X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

56 Years Ago Today...Batman 66 Premiered

Adam West's Batman TV series premiered 56 years ago today and fans are remembering the show. A lot of people grew up with the actor on TV establishing that wonderful rogues gallery for non-comic readers. In a lot of ways, he and Burt Ward were the faces of the character for a long time. However, [...]

Head over to Tubi and watch the firs episode!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Iwas negative 1 yrs old
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i wasn't born yet either, but dammit if it wasn't a staple growing up in the 70s. i think we watched it every day

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        i wasn't born yet either, but dammit if it wasn't a staple growing up in the 70s. i think we watched it every day
        Absolutely, Batman and Star Trek were my favorites then--and now.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Yep, it premiered before I was born too, but growing up in the 70s, I watched it every day too, sometimes on the color TV, and when that was taken, on the black & white set.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Ohh me too. I vaguely remember my dad watching Star Trek when I was very young.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• shaunaconda
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              Iwas negative 1 yrs old
              Same here!

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Yep! Watched it in reruns during the 70's.

Funny story...I remember getting sooo mad at my dad during the episode where Batman and Robin are sinking into a giant cake.
                He was laughing and I was all upset. I remember yelling "It's not funny, they're gonna die!" LOL

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^My Dad used to guffaw at the show, remembering the Golden Age comics he read as a kid. "Batman is supposed to run around at night! He's supposed to scare people, not be out in broad daylight!" I later learned he was right, but I didn't realize we were doing exactly what the creators of the show wanted: As a kid, I was seeing it as a straight adventure. But as an adult, who had read the comics, my Dad could see it as an intentionally corny parody.

You can argue they really only struck the balance correctly in the first half of Season 1, but by then, the show was kind of it's own thing. There's honestly never been anything like it before or since. And despite going through my "Batman should be a dark grim avenger of the night!" phase in my teenage years, I never totally turned my back on the show. Adam and Burt are still Batman and Robin to me.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

I know it was the 70s for me, but I still had a lot of access to the Sprang Batman in coloring books and old comic books, alongside Infantino Batman, so the stretch from the comics to the show wasn't a big one for this single digit kid.

Adams, Rogers, Aparo, etc. Batman is the one my Mother used to read to me in the comic books (and how I learned how to read!), but all of the iterations of Batman were pretty accessible at that time. Adam West Batman was just Batman, like Super Friends and Filmation Batman. I think that's why it holds up well for me and why Adam West and Burt Ward will always be my live action Batman and Robin.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

What’s crazy is I remember watching the Vietnam war as it was happening on tv before Batman like around 71-72.

I remember watching Batman when I came home from school, it was perfect timing, Lost in Space came on right after.

My Mom got me into Star Trek and remember watching it with her, even if it was past my bedtime, and I think she and my Grandmother even enjoyed buying me the Star Trek mego’s. Dad would just shake his head, but it was he who took me to see Adam West and Burt Ward in full costumes and got autographs.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

I remember watching it in the mid-70's in Texas. For some reason the channel that aired it also aired The Adventures of Superman and then Batman, so for 2 hours my earliest memory afterschool was watching the reruns of DC TV Multiverse. Then watching Shazam/Isis hour along with Wonder Woman. Those tv shows started my love for Comic Books In The Media.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by TrekStar
                          What’s crazy is I remember watching the Vietnam war as it was happening on tv before Batman like around 71-72.

I remember watching Batman when I came home from school, it was perfect timing, Lost in Space came on right after.

My Mom got me into Star Trek and remember watching it with her, even if it was past my bedtime, and I think she and my Grandmother even enjoyed buying me the Star Trek mego’s. Dad would just shake his head, but it was he who took me to see Adam West and Burt Ward in full costumes and got autographs.
                          My Father took me to see West and Ward too! I honestly don't remember if they were in full costume or not, but it was at the Car Show and they had the Batmobile there. I remember I had my photos of each of them to get autographed and we we got up there, I gave them my photos and... I froze! I was completely star struck. After what felt like forever, my Dad puts his hand on my shoulder, leans over me, and says to them, "He's a big fan." I remember the smile on Adam West's face as they handed me my autographed photos back and my Father pushing me along, LOL!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TrekStar

Mom and Dad took me to mee them in costume with the Batmobile at a car show in Peoria.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

i wish i had gotten to meet them, they were scheduled to be at a comic con in NY a decade ago, the one and only comic con i ever went to. West got sick or something so they were cancelled. i was bummed as I had planned on paying the fee to get the autographs

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎