X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

ST-DS9--Appreciation thread

When DS9 first premiered I was totally underwhelmed.

Still, interestingly enough to keep and eye on --- Thanks to Quark and Odo's banter and Terry Farrell's eye candy.

Eventually came upon the episode Whispers

LOVED IT !!!

ROD SERLING WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD

Just thought of something else, "In the Pale Moonlight" … Perhaps the BEST Star Trek episode EVER !!!

what do you think ?
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
    When DS9 first premiered I was totally underwhelmed.
    Same here!
    The series definitely took a fair while to hit its stride.
    For me, it was only when the whole Dominion War storyline began that DS9 finally became a must watch show.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

I hated it when it first aired, and couldn’t even get through the pilot episode, but recently went back to give it a rewatch and have been loving it to death.

It has had a few clunkers, including a few overly preachy stinkers, but never as obnoxious as TNG in that regard. Overall though it’s been super amazing, and I’m really glad I went back and gave it another chance.

It’s now my third favorite Trek serious after TOS and TNG. ENT and TAS follow, with VOY bringing up the rear.

I hope we can get another real Star Trek show someday. That would be nice.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 26, 2008

I actually liked this series from the start. I really liked the space station aspect and seeing the daily operations and visitors.
        Chad

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by SainthoodDenied
          I actually liked this series from the start. I really liked the space station aspect and seeing the daily operations and visitors.
          I was a big fan of ST DS9 when it was on air. That was part of what I liked too is that they weren't really traveling around. I was not hardcore about it, but I always mentioned DS9 when talking about Trek and other sci-fi to people at the time. I never found ANYONE who liked the show. Obviously people watched it because it was on for ages, but it was not "popular" in that sense. In fact there were several people who used to joke that I liked DS9 and that I was weird or whatever because of it. A good laugh was had by all.

These days I constantly hear about people who say DS9 is their favorite. That it's the best ST show, etc.

Crazy.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

I do love DS9. But I also love its counterpart, Babylon 5.

EBAEAD3D-6FF4-417C-B941-5D4EA639C380.jpg
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
              and Terry Farrell's eye candy.
              Don’t overlook Nana Visitor. She was my favorite character. I disliked her at first because the role was supposed to go to Ensign Ro (Michelle Forbes turned it down though). But I turncoat and eventually warmed up to Kira Nerys. I think she’s a hottie. Heck, they both still look absolutely beautiful…

167B653E-CDD5-4789-B40D-2F9228E21CF8.jpg

8AEAFFDB-0E65-4600-BBF7-D7ECE994EC9F.jpg

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

DS9 aired at some very inconvenient times in my neck of the woods, so I could never watch it as often as I would have liked. The bloom was off the syndication package rose by that point. I actually saw more Voyager because local affiliates bought into the whole UPN thing more, for some reason.

DS9 has been talked up so much to me as the greatest of all Treks, I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about it. I have friends who swear by it, and turn any Trek conversation into one purely about DS9. Several content creators on YouTube do the same, so it's honestly turned me off giving it much of a shot at this point. I know that's on me, but it's just how I feel about it.
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                  I do love DS9. But I also love its counterpart, Babylon 5.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32308[/ATTACH]
                  agreed. I love B5 as well, though as with DS9 the first and last seasons sucked. DS9 to me really hits it's stride with the Dominion war and the addition of Worf. that episode where they had a huge battle with the Klingon Armada was one of the best Trek episodes ever. was that the S3 opener?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

I've seen all the modern Trek series several times in their entirety, and none of them can really hang with DS9. Even Michael Dorn admitted that the work done on TNG doesn't overall compare to what DS9 managed to do with its depth of characters and serialized storylines.

If anyone hasn't seen the great crowd-funded DS9 doc from a few years ago, it's free on YouTube:

A similar doc has been funded and is currently being produced for Voyager..
                    Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 4, '22, 6:18 PM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

When i first saw terry farrell i recognized her from "back to school" lol At that time i ate up anything that came out with Star Trek and DS9 delivered for me. I never though knew how Voyager. Enterprise and DS9 ended as i stopped watching at some point at some season. DS9 also had my favorite trek score.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

Loved it when TOS Klingons appeared.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

I just finished watching as much of TNG as I wanted, leaving out most of the first season and sporadic episodes that I hated at the time and from the descriptions figured I still would. So I'm giving DS9 another shot. I watched it sporadically originally, which wasn't a great way to watch the show since it was much more serialized than other Trek of its day. So far, even early on, I like DS9 better than I thought I would. I just hope I get through it before it gets pulled from Netflix.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Hector
                            Don’t overlook Nana Visitor. She was my favorite character. I disliked her at first because the role was supposed to go to Ensign Ro (Michelle Forbes turned it down though). But I turncoat and eventually warmed up to Kira Nerys. I think she’s a hottie. Heck, they both still look absolutely beautiful…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32310[/ATTACH]

In all honesty; CHASE MASTERSON (LEETA) was the real hot one on the show. she still looks great today.

https___redshirtsalwaysdie.com_files_2021_03_c5341b23-c59e-4d92-be54-8699f55f7418.jpg

17934bc51b52be7695e17d24f8ef1769.jpg

594full-chase-masterson.jpg

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

no doubt. i always liked Chase Masterson too

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢