Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 74SpaceAce
    • Sep 25, 2020

Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills QB

Since it was so much fun to make a Russell Wilson custom figure last year, I've now finished Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills quarterback. He's an exciting athlete to watch, leading the Bills to success they haven't seen in many years.

I've always thought that football outfits have many similarities to superhero costumes in their variety of colors, designs and logos. I don't know why Mego has not produced football figures other than Joe Namath. It seems they would be popular sellers?

• monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Wow your Mego is fantastic!!

I still think that was Topps biggest problem. They should have stuck with what they know, sports. Since Mego spent that money coming up with the outfit it should have been easier to and cheaper to do.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Figure looks great and yeah Mego/Topps should have went with some sports figures too.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• battmasterson
        Career Member
        • Dec 22, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Figure looks great and yeah Mego/Topps should have went with some sports figures too.
        I agree with both of you. At some point in time there were NFL Action figures because I had one of the Denver Broncos when I was a kid. I think that they were sold by SEARS. Anyway, I love the figure. I like your creativity and unique custom ideas. Bravo and well done. GREAT JOB!

Comment

• battmasterson
          Career Member
          • Dec 22, 2010

NFL Action Figure.jpg Found a photo of what I was talking about.

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

Josh Allen looks great. I love all the details on the uniform.

I think a football line of Megos would be great. They could let you pick the team, name, and number with a few generic heads, since with the helmet obscures the face. That way a die-hard fan could make a whole offensive or defensive line, but a causal fan could just pick up their favorite player or make a custom with their name on the back. Seems like a perfect fit for nflshop.com. They could even make some throwback uniforms as exclusives and make an all-star lineup.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Awesome figure! I am a big Josh Allen fan. Great win over New England this last weekend!

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by sprytel
                Awesome figure! I am a big Josh Allen fan. Great win over New England this last weekend!
                What was so great about it?

Allen is a good QB, hopefully he stays healthy and he will do well, just not against the Patriots.

Love how this came out and yes, Topps /Mego should do choice NFL and MLB players.

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Very nice looking figure...

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                    • Sep 25, 2020

Originally posted by battmasterson
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]32279[/ATTACH] Found a photo of what I was talking about.
                    Thank you, Battmasterson! You've revealed a new grail for me. NFL Action Team Mates were buried memory treasure, and I'm now drooling over them. Here is a fun article: https://weekinnerd.com/2021/09/13/th...on-team-mates/

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                      • Sep 25, 2020

Originally posted by sprytel
                      Yeah, sprytel! I was jumping out of my seat watching that game.

pmwasson - I love those ideas. They would sell big! Around 1980 I collected all the mini NFL helmets from bubblegum machines and put them on my Megos to create my own teams. An official, custom figure would be a dream come true.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

The took made generic figures repainted them and made money. I remember seeing them in the wild and it could have been JC Pennys (had both in town but Sears was small). I thought I remember seeing them at K-Mart but I could be off.

It was a shame that these did not get released through Topps. The heads alone would have come in handy.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Reverse Flash
                          • Dec 16, 2021

Those NFL Action Team figures seem to have a good collector following. I am surprised at the current prices.

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                            • Sep 25, 2020

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                            The took made generic figures repainted them and made money. I remember seeing them in the wild and it could have been JC Pennys (had both in town but Sears was small). I thought I remember seeing them at K-Mart but I could be off.

It was a shame that these did not get released through Topps. The heads alone would have come in handy.
                            Agreed, Topps should have jumped on it and they could crank them out like the Action Team Mates, at least. The Mates can command a high collecting price now because not many have survived in good shape, but the good ones are still beautiful and poseable. Poseability is the #1 thing we want with a sports figure, amIright? I've never understood the appeal of the McFarlane sports figures, stuck in a single pose.

Comment

• Reverse Flash
                              • Dec 16, 2021

Originally posted by 74SpaceAce
                              Poseability is the #1 thing we want with a sports figure, amIright? I've never understood the appeal of the McFarlane sports figures, stuck in a single pose.
                              I think like a good photograph, the McFarlane pieces capture a split second in time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎