X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • great_chandel
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2, 2015

RIP Sidney Poitier

What an actor! To say he broke all color barriers in Hollywood would be an understatement! I loved "In the Heat of the Night" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner." Even in much later years, he was great in films like "Shoot to Kill." He was always the consummate actor and gentleman. Sidney was 94.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Respect indeed, in life and in film. RIP Mr. Poitier.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

"They call me Mr. Tibbs!" What a force, both in his acting prowess, and just affecting change. "Legend" gets thrown around a lot, but he was one. RIP.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
          learning all the time
          • Sep 15, 2010

a great talent; he will be missed
          loved him in "a patch of blue," "a slender thread," "lilies of the field," "to sir, with love" and of course "in the heat of the night"

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Such a talent. I rewatch his films regularly on TCM. Just saw To Sir, With Love again two weeks ago. RIP, sir.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

A legend among legends. What a life and impact on this world.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

he was an amazing talent and man. He led a good, long life. I think his legacy will live on for many years to come. RIP

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

LOVED Sidney Poitier

Never knew anything about the British school system before To Sir, With Love

You guys mix grammar school kids in the same building with high-schoolers ?

BTW, I think the girls burning a used T-pon in the classroom-stove-heater was a bit too much.

Never knew ANY girl that was ever that close to being that much of a pig … Sounds like the work of a male writer

BTW, speaking (and honoring) of Sydney … Last movie I ever seen starring him in the Theatre was him as a cop (1980's movie) searching for a kidnapped Kristy Alley... Forgot the name, but I remember liking it

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

In addition to the movies already mentioned, I thought he was really good in "The Defiant Ones" as well: I can see why he was nominated for a best actor award in that one...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes, I agree.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody remember To Sir, with Love II ?

Love Sidney, (hey, isn't that another movie/TV series?)

But that TV movie was BAD … Loved seeing Lulu and perhaps Judy at the start but everything else was nasty

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎