X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

RIP Robert Bruce

Collectibles expert and former featured guest on Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men, Robert Bruce has passed away at age 62.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/comic-b...it-1234903630/

Comic Book men could be uneven, but often fun. I always enjoyed when Robert Bruce would make an appearance, and usually found his perspective on things interesting.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; Jan 4, '22, 2:55 PM.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Bruce was the go-to vintage toy guy on the show.
    It's sad he spent his last years was living in a storage unit basement. Look we all love pop culture and collectibles but at the expense of not being married , having another career, etc it doesn't seem like a fair trade off.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

Well that's sad to hear and 62 is not old by any means. I enjoyed Comic Book Men honestly, was scripted heavily of course, but I enjoyed watching it.

RIP to him...
      Last edited by drquest; Jan 3, '22, 5:33 PM.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• toyhunter1970
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 24, 2020

sad where he died a storage unit I liked comic book men and his job in it you would think he made good money on that show? rip

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
          sad where he died a storage unit I liked comic book men and his job in it you would think he made good money on that show? rip
          It was a low rated basic cable show where he made guest appearances in brief spots. I'm sure the money is not what some might think.

I always liked his appearances, but I looked up his Facebook a while back and it's now obvious he was living in his storage unit. He looked physically awful in his most recent pics, so I'm wondering if there wasn't an illness at play, possibly undiagnosed.

I don't know if he was "poor" or not, but definitely I get the vibe that his life had become consumed by "hobbies" and had become a hoarder living a reclusive lifestyle that basically had him always on the hunt for new things but no actual real life to speak of.

There's a thin line between collector and madness and we should all be careful to walk it. I know I have far too much stuff and have to really purge myself of some of this stuff, but I know how daunting of a challenge that can be and while it's scary to think of, it's not that hard to imagine falling down that hole.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I think such speculation is tasteless. I was friends with the man, he had a true strength of character and I admired him. I'm grateful to have known him and I will miss his kindness.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Sorry to hear about this. That's way too young. My condolences to his friends and family.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Sorry about your friend, Brian.

Didn’t know much about him, but the few times I saw him in Comic Book Men, he came across as genuine, nerdy cool (like us), and very knowledgeable.

RIP
                sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

It's a loss to the community and one of those sad stories where no one even knew he was dead for days.
                  Last edited by ODBJBG; Jan 4, '22, 8:27 PM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

Met this guy at C2E2 some years ago, wanted to ask about certain items, he gave me his card and gave me one of those, "Yep, sure I can get it" or "Yep I have it in my collection" type of answers.

Never did call him.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎