Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Ah I give Modern Mego a lot of credit for all they have done. We really have gotten to go back home with regards to Batman Figures and Apes line, just about the same with Star Trek, and More than originally with Monsters. The toy industry had this crazy break between collectable and kids items and these crazy big companies manipulate these giant corporate stores.

In the middle of all this they really showed up again that's wonderful. It's Target and Walmart that have been the real zero in all this they seem to have no passion for these things.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by zeedox
      Ah I give Modern Mego a lot of credit for all they have done. We really have gotten to go back home with regards to Batman Figures and Apes line, just about the same with Star Trek, and More than originally with Monsters. The toy industry had this crazy break between collectable and kids items and these crazy big companies manipulate these giant corporate stores.

In the middle of all this they really showed up again that's wonderful. It's Target and Walmart that have been the real zero in all this they seem to have no passion for these things.
      I too am impressed with what Mego has managed to accomplish in this minefield of a toy industry that exists right now. I just think that moving forward they are going to need to have a tight focus on what they want to accomplish as the pandemic has made the road they travel even rockier and made the margins for error even smaller in the manufacturing and retail environments.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• puckace
        Museum Super Collector
        • Feb 5, 2009

"In the middle of all this they really showed up again that's wonderful. It's Target and Walmart that have been the real zero in all this they seem to have no passion for these things."

I would add Topps to this list.

However, in spite of all the obstacles, Mego has put out an incredible amount of figures in a short time and many of them have been excellent. I never thought I'd get to enjoy brand new Megos again. What a great time to be a collector of Trek, DC, Monsters, and Apes. Even GI Joe has joined the party. Who knows? Maybe Marvel and dare I say Star Wars could be possible one day.

Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Mego does seem to have or face more obstacles than the more established toy companies, but in today's world of collecting, I don't know that they have to pick a side. No, they are not the bigger heavyweights or middleweights, so maybe that is the difference here, but when I go to Target, I see McFarlane Toys in the collectibles and toy aisle. I only see Hasbro's Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Power Rangers figures in the toy aisle, but as a collector, I am aware of Hasbro Pulse and their online exclusives for all of those lines. They are different lines by different companies, but I see similar 3.75" Marvel figures in toys and 3.75" Monsters, Star Trek, etc. in collectibles (and get sticker shock every time I see the Super 7 figures!). I think all collectors know to check both the toy and collectors areas of stores. So I don't see why Mego would have to choose which one they want to be.

If I could point out issues I personally see with Mego, it's getting proper distribution from retail partners and marketing. Having that blurb about previous releases on the back of more attractive cards (which, the lack of attractive cards, we know is not their doing) is a fantastic idea.

Mego may never be in a position to make a series with any larger groupings in them, and I admit, there was NO WAY I was buying LOTR with just Aragorn and Legolas and the hope of Gandalf. If one wave contained all four Hobbits, I may have dipped into that license. But I needed at least one complete group to buy in on LOTR.

Comment

• zeedox
            Career Member
            • Aug 10, 2007

Hey I really want those Hobbits! Please make them whoever listens. In Mego Style couldn't they even basically be the same figure with different heads?
            Btw anyone see those strange Bendi toys made up a bit in Mego style packaging? The Gollum was very tricksy to not purchases....

Comment

• Mejo
              Museum Patron
              • Jun 30, 2022

For the most part I think the head sculpts on male characters are all right. Sure, they could be sized down a little but they're not bad in most cases. The heads on the female characters, on the other hand ... they don't look so good. Unless the sculpts are improved, I won't be purchasing any of them I'm afraid. :(

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
                How would you suggest they accomplish this? Put out an entire wave of say, Lord of the Rings, all at once? I think that is incredibly problematic. What if, for whatever reason, that wave tanks. That would be a lot of resources to put into one property only to have it fail, and possibly catastrophic for the company. Just because some of us on the board are completists, doesn't mean that translates to general retail.
                I pick up a NECA Gargoyles figure, and I see coming figures on the back, so I figure Goliath is not the only one being made. It's the same as the old Mego cards showing several heroes in their circles on the card. Surprises in revealing the new waves has to be balanced with letting casual buyers know there's more coming. "Coming soon" or "Also Available" let's folks know Van Helsing isn't alone.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

On the retail side, I've heard some positive things about Mego's future with some of the big box stores. However, that still doesn't mean they'll support everything Mego makes I guess.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2019

I wouldn't mind seeing more gift sets. Maybe pair a popular character with one who hasn't been made yet.

Like... a Bud Bundy paired with Al, but in a different outfit. Similar to the Young Frankenstein 2 pack.
                    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                      I wouldn't mind seeing more gift sets. Maybe pair a popular character with one who hasn't been made yet.

Like... a Bud Bundy paired with Al, but in a different outfit. Similar to the Young Frankenstein 2 pack.
                      I’d like to see gift sets too. It’s another way Mego can get out some figures that may not otherwise get released. For example with Star Trek TNG they could do a Dixon Hill Picard packed with a Beverly Crusher figure, and Klingon Warrior Worf with Deanna Troi.

For POTA they could do a Taylor or Brent figure with Zira, and maybe a Burke and Virdon 2-pack.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

A Virdon/Burke 2-pack would be pretty neat, even if they were made individually.
                        I just would like to see less variants and more characters not made yet.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

There is another issue that I thought the move to solid heads would fix, but it still popped up in wave 15: face shlorping. It's been showing up on and off in a number of figures, like Picard and Cavill Superman, but some of the faces shlorp to the right and down, like it's melting slightly. You can see it a little in Black Adam and Sisko, mostly in the fact that the tops of heads slope down more on the right than the left (but I may be a bit more prone to notice that because I do a lot of head re-sculpting and specifically look for that in my own work), but it's not obvious in the faces. On Captain Marvel and the Mutant Leader, though, it's more obvious. The Big Red Cheese's face definitely droops on the right side; the bottom of his left eye is just a hair below the top of his right eye. It's even more noticeable on the Mutant Leader because of the hood, which slopes down on the right side a good bit. And this hasn't been just a production problem/glitch with an occasional example of a figure. I've gotten multiple Picards and Cavill Supes from different sources, different times, and the shlorp is consistent. It's in got to be in the mold somehow to be that consistent. And it's always to the right, which only makes it more weird. And it's not everyone. Only certain figures show it. Green Arrow and Ra's are fine on the new body, so there's not even a pattern as far as the factory goes; two figures on the new body look normal, and two shlorp. Not sure what is going on, but it's a shame. The Captain Marvel sculpt is especially good at capturing the 70's Don Newton look for the character, but you can't help getting a little bit of a Quasimodo vibe with the drooping eye.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            face shlorping.
                            All these big technical words, can we please have it in layman's terms.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by scott metzger
                              There is another issue that I thought the move to solid heads would fix, but it still popped up in wave 15: face shlorping. It's been showing up on and off in a number of figures, like Picard and Cavill Superman, but some of the faces shlorp to the right and down, like it's melting slightly. You can see it a little in Black Adam and Sisko, mostly in the fact that the tops of heads slope down more on the right than the left (but I may be a bit more prone to notice that because I do a lot of head re-sculpting and specifically look for that in my own work), but it's not obvious in the faces. On Captain Marvel and the Mutant Leader, though, it's more obvious. The Big Red Cheese's face definitely droops on the right side; the bottom of his left eye is just a hair below the top of his right eye. It's even more noticeable on the Mutant Leader because of the hood, which slopes down on the right side a good bit. And this hasn't been just a production problem/glitch with an occasional example of a figure. I've gotten multiple Picards and Cavill Supes from different sources, different times, and the shlorp is consistent. It's in got to be in the mold somehow to be that consistent. And it's always to the right, which only makes it more weird. And it's not everyone. Only certain figures show it. Green Arrow and Ra's are fine on the new body, so there's not even a pattern as far as the factory goes; two figures on the new body look normal, and two shlorp. Not sure what is going on, but it's a shame. The Captain Marvel sculpt is especially good at capturing the 70's Don Newton look for the character, but you can't help getting a little bit of a Quasimodo vibe with the drooping eye.
                              FOR REAL! The Cavil Supes head would have been PERFECT if not for the droopy face.
                              Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Wow didn’t notice Captain Marvels crooked eyes till now. Too bad it’s otherwise a nice sculpt
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎