Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you miss any old dealers/collectors or members that no longer post?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I'll never understand the willing attraction to dumb communication down to idle op ed ad nauseam. It's like choosing to wallow in a vat of iodine, and then acting surprised by the side effects.

… just wanted to add that some of the aforementioned members, and many others, still do still linger and lurk. If you're still into Mego, or many of the other toy cultures represented here, the Museum is irreplaceable. Folks read and *use* it all the time despite not logging in or posting (anymore). Some login just to send a few PMs on occasion, which I always appreciate.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
      ^^ I'll never understand the willing attraction to dumb communication down to idle op ed ad nauseam. It's like choosing to wallow in a vat of iodine, and then acting surprised by the side effects.

… just wanted to add that some of the aforementioned members, and many others, still do still linger and lurk. If you're still into Mego, or many of the other toy cultures represented here, the Museum is irreplaceable. Folks read and *use* it all the time despite not logging in or posting (anymore). Some login just to send a few PMs on occasion, which I always appreciate.
      Have no idea what you just said ….

Am a little slow

Please break it down like you're talking to a child

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

I could go on and on about why I don't use Facebook and why I prefer a message board. I won't because it occurs to me that most of you are of the same age and many of you have an even stronger understanding of the history of the Internet/Technology/Computer Science than I do. That said, I honestly don't know a single Gen X-er (or early adopter Boomer) that grew up with PCs, farted around with the Internet BEFORE browsers and the World Wide Web (think the old dial-up Bulletin Board System), understands privacy is largely (completely?) an illusion, algorithm driven search results make everything you think you discover, in reality, merely "curated", and free access that is free because YOU generate the product (data).... that cheerfully uses any form of social media. More like "against their will" because it's mandatory or inescapable.

I prefer Message Boards, and few they are after 20 years of Web 2.0. I prefer open discourse with moderation to being corralled into a pen of like-minded people with nowhere to go from there but the extreme end of it..... where everyone there grows to hate everyone else there. Presumably, because people need enemies and their opposites are fighting it out among themselves in another corral.

The crap being spewed in those spheres, from that sick dynamic, gets picked up and reported as "news". People are consuming content that they helped generate and love it because they agree with it. Content from the other side becomes "fake news". And that creates a weird paradox because something can't be fake news if you recognize it as such. Gawd how I wish it would all just go away.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

I miss a whole bunch of members. Not being on Facebook or any other platform (by choice), I can’t imagine it being as cozy as this place. It does bother me that people who I thought were members of this museum l’s community have bailed the museum, but are still in the Mego arena. I’m a pretty loyal person, so I guess I just don’t get it. I do understand if you just lose interest in the hobby. That, to me, is different.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Facebook exposes some people for what they are too. I found this with a few people I thought were ok here.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I would imagine the lack of moderation could reveal some people as jerks.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Jerks and worse
                Originally posted by Goblin19
                I would imagine the lack of moderation could reveal some people as jerks.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

I miss a whole bunch of members. Not being on Facebook or any other platform (by choice), I can’t imagine it being as cozy as this place. It does bother me that people who I thought were members of this museum l’s community have bailed the museum, but are still in the Mego arena. I’m a pretty loyal person, so I guess I just don’t get it. I do understand if you just lose interest in the hobby. That, to me, is different.
                  I get why the forum isn't their cup of tea even when they still collect. People come and go that's apart of the cycle but the ones we keep in touch with are lifetime friends.

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

I guess I do get that. But I think if I ever lost interest, I’d still check in once in a while.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I guess I do get that. But I think if I ever lost interest, I’d still check in once in a while.
                      exactly. there are plenty of other things that we discuss here that are not toy related

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Jerks and worse
                        Much worse, and proud of it.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

the keyboard warriors. they are the loud minority on social media.

Comment

• Johnny
                            Salty
                            • Oct 1, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                            Jon !!!!!!!!!

Just seen you die in a rerun of Supernatural !!!

How's it going, buddy ?

Man, it's been FOREVER
                            I'm good Mike! It has been a long time definitely. I am very rarely on here, but I happened to see the thread about people that have pretty much vanished from the Mego Museum and thought "Hey, I resemble that!"
                            I hope you are doing well my friend. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

It’s just unfortunate that some people that you think are good peeps turn out to be not so good.

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              the keyboard warriors. they are the loud minority on social media.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

I left Facebook and I'm glad I did. I just can't put up with half of the garbage that goes on there.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎