X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesharkman
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 1, 2019

tough hunting lately?

Is it me or has finding pieces or even nice sets been a little harder lately? Maybe it's because I am not looking for as many things as I was before...who knows. How has your buying experience(s) been in the last 6 months or so?

thesharkman
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Generally the stuff I'm looking for is just too hard to find or just too darn expensive when it does come up for sale.
    Last edited by drquest; Jan 11, '22, 5:35 PM.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Shermanator
      • Dec 27, 2014

I recently picked up a MIB Playing Mantis Ming the Merciless figure for $20 at a peddler's mall a couple weeks ago. Haven't been doing any online searching for anything.

The GI Joe Winterfest is taking place here in Louisville, KY this coming Saturday. I hope to attend that. May be some CA items among the vintage GI Joe figures and accessories for sale there.

Steve

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Shermanator
        I recently picked up a MIB Playing Mantis Ming the Merciless figure for $20 at a peddler's mall a couple weeks ago. Haven't been doing any online searching for anything.

The GI Joe Winterfest is taking place here in Louisville, KY this coming Saturday. I hope to attend that. May be some CA items among the vintage GI Joe figures and accessories for sale there.

Steve
        Wish I could make it there... not too far of a drive, but we're still not really going anywhere due to COVID stuff...
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

I think the prices on a lot of collectibles, particularly the nostalgic ones that we all like, have gone up a ton since the pandemic hit two years ago. I'm only guessing, but some have more money to spend on them as they weren't using the funds to travel or eat out or anything social, they have more time to focus on collections, and the items reflect a time when life is now perceived as easier, with lost loves ones still around. Oh, and everything is more expensive right now, too.

I've stayed away from buying vintage Mego or GI Joe because of what I suspect will be a temporary blip in prices. I'll revisit down the line when things calm down. In the meantime, I'm trying to focus more on all the great stuff I have rather than trying to add more.

Comment

• ToyTalk
            Career Member
            • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by rykerw1701
            I think the prices on a lot of collectibles, particularly the nostalgic ones that we all like, have gone up a ton since the pandemic hit two years ago.
            You are correct. Nearly doubled in some instances. It's enough to make me only look for the small stuff
            Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Shermanator
              • Dec 27, 2014

Originally posted by drquest
              Wish I could make it there... not too far of a drive, but we're still not really going anywhere due to COVID stuff...
              Danny, maybe you can make it to the show in July. It's much bigger with more vendor rooms.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 26, 2008

I sure haven't done as much in person hunting the last couple years but our local, small comic con is finally happening again this weekend and in the past I've always found a couple good items there to buy. I'm very curious how the pricing will be this year.
                Chad

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Shermanator
                  Danny, maybe you can make it to the show in July. It's much bigger with more vendor rooms.
                  Perhaps... It's been on my list for years to go.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thesharkman
                    Museum Patron
                    • Nov 1, 2019

I can't imagine you needing anything CA. What's left on your Christmas list?

thesharkman

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
                      I can't imagine you needing anything CA. What's left on your Christmas list?

thesharkman
                      LOL.... I'm good on loose sets, and have just a few boxed costumes. I do have all of the coffin boxed figures, except for the Dr. Evil lab/gift set. I might consider upgrades for some of those if they pop up cheap. Did I share pictures of the Italian boxed Captain Action before?

No cheap costume boxes show up anymore, so I'm probably not going to be adding anymore of those, and any Superqueens I've had I sold years ago, so don't have any of them and probably won't.

I do need an Action Boy boomerang, original not reproduction. I apparently sold what I thought was an extra, LOL.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thesharkman
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by drquest
                        LOL.... I'm good on loose sets, and have just a few boxed costumes. I do have all of the coffin boxed figures, except for the Dr. Evil lab/gift set. I might consider upgrades for some of those if they pop up cheap. Did I share pictures of the Italian boxed Captain Action before?

No cheap costume boxes show up anymore, so I'm probably not going to be adding anymore of those, and any Superqueens I've had I sold years ago, so don't have any of them and probably won't.

I do need an Action Boy boomerang, original not reproduction. I apparently sold what I thought was an extra, LOL.
                        The Italian box is the one w/ the cap costume included, right?

I was in an older toy group way back and someone sold all the superqueens at once. I passed and a friend got them...she really wasn't a captain action fan too. sigh....

thesharkman

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
                          The Italian box is the one w/ the cap costume included, right?

I was in an older toy group way back and someone sold all the superqueens at once. I passed and a friend got them...she really wasn't a captain action fan too. sigh....

thesharkman
                          Yup, that's the one, came in Captain America costume.

I like the Superqueens, but either you get real lucky and find them, or you pay through the nose for them, and I just don't like them enough I guess.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡