• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

‘Quantum Leap’ Sequel Pilot Greenlit by NBC

‘Quantum Leap’ Sequel Pilot Greenlit by NBC

The possible return of Quantum Leap is taking a big step forward at NBC. The network has greenlit the sequel pilot to the 1989 time-travel adventure-drama that ran for five seasons on the network.

The synopsis reads, “It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.”

The description makes it sound like original series star Bakula is on board. Nothing is official, but per sources, the actor may be involved.

In September, Bakula teased “significant conversations” about a revival were happening. “There’s very significant conversations about it right now going on,” said Bakula, who played a physicist who involuntarily time travels and fixes mistakes of the past by leaping into the bodies of others. “I don’t know what it would be. I don’t know who would have it. The rights were a mess for years. I don’t know if they’re even sorted out now. That’s always been the biggest complication.”

Creator Don Bellisario is on board for the revival as executive producer. Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt (Gotham) are showrunners. Deborah Pratt and Martin Gero are also executive producers. The project is for series consideration next year and produced by Universal Television.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Always loved Quantum Leap

Hope is does well

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

that would be be so cool if they do it as a continuation of the original series

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

My reaction is.. meh

I googled if Bakula was at all involved with the show, and he's not. Tho Ernie Hudson did say the show has an invite out to him..

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

It looked okay. It's a great premise, so redoing it for a modern audience isn't a bad idea. Not chomping at the bit to watch it, but if it gets good enough buzz, I'll take a look.
          sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I really liked the original show, so I'll be checking this one out. It looks pretty good to me.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock

My reaction is.. meh

I googled if Bakula was at all involved with the show, and he's not. Tho Ernie Hudson did say the show has an invite out to him..
              Bakula is an executive producer. So my guess is that he will make an appearance at some point. I am hoping they are just trying to keep it under wraps to not spoil the reveal.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

It doesn't seem like it was made for me.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i'll probably give it a shot. looks interesting enough for a retread

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

My Asian boyfriend informed me that 'WE' will be watching this so, yeah this is on our TV list.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

I liked the original show and I like Raymond Lee, so I'll give it a shot.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                        Bakula is an executive producer. So my guess is that he will make an appearance at some point.
                        I can't find any story or reference that mentions Bakula as an EP, including IMDB. What's your source?

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                          I can't find any story or reference that mentions Bakula as an EP, including IMDB. What's your source?
                          Good catch. I saw it in an io9 article:

Though it seems like the new Quantum Leap would be about finding a way to bring Beckett back, it doesn’t appear that the character’s return is in the cards. Bakula is serving as one of the reboot’s executive producers alongside Bellisario, but he’s also starring in Unbroken, another drama for NBC hoping to receive its own pickup and will air in November during the fall midseason should that happen.
                          Although that article seems to be sourced from a Deadline article which says the opposite:

It is NBC’s only 2022 drama pilot that was in consideration for the fall schedule; two others, Unbroken and Blank Slate, would be evaluated for a launch in November or midseason. Unbroken is headlined by Scott Bakula, star of the original Quantum Leap, who is not involved in the reboot.
                          (Emphasis mine in both quotes)

As you said, the EP claim from io9 does not seem to be supported by any other reporting. Maybe they were confused by Bellisario being an EP. Dunno. But yeah, seems I was inadvertently spreading misinformation. Sorry about that!

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Looking forward to giving this a watch. I was a big fan of the original and I'm not sure at this point if that will work for or against me liking the new version. My thoughts are it could be divergent from the source in some ways and I might like it better than if it were merely an updated copy. I certainly loved QL in its time, but trying to watch it 30 years later, some of it doesn't hold up well for me....in small ways, at least. It could stand updating and some tweaks to be a little more gritty.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                              As you said, the EP claim from io9 does not seem to be supported by any other reporting. Maybe they were confused by Bellisario being an EP. Dunno. But yeah, seems I was inadvertently spreading misinformation. Sorry about that!
                              I appreciate you clarifying, I was hoping he was involved!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎