Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no, "A Collection of Beatles Oldies" ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Why no, "A Collection of Beatles Oldies" ?

As a 70's kid, this album (in my case 8-track) made me the Beatlemanic I am today.

Why is it largely forgotten today ?

Yes, it had a VERY nasty album cover

Mixes were questionable by todays standards

Still, this album --- being made and produced when the Beatles were still together and HOT --- made me the Beatles fan I am today
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

good question. I think probably because of the red and blue hits collections, past masters, and eventually 1. i will have to track down a copy of Oldies, i actually don't have that one in my album collection

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

wow, just looked on ebay, they are almost all being sold from overseas. shipping is crazy high

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I don't think it was ever sold in the USA other than being an import

My copy, I bought at Kmart back in the mid 70's was Parlophone … same with my 8-track of it.

Weird because the overly gaudy cover seems like something Capitol would have done

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

This one was news to me. I had the red and blue ones, but never knew this existed. It's cool because the cover is so bad.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Remember reading somewhere (at the time-1965) UK fans have never heard BAD BOY

A Larry Williams song covered by the Beatles on their current USA album Beatles VI

Think that was a lot of their (EMI) hype why Brits MUST BUY this album

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

^^^^Regarding 'Bad Boy', you're right that it was used (sort of "marketed") as the incentive for the Brits to buy the album, because quite a few of them were peeved that they were releasing an album full of songs they already owned on previously released singles. That being something that they had a clear policy against in the earlier days-They didn't want their singles released on the albums as well, because they felt their audience would be paying for the same song twice, or something along those lines...

The reason the album was released at all was so EMI had something to sell for the Christmas holiday, as The Beatles had no new album to have on the market (they were working on 'Sgt. Pepper' during this time).

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎