Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesharkman
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 1, 2019

Having read the original series when it originally came out and loving both the story and the Sienkiewicz art, this was painful to watch. I'm not sure that I could take a S02....lol.

thesharkman

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by thesharkman
      Having read the original series when it originally came out and loving both the story and the Sienkiewicz art, this was painful to watch. I'm not sure that I could take a S02....lol.

thesharkman
      The series was extremely faithful to most of the Moon Knight series that came out in the last 20 years or so. Pretty much all the elements of the 80s series written by Doug Moench had mostly been discarded in the 90s Mar Spector Moon Knight series which had left the character without much of an audience when it was cancelled. Moon Knight has had a surge in popularity as a character with the more modern series and the focus on the DID aspects of the character, and is a higher profile character in the MU now than he was in the 80s, so Feige and crew did what they always do, look at the complete oeuvre of stories for the characters and distill it down tot he parts that resonate the best with modern audiences, trying to capture the core of what makes the character work today, which this series did a phenomenal job of. It's not the way the character was portrayed in the 70s and 80s for certain, but that character hasn't been seen in the MU since that 90s series and by the end of that series all Moon Knight was was a bad mash up of Batman and the Punisher. The revival in popularity of the character, especially in the last 10-15 years is because it did something different with the super-hero genre and played with the elements of mental health and DID. Anyone who turned in to the series who was familiar with the current Moon Knight status quo because that's when they discovered the character would have been just as upset to find the Moon Knight of the 80s in the series as old fans in the age demographics that don't matter to studios anymore was to find the current iteration. There aren't enough older fans to make a mass market media presentation successful (niche things for collectors sure, but not mass market media projects with budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars). If studios had to rely on the revenue that old school fans would produce and not modern mass audiences, we'd still be getting stuff at the level of quality of Croman's FF or the Matt Salinger Captain America movie and not stuff like Feige and crew have been putting out that works and thrives because it appeals to a wide mass audience, not a narrow niche audience stuck in the past.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Word has it Moon Knight will be in Captain America 4.

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
          • Sep 25, 2020

Holy meta Marvel! Just came across this page in the Lemire/Smallwood/Bellaire collection, in which Steven Grant is producing a movie about Moon Knight.
          Grant considers the story a "mess" with a "third-rate character." His girlfriend counters that the movie can "use the super hero genre to explore some *real* themes... identity, mental illness."
          Grant argues, "People are tired of super hero movies." His girlfriend: "No they're not. Don't buy that super hero fatigue crap online."
          Sound familiar?
          The comic book came out four years ago. My mind is spinning in Moon Knight madness and I love it.
          8673E01D-6B95-481A-AE1C-CFF65948BC2D.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 74SpaceAce; May 25, '22, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by MRP
            The series was extremely faithful to most of the Moon Knight series that came out in the last 20 years or so. Pretty much all the elements of the 80s series written by Doug Moench had mostly been discarded in the 90s Mar Spector Moon Knight series which had left the character without much of an audience when it was cancelled. Moon Knight has had a surge in popularity as a character with the more modern series and the focus on the DID aspects of the character, and is a higher profile character in the MU now than he was in the 80s, so Feige and crew did what they always do, look at the complete oeuvre of stories for the characters and distill it down tot he parts that resonate the best with modern audiences, trying to capture the core of what makes the character work today, which this series did a phenomenal job of. It's not the way the character was portrayed in the 70s and 80s for certain, but that character hasn't been seen in the MU since that 90s series and by the end of that series all Moon Knight was was a bad mash up of Batman and the Punisher. The revival in popularity of the character, especially in the last 10-15 years is because it did something different with the super-hero genre and played with the elements of mental health and DID. Anyone who turned in to the series who was familiar with the current Moon Knight status quo because that's when they discovered the character would have been just as upset to find the Moon Knight of the 80s in the series as old fans in the age demographics that don't matter to studios anymore was to find the current iteration. There aren't enough older fans to make a mass market media presentation successful (niche things for collectors sure, but not mass market media projects with budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars). If studios had to rely on the revenue that old school fans would produce and not modern mass audiences, we'd still be getting stuff at the level of quality of Croman's FF or the Matt Salinger Captain America movie and not stuff like Feige and crew have been putting out that works and thrives because it appeals to a wide mass audience, not a narrow niche audience stuck in the past.

-M
            That really felt like you needed to get that off your chest.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by MRP

-M
              I think what you wrote was well said.

I see so many complaints about Star Wars, Star Trek, comic books, etc., I simply have been wondering... and wanting to ask... maybe some people have simply outgrown these once cherished childhood things?

I don't know the age of everyone here that posts, but when I read some of them, it's how they ruined this, they lost the spirit of the original, etc. etc. etc. Perhaps it's time to move on from Star Trek, and Star Wars, and Batman, and... instead of just griping about it. After a year of New 52, I basically dropped DC and never went back outside of an interesting story here or there. Marvel got the boot too. I could post and comment on everything *I* find wrong with today's stuff, whether I actually read it or not, actually watched it or not, but what's the point? Let others enjoy and move on. There is certainly no lack of access to the stuff from the good 'ol days, whether via an Omnibus, online comic services, or for some, even the good 'ol library, to help feed the desire for the stuff people enjoyed when they were younger. I know I am not the desired demographic age anymore, and that's fine. The demographic aged people I talk to enjoy most of this stuff, so I am happy for them.

Anyway... I just finished Moon Knight. I was familiar with the concept, but had little interaction with the character for a long time. It started slow and really disjointed for me, but like a lot of the Disney+ Marvel series for me, it built up nicely at the end and had a satisfying finish.

Looking forward to Ms. Marvel, I believe, on June 8 (or sometime in July for me, because I hate watching shows weekly).

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by TRDouble
                I think what you wrote was well said.

I see so many complaints about Star Wars, Star Trek, comic books, etc., I simply have been wondering... and wanting to ask... maybe some people have simply outgrown these once cherished childhood things?

I don't know the age of everyone here that posts, but when I read some of them, it's how they ruined this, they lost the spirit of the original, etc. etc. etc. Perhaps it's time to move on from Star Trek, and Star Wars, and Batman, and... instead of just griping about it. After a year of New 52, I basically dropped DC and never went back outside of an interesting story here or there. Marvel got the boot too. I could post and comment on everything *I* find wrong with today's stuff, whether I actually read it or not, actually watched it or not, but what's the point? Let others enjoy and move on. There is certainly no lack of access to the stuff from the good 'ol days, whether via an Omnibus, online comic services, or for some, even the good 'ol library, to help feed the desire for the stuff people enjoyed when they were younger. I know I am not the desired demographic age anymore, and that's fine. The demographic aged people I talk to enjoy most of this stuff, so I am happy for them.

Anyway... I just finished Moon Knight. I was familiar with the concept, but had little interaction with the character for a long time. It started slow and really disjointed for me, but like a lot of the Disney+ Marvel series for me, it built up nicely at the end and had a satisfying finish.

Looking forward to Ms. Marvel, I believe, on June 8 (or sometime in July for me, because I hate watching shows weekly).
                I sometimes wonder what kind of griping we would have seen about DC ruining the characters is the internet had existed at the dawn of the Silver Age. Who's this Hal Jordan guy-he's not my Green Lantern, science fah, Green Lantern is a magic based character with a magic lantern, how could they ruin the character. These guys don't get what made the characters great, and don't get me started on that Barry Allen guy, where's the helmet, it can't be Flash without the Mercury helmet...

but we never saw that feedback because the only glimpse we got of fan feedback at the time was the curated letters pages in the books themselves or obscure fanzines that likely haven't survived. And then I realize I am grateful I never had to experience that kind of griping for that stuff when I was discovering it. I don't think negativity in fandom is all that new, but our access to it is very different in the modern era (and whether that is a good thing is very debatable).

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎