit regular releases. THere were several figures I really would like extras of for custom fodder, but the price and shipping put me off from doing much of that at the time. I also passed on a few because I had other toy priorities that week, so a second chance would be nice. And variants wouldn't be that hard, even if you use the same exact costume patterns. Some pics of the Borg Queen give the suit a purplish tone. Green Arrow's Longbow Hunters look actually had darker greens than the figure uses. Gray and black uniform for Sisko. Switch outfits on Brent and Taylor. Classic comic colors for the Big Red Cheese and Black Adam. And the original version is still distinct and exclusive.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 15, 2010

If Mego/Topps get re-released and/or variants, hope they do the TOS Klingon Kor.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
                    If Mego/Topps get re-released and/or variants, hope they do the TOS Klingon Kor.

Barnabas Collins
                    Agreed. I ordered one from Topps, but hope all my Trek brothers who missed out get a chance at this figure.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Aug 28, 2018

Agreed. Kor is a must. Bring on Koloth and Captain Klaa from Star Trek V.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 23, 2019

I really would like to get Spoke from The Motion Picture. I am a big Mego Trek collector and customizer, but that figure looked incredible.
                        "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Monstar
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 6, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                          The term “variant” has a lot of wiggle room.
                          This. There are 3 Van Helsing figures in the Hammer line:
                          w/candlesticks
                          w/stake
                          In the 2 pack with Dracula.

In each case, the figures and clothing are exactly the same. Only the accessories are different in the first two cases and the 3rd comes in a generic Mego packaging.

I'd be very disappointed if the Topps "Variants" were a sticker slapped on the card to indicate so.
                          http://twitter.com/MonstarPR

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                            Career Member
                            • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by Monstar
                            In the 2 pack with Dracula.

In each case, the figures and clothing are exactly the same. Only the accessories are different in the first two cases and the 3rd comes in a generic Mego packaging.
                            The two pack is just the carded candlesticks version in a box tray.

Comment

• Monstar
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Mar 6, 2008

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                              The two pack is just the carded candlesticks version in a box tray.
                              I assume the Dracula is exactly the same as the carded version? I think I'll skip out on this release and save the $45.

I was ready to go all-in on this Hammer line but not to keep re-buying the same figure. At least with the boxed Reptile, the dress is a different color.
                              http://twitter.com/MonstarPR

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                                Career Member
                                • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by Monstar
                                I assume the Dracula is exactly the same as the carded version? I think I'll skip out on this release and save the $45.

I was ready to go all-in on this Hammer line but not to keep re-buying the same figure. At least with the boxed Reptile, the dress is a different color.

It IS the carded version. These two-packs are literally two carded figures placed in one cardboard tray box, as a 'gift set', if you will. While Paul did say they had more flocked Werewolves made to fill the order, as far as I know the Drac and Van Helsing are from the original run (albeit that's the last portion of Van Helsings run, as the first portion came with stakes). Remove them from the cardboard tray box and you've got... the same carded figures you likely happily bought months ago (I certainly did). If anything, I'm thankful to Mego for NOT creating some minor variation that would attract the completest in me. If Drac glowed in the dark... I'd be all over it!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎