X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: The Return of Big Jim?

Toy-Ventures: The Return of Big Jim? Toy-Ventures this week takes a detour from vintage and talks about this modern oddity. This three-pack of figures keeps popping up on eBay containing current versions of Big Jim, Pulsar and Major Matt Mason on Secret Wars bodies. Three characters I’d welcome back to the toy shelves with open […]
    The post Toy-Ventures: The Return of Big Jim? appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I really like those!
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Not a fan of the Secret Wars style figures. Reminds me of the worst of the late 90s early 2000s DC figures. This would be a fun set done as MOTU style...

Comment

• KingKickass1983
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
        Not a fan of the Secret Wars style figures. Reminds me of the worst of the late 90s early 2000s DC figures. This would be a fun set done as MOTU style...
        Agreed!
        Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I'm wondering if maybe they're testing the marketplace to see if there is general interest in those old licenses first before they commit to any large scale production. Plus a limited run might help perk up demand. This will be interesting to watch. Big Jim is one of the last great toy lines from the 70's to finally get some retro love. Lets hope it becomes a real thing in terms of revisiting those figures as they were actually designed. I think its very much an uphill battle to get back to those original body styles, but what a blast it would be if it happens.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
            yup agreed

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Mattel using molds from an unconnected, later line to revive another set matches what they did with the Retro-Action/Mego-like figures, using scaled-down Big Jim type bodies. See also Big Jim tiger for Battle Cat, etc. The approach is VERY Mattel.

These are neat, and I love the packaging. I wish they had added some sculptural elements to the bodies, like Matt Mason's accordion joints, straps, Big Jim's wrist gauntlet, etc.

It's baffling how these made it out into the wild and Mattel hasn't commented on them, officially. Mattel really needs to up their game with fan communication. Hasbro does a good job with their livestreams. But then again, Hasbro gets a lot of ire and vitriol sent their way, so maybe Mattel is smart to keep their heads buried in the sand.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Someone has informed me that they purchased this set from some sort of closeout store Mattel has which makes me think this project is dead.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Someone has informed me that they purchased this set from some sort of closeout store Mattel has which makes me think this project is dead.
                  The fact that Mattel has never made a proper announcement about these and how long they've been floating around certainly lends some credence to this. Although perhaps the idea will be recycled or retooled for a future Mattel Creations release. Feels like maybe this was going to be a con/Creations small run that got axed for some reason and ended up dumped in some random spots.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The fact that Mattel has never made a proper announcement about these and how long they've been floating around certainly lends some credence to this. Although perhaps the idea will be recycled or retooled for a future Mattel Creations release. Feels like maybe this was going to be a con/Creations small run that got axed for some reason and ended up dumped in some random spots.
                    A cancelled con exclusive makes a lot of sense. I know Mattel has clearance outlets on the West Coast because my wife coveted visiting them when she was really into Barbie. So a cancelled con exclusive that ended up at these types of outlet store seems very plausible. But why not offer these to one of the online collector stores, like Entertianment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, Dorkside, etc.?
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎