X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

Spider-Man: No Way Home SPOILERS

I saw it yesterday and while it wasn't perfect I loved it!
    there were a ton of crowd pleasing moments, amazing (obviously) special effects, lots of "meta" inside jokes and references to other films, lots to chew on afterwards...
    I was surprisingly moved a few times and actually teared up! sheesh, I must be getting old.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I absolutely loved the look of the black and gold suit! the first night fight with Electro looked awesome!! I much preferred this look for electro (and this "cooler" Max) to the original take.
    I was disappointed again in the lizard. meh cgi then, meh cgi now. couldn't they have made him more, idk, reptilian? more like a lizard and less like some kind of hybrid? I felt the same way when I saw him the first time. to me he looks like he's halfway between Connors and the lizard.
    doc ock was great, sandman was great, the other spideys were great, dafoe was great although I was kinda hoping for a bit more original-comic look for him this time around. and how exactly was he that strong? in the comics he had enhanced strength but not THAT enhanced!
    during the "rift opening" sequence I was trying to identify the shadowy shapes that were coming thru but couldn't. maybe the FF? I couldn't tell.

I'm not sure how I feel about Dr. Strange. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to like this incarnation but... when is the good doctor going to wise up? is he still this selfish, reckless, impulsive Stephen Strange who feels entitled to whatever he wants or is he more empathetic and learned? hopefully he will be a bit more "mature" for his 2nd installment.
    I mean, c'mon, Peter has to suggest a spell that will fix everything? Strange didn't think of that? and more oddly he wouldn't want to cast it because it would mean he wouldn't remember Peter? so what?! the kid's been nothing but a meddling pest who never listens and causes nothing but problems for everyone around him including Strange!
    and speaking of this spell, I'm confused... does no one remember Peter is Spider-Man or no one remembers Peter???? so he never existed? how could there be a Spider-Man without a Peter Parker? and what about his former existence? all records of him are wiped out? he has no Aunt May? how does he go forward? say he came back from the "blip?"
    and what a great and interesting cameo by a "really good lawyer!" what does that mean going forward?? hopefully MORE of said lawyer!!
    I soooooooooo wanted him to ask MJ how she got that cut on her head!
    Last edited by C.H.O.A.M.; Dec 19, '21, 9:49 AM.
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

There were a lot of elements I liked about this installment, and some I did not. Overall, I really enjoyed it though, and will definitely catch it at least one more time in the theater, sometime after Christmas.

Don't read beyond this point if you don't want to be spoiled....

Doc Ock was freakin' awesome! I thought he was very well done in Spider-Man 2, but even more so in this appearance. One of my least favorite villains in the comics is one of my all-time faves on screen.

I think this movie is the exception to the rule that too many villains destroys a movie. In that regard, I thought they did an amazing job with the villains, as well as the heroes. I hope that the way this movie ended means that going forward this current "take" will seize the opportunity to mature.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Maybe it's an out for Marvel/Sony if Tom Holland doesn't really come back? Some say he's coming back,others say no. He says he wants to start a family. Who knows?

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

SPOILER question....

So with all the villains effectively "cured" at the end, did they teleport back to create a NEW timeline for themselves, or did they simply return to their old fates? I got the impression that was left ambiguous in case they want to bring any of them back again. The spell only told everyone in the world to forget Peter Parker was Spider-man, nothing else. So the events that occurred, were not undone. Peter Parker is not unknown by anyone who knew him before, just unknown to be Spider-man. I think DaFoe could be a great villain to reinstall as a problem for this Peter Parker. I also liked that Tobey's Peter was able to say he and MJ worked out after S3. That was great. They de-aged the actor playing Doc Ock a bit, but did nothing to Tobey. That seemed to be purposeful, to show that added time on the shelf and where he was at now. That part was very satisfying.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

What a great movie! Much like Endgame, they amazingly made everything work and come together, with plenty for each featured character, and much of it very relevant to those characters. Can't wait to see it again!

SPOILERS

My son Andrew LOVED Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, and was hoping it would be HIM that saved MJ from her fall, redeeming himself since he failed to save Gwen. And he did! Tobey being the wise, sage Spider-Man (Cool Youth Pastor) was a nice touch and made sense for how his version of Spidey would progress. Helped expunge "Emo Peter" from my mind. In fact, this movie did a GREAT job of redeeming things about the previous Spidey films that didn't sit right: Power Rangers Goblin (they let Dafoe's manic face SHINE); Lame Electro (you cast Jamie Foxx and make him a nerd?), etc. The only one they left out was the rushed young Green Goblin from ASM 2, and I don't think there's any fixing that.

May's death was shocking, and seemed very real for a movie like this, but it didn't pull me out of the film, or seem like it was misplaced. It was earned. And having THAT be the motivation for a more mature, more grounded Spider-Man was brilliant. We really were along for the ride of Spider-Man's VERY earliest days. In a way, you can look at his time with the Avengers as his celebrity time from the comics, when he was appearing on TV shows.

Of course, there are questions: Why did Electro come when he didn't know Peter was Spider-Man from ASM2? Did the villains return to divergent timelines, now making them variants, per Loki? Do Toby and Andrew return to their established timeline, where the villains original fates DID occur? But those are just fun things to think about.

Can't wait to see it again!
          sigpic

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
            learning all the time
            • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
            SPOILER question....

...Peter Parker is not unknown by anyone who knew him before, just unknown to be Spider-man...
            but that's exactly what happened- his friends never heard of him. that would imply all record of his existence has been wiped out? hence his book for getting a GED? I have no idea how they will make that work...

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
              learning all the time
              • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              What a great movie! Much like Endgame, they amazingly made everything work and come together, with plenty for each featured character, and much of it very relevant to those characters. Can't wait to see it again!

SPOILERS

My son Andrew LOVED Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, and was hoping it would be HIM that saved MJ from her fall, redeeming himself since he failed to save Gwen. And he did! Tobey being the wise, sage Spider-Man (Cool Youth Pastor) was a nice touch and made sense for how his version of Spidey would progress. Helped expunge "Emo Peter" from my mind. In fact, this movie did a GREAT job of redeeming things about the previous Spidey films that didn't sit right: Power Rangers Goblin (they let Dafoe's manic face SHINE); Lame Electro (you cast Jamie Foxx and make him a nerd?), etc. The only one they left out was the rushed young Green Goblin from ASM 2, and I don't think there's any fixing that.

May's death was shocking, and seemed very real for a movie like this, but it didn't pull me out of the film, or seem like it was misplaced. It was earned. And having THAT be the motivation for a more mature, more grounded Spider-Man was brilliant. We really were along for the ride of Spider-Man's VERY earliest days. In a way, you can look at his time with the Avengers as his celebrity time from the comics, when he was appearing on TV shows.

Of course, there are questions: Why did Electro come when he didn't know Peter was Spider-Man from ASM2? Did the villains return to divergent timelines, now making them variants, per Loki? Do Toby and Andrew return to their established timeline, where the villains original fates DID occur? But those are just fun things to think about.

Can't wait to see it again!
              I wondered about Electro myself. unless it's like Brock's cameo? as in, while the Venom movie ignored the Spidey connection, Brock learned via the symbiote in the comics. did any version of Electro ever learn Peter was Spider-man?

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

I thought it was terrific and was the most emotional marvel movie for me) And it looks we know what Sony wants to do next with the Spideyverse)

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

Boyfriend & I watch Spidey today, it was a very confusing movie but at the same time it was a fun movie to watch. This should be the closet we will get to seeing the Sinister Six in a movie.

Now after watching I do have some questions:

1. Who is going to become the MCU Venom?

2. Would you care if Sony does a live action Multiverse of Spider-Men by having Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire doing more Spider-Man movies. From what I read both actors said they would be up to it. It can't be any worse than what DC Comics is doing...
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

What’s DC doing this time? Bringing back Keaton Batman is a smart move in Flash
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

who I would want to see in the next Spidey film
                      DareDevil
                      Kingpin
                      Venom
                      Black Cat

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

For me, being a casual Spidey fan at best, this was both a great film and a loveletter to the character and actors before Holland.

However, there is a huge, gaping plot hole involving the erasing of all memory. I get it, but the spell didnt(apparently)cover physical evidence like hard drives, flash drives, emails and the book Flash published. That part wasn't addressed unless I missed it.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

I got to watch this yesterday as well... Had been trying to time it so it would be a little less busy and it worked out to do a 12:45 show.

With that, there was a lot to like with this movie! I was curious how all of this would clash together, but it worked out I think.

Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiier

Character wise:

Doc Ock - Wow loved him! Great to see him on the screen again and it just worked
                          Green Goblin - I love Willem Dafoe and he is the GG for sure and really enjoyed seeing him on the screen. It always bothered me that they killed him off in the first movie. What a waste..
                          Electro - was certainly better in this version, as in the ASM I couldn't stand him. Still not a great character, and seemed an odd path he was choosing for this movie.
                          Sandman - Looked great, was not utilized much and probably didn't even need to be in the movie
                          Lizard - Looked crummy, another villain that didn't need to be in the movie(Sony has an issue with putting too many protagonists in their movie IMO).
                          Strange - enjoyed his humor, he made some pretty bad choices and blamed other people for them. That seems to be his MO, but maybe that's getting old
                          May - sad to see it happened, but it was done well IMO
                          Happy - well poor Happy
                          Jameson - I liked the media presence he had as it just translates better in today's world, so it worked for me.
                          Ned - Loved seeing him make portals and fly around with the cape, plus he is going to MIT
                          MJ - Glad she is going to MIT, but sad
                          Spiderman (Tom) - Has grown, especially with the May issue and basically losing everyone at the end. Hard times are ahead. That apartment at the end I half expected him to be same apartment Tobey's Spiderman was in, or was meeting a Gwen Stacy at the end.
                          Spiderman (Tobey) - Well played I think and it really was nice to see him on the screen again.
                          Spiderman (Andrew) - Same as Tobey. I don't think I enjoyed the ASM movies as much as the earlier ones(mostly due to the villains being terrible) but I really enjoyed him. Was happy to see him save this universe MJ for sure!

Story wise, there was a lot packed in this. But it didn't seem rushed to me, I hate movies that you can tell were edited for time and stuff just is happening way to quickly. Now I will say when all three Spidermen were working together on the cures, it did kind of lag at that point, but I realized it really was a bonding moment for those three.

The villain motivations are puzzling a little. Goblin, well he didn't vary much and Doc Ock worked well once he knew what was going on. The other three, just didn't work I think.

The large issue with everyone forgetting who Peter Parker is, well it is a problem. Strange mentioned it would be like you were never born if I remember correctly. But he was, and he is Spiderman and if it's just a matter of people not knowing Parker is Spiderman that would have worked, but no one knowing who he is does leave a lot of material across the world referencing him I feel. Didn't erase that, but maybe it did? Since he had the GED book, how does he get a Social Security card, etc...

Also another thing that bugged me is Tom had those final moments with the other multi-verse versions of him and he didn't think to mention that they were getting erased from existence as well. I'm pretty sure Strange's spell was removing him from all universes unless I missed he saying otherwise. Tobey's MJ won't know him when he goes back right? Again, maybe I missed the fact it was only going to be one universe, but that's how I took it.

Did enjoy the movie for sure!
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• clemso
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 8, 2001

Thoroughly entertaining movie. MCU at its best but Doctor Strange is the villain here with that botched spell ending up creating a lot of damage either from the villains that were let trhough or the final battle at the Statue of Liberty. Shouldn't he be held accountable like the Sokovia Accords? Lol.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                              who I would want to see in the next Spidey film
                              DareDevil
                              Kingpin
                              Venom
                              Black Cat
                              Black Cat is suppose to be getting her own movie as is Spider-Gwen.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎