Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Jimi Hendrix

Images

Your thoughts on Jimi Hendrix

Do you still think he was the greatest guitarist you ever heard?

nope overrated

I never thought of him that way at all.
    mego's befo ho's

Maybe back at that time? (I thought Carlos Santana was better) but compared to later guitarist probably not.

Images
    Just had a 70's reminiscing thought…

Eric Clapton --- IS GOD ...

Anybody else remember that ?

IMO, both Hendrix and Clapton were/are decent players

BB King and Lucile --- THATS the real deal, imo

I think Steve Vai is the greatest guitarist I ever heard.

Andrés Segovia.

Jimi, but I'll stick with my boy.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Hendrix, very good... But, I only base that on what I have heard on the radio, and the one 'greatest hits/best of' compilation I own by him. I'm nowhere near needing or wanting 'everything' he ever committed to tape in his life time.

Greatest of all time? Not sure on that, as 'all time' hasn't happened yet. Probably not though...

Depends on what context. Every generation has a best of, greatest of all time, etc.etc...

For his time, Jimi was pretty much the bees kness, Ironically we all later found out he did nick a lot of his stuff off of Jeff Beck's Yardbird work!

Does he still rank today? He does, but since he passed away a lot has happened with guitar.

Tapping (Edward, Harvey Mandel, Steve Hackett) Legato economy sweep picking (Frank Gambale) Neoclassical (Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine)

the 1970's you had the fusion movement and players such as Al DiMeola, Bill Connors, Allan Holdworth, Ray Gomez, Tommy Bolin, John McLaughlin and Neal Schon to name a few.

the 1980's was when guitar was huge! The shred movement from Mike Varney's Guitar Player column and GIT/MIT in Hollywood was the place to go if you wanted to learn to shred.

Paul Gilbert, Bruce Bouillet, Joey Tafolla, George Lynch, Richie Kotzen, Blues Saraceno, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Akira Takasaki, Chris Impelliterri are only a handful of players that rose up in the 80's.

in the 90's neoclassical shred met jazz fusion and then you had Buckethead, Todd Duane, Ron Thal, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed, TJ Helmerich and Jimmy Herring.

Metal was not dead, even though Grunge was around, the biggest guy to save Metal was Dimebag Darrell Abbott. Pantera was huge!

in the 00's you had Tosin Abasi pioneer a new progressive metal movement and style called DJENT.

if I where still an young hot headed immature metal head I would have fought anyone who said Shawn Lane was not the greatest of all time. Now as I am a grizzled Metal head, I can accept anyone else's opinion and POV. Its all who you listen to that makes your eyes widen with wonder, its who you listen to that makes you shudder as if you got hit with a bolt of electricity! it's who you listen to that makes you smile as if you learned the secret of the Universe and only YOU KNOW about it.

George Harrison was asked to play a solo on I think it was a Alvin Lee solo album, or was it Bill Wyman(?Not sure??) and he at first refused, saying; "I only know ONE NOTE". and whoever it was said back to him, "But it's that ONE NOTE, I WANT!" So he did it!

So is Jimi the greatest? Yes he is.

But so is Dimebag as all those Pantera fans love him so much

So is Eric Clapton

So is Edward Van Halen

So is Steve Vai

So is Shawn Lane

so is Allan Holdworth

So is George Harrison

So is Peter Green

So is Brian May

So is Keith Richards

So is the Reverend Willie 'G'! (Billy Gibbons)

and I am sure there are Punters out there who say its Johnny Ramone!

and it goes on and on and on and I hope it never ends.

now as Zappa said; Shut up and play Yer Guitar!!!