• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Ed Brubaker joins Bruce Timm on Batman: The Caped Crusader as head writer

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...er-1235071480/

The Hollywood Reporter has broken the news that writer Ed Brubaker will be joining Bruce Timm and staff as the head writer and co-executive producer of the new Batman: The Caped Crusader animated series announced for HBO Max. The first season will have 10 episodes.

Award-winning animation veteran Bruce Timm is showrunning and exec producing the series, which also has executive producers J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, the director behind the upcoming Warner Bros. tentpole The Batman. James Tucker is co-exec producer.

Brubaker is running the writers room along with Timm and is acting as Timm’s right hand. He is also earning an exec producer credit on the show, which The Hollywood Reporter has learned will have a 10-episode first season. Brubaker will be the head writer on the series.

Details remain deep in the Batcave, but when the show was announced in May 2021, the producers pointed to Timm’s genre-defining 1990s Batman: The Animated Series as a benchmark and said the goal was to “once again reinvent Batman and his iconic rogue’s gallery with sophisticated storytelling, nuanced characters and intense action sequences all set in a visually striking world.” Check out the exclusive piece of early development art above.

Brubaker may be best known as the co-creator of the Winter Soldier, the popular Marvel character that co-headlined his own Disney+ series last year, but in the last decade, he has made a career of plumbing the depths of the immoral mind with his pulpy and acclaimed Criminal and Reckless comic works. (Winter Soldier actor Sebastian Stan last month teased fans with a photo of himself reading a Reckless graphic novel.)

And Brubaker is no stranger to the world of the Caped Crusader. In fact, the books that helped make Brubaker’s name were Batbooks from the early 2000s, among them was the highly regarded Catwoman comics with artist Darwyn Cooke. He was also the co-writer and co-creator of Gotham Central, which took a street-level, police point-of-view approach to Gotham City’s underbelly.

“Here’s something few people know, but the original Batman: The Animated Series was one of the things that made me want to write superhero comics in general, and Batman in particular,” Brubaker told THR in a statement. “If not for what Bruce Timm and all the talented writers and artists did with that show, things like my revamp of Catwoman with Darwyn Cooke (who worked on BTAS) and Gotham Central with Greg Rucka and Michael Lark, would never have happened. So when Bruce Timm offered me the chance to come work on this new reimagining of Batman with him, James Tucker, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, I jumped at it.”

He continued, “Their vision for the show, with a slightly more pulpy take on the character, and a new way of looking at the world of Gotham, set in the past but viewed through a modern lens really sold me, and so far every part of it has been a blast to work on. I can’t wait until the rest of the world can see what we’ve been building the last few months in the writers room. All I can say is, it’s not what anyone is expecting … but in a good way.”
    the bolded part is what has me the most excited.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Brubaker wrote Velvet and Criminal series right? Loved those series. All for it. It will give the series that noir feel. Means I have to get HBO Max. This might actually make it worth the cost of getting it.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
      Brubaker wrote Velvet and Criminal series right? Loved those series. All for it. It will give the series that noir feel. Means I have to get HBO Max. This might actually make it worth the cost of getting it.
      Yes. He's also written Fatale, Kill or Be Killed, Pulp and the Reckless OGNs with Sean Phillips plus had long runs on Batman, Catwoman and Gotham Central.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by MRP
        Yes. He's also written Fatale, Kill or Be Killed, Pulp and the Reckless OGNs with Sean Phillips plus had long runs on Batman, Catwoman and Gotham Central.

-M
        Haven't read Fatale yet...but it is in the stacks of books I need to get to. I'm assuming I have probably a year or so before I have to get HBO Max to see the series...or is this progressing where it might be on by the summer?

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          Haven't read Fatale yet...but it is in the stacks of books I need to get to. I'm assuming I have probably a year or so before I have to get HBO Max to see the series...or is this progressing where it might be on by the summer?
          I don't think a release date has been given. It was first announced in May, but Ed was just hired as lead writer, so I doubt anything beyond concept art and overall design work has been done art wise yet since they haven't gotten scripts done yet. I do not know if any casting has been done either, but I wasn't paying that close attention until Bru was announced because I don't have HBOMax and wasn't planning on getting it. I might when this is released.

-M

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by MRP
            I don't think a release date has been given. It was first announced in May, but Ed was just hired as lead writer, so I doubt anything beyond concept art and overall design work has been done art wise yet since they haven't gotten scripts done yet. I do not know if any casting has been done either, but I wasn't paying that close attention until Bru was announced because I don't have HBOMax and wasn't planning on getting it. I might when this is released.

-M
            A little more info form Brubaker himself from his e-nail newsletter that I subscribe to...

Although this headline makes it seem like I just got this gig, I actually have been working on it for several months, and we already wrapped the virtual writing room and are barreling ahead towards production right now.

I had no intention of going back to superheroes at all, but I was a big fan of the original BTAS show, and when this came along, it just sounded like it would be too much fun to pass up. And I was right. We spent a couple months on zoom for half the day, kicking around ideas and laughing and coming up with some very cool episodes that I can't wait to see animated. The show is a complete reimagining of the character, not a sequel to BTAS, but like that cartoon it feels like it takes place in a kind of timeless 1940s or early 50s - no computers, no cell phones, yay - and it's really pulpy. Hopefully more adult at times, but still something kids can watch too. Like the Marvel movies or Star Wars, ratings-wise, I guess. PG? I'm not sure what they rate things as on streaming actually...
            -M

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoyed Brubaker's Batman work, and obviously he's a very talented writer, so this is great news. I'm also glad to hear it's not going to be TOO adult. I don't see the sense in making a Batman show that at least older kids can't watch.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎