X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

Slugfest – DC vs Marvel 10-Part Docu-Series

Slugfest, the Marvel/DC docuseries from “Avengers: Endgame” directors, the Russo brothers, will be released on December 24, 2021.

Set to premiere on The Roku Channel, “Slugfest” is a ten-part docu-series, narrated by Kevin Smith, that explores the decades-long relationship and rivalry between Marvel and DC Comics.

The docuseries is inspired by Reed Tucker’s book “Slugfest: Inside the Epic, 50-year Battle Between Marvel and DC” and will include a history of the rivalry via interviews and re-enactments. Each episode dives into the unique story from the companies’ rich and intermingled history that’s created a world-wide superhero phenomenon.

“Audiences will leave Slugfest with a whole new understanding of how the rivalry between two creative powerhouses shaped the iconic storylines and characters that fans around the world have come to know and love,” said Anthony and Joe Russo. “We’re thrilled to partner with The Roku Channel to unpack the fascinating, but untold, history behind the most well-known competition in comics.”

Roku Originals is available exclusively on The Roku Channel. From award-winning scripted entertainment and engaging documentaries to breakout new unscripted series, Roku Originals is bold, fresh entertainment from the biggest names in Hollywood, and best of all, it’s free. This is relevant, diverse entertainment that is accessible to everyone, everywhere The Roku Channel is available – no subscription, no signup and no strings attached.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i was interested until i heard kevin Smith was narrating. that guy just annoys me at this point

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

i was interested until i heard kevin Smith was narrating. that guy just annoys me at this point
      At this point I think Smith is just hovering outside multiple studios, listening in windows at meetings, to hear if anyone mentions the words "comic book". If they do, he meets them at the door.
      sigpic

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I've read Reed Tucker's book and it is very informative, but has its flaws. It tends to emphasize the sensational aspects and go light on the whys and wherefores and the big picture context for those events. It still presents a lot of areas that had gone unexplored previously and is worth checking out. I fear that with Smith involved, the tendency to go for the sensationalized sound-bite friendly bits will be even more heightened and a lot of the context and background which helps bring those events into focus and and which explores the whys and wherefores of what happened will be lost. Though the hand of the Russo's may counteract the Smith effect.

I don't have Roku and I am not sure where I might see this, but I will check it out if I can.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Watched the whole series last night. Episodes are not long so, even with commercials it was well under two hours to watch them all.

Very fun and interesting, even if it does just hit a few high spots in a superficial way. Being a comic book fan my whole life and hearing all the stories ad nauseam through the years of my geekdom, I still heard little nuggets that I didn't know about... the behind-the-scenes play-by-play of the Superman vs. Spider-Man crossover was a fun back and forth.

Kevin Smith as narrator wasn't intrusive at all. You never see him (that I remember). He's a non-factor.

Regarding the Kirby-Lee debate, there's stuff there for both sides. Oddly to me, Kirby gets his dues in the early episodes, and Lee gets his dues by the end. Nothing is settled of course, but it has to be a win that Kirby is given the screen time he does. It will at least keep the debate alive for casual fans who may think that Lee just created the Marvel universe wholesale. One very short, funny scene in an early episode has Simon and Kirby working in the Timely/Atlas (early Marvel) offices and a letter or memo is delivered by a mostly-offscreen errand boy/man. Simon takes the memo and says "thanks Stanley". It's downplayed and quick, but for those who know the history of Simon, Kirby and Lee, it's a fun nod.

For what it is, it's probably a good crash-course for newer comics fans who might not know the history of DC and Marvel. The focus stays on these two companies, as the premise promises. No deep dives into the Comics-Code of the 50's or emergence of comic book shops that changed the industry, etc... it stays on the path of watching these two companies go back and forth.

I was impressed by the actors and actresses they were able to bring in to this. Big names, mostly with comic book movie ties.

All-in-all, a fun watch if you grew up through some of that. I'd be interested if anyone notices anything revisionist in this re-telling.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The longest episode is less than ten minutes long. I'll probably watch it all today. Sounds very interesting...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Based on the recommendations here, I watched it all last night, and really enjoyed it! Yes, it's sensationalized a bit, of course, but I learned some new things myself, and I consider myself a bit of a comic historian. They do omit some obvious things where you think they'd pop up, but maybe they're angling for season 2. Loved the interview snippets with the real creators, and the actors playing the creators in the recreations. Some really fun casting as YoungOnce said.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Condensed and over-simplified for sure, but still entertaining.
                And it was cool to see so many of the surviving writers, artists and editors contributing.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

It's pretty entertaining. I wish it was a just a normal 90 minute doc instead of being broken up into a bunch of very short episodes. It's obnoxious and disruptive and I don't get the reasoning behind it.

All I know is the Russo Bros have some serious mojo to pull in the level of actors who make brief appearances in this thing.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    All I know is the Russo Bros have some serious mojo to pull in the level of actors who make brief appearances in this thing.
                    I didn’t do a deep dive on the connections, but from what I could work out from casual observation, most (and maybe all) had a connection to a Marvel or DC movie and/or TV show.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by MRP
                      I've read Reed Tucker's book and it is very informative, but has its flaws. It tends to emphasize the sensational aspects and go light on the whys and wherefores and the big picture context for those events. It still presents a lot of areas that had gone unexplored previously and is worth checking out.

-M
                      Not on the series, but I appreciate your thoughtful review of Tucker's book. I'm going to have to give it a read.
                      Last edited by Wee67; Jan 12, '22, 10:00 AM.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

This must have been developed for Quibi.

Quibi was a streaming platform for "on the go" and everything was designed to be 10 mins or less. For things like this, it just ends up being a longer thing cut into 10 min slices.

Roku has picked up a bunch of Quibi things in the last year or so, including the hilarious AquaDonkeys.

Quibi died off because it's a stupid idea.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Ah, that explains it. I saw in this article that it was originally produced for Quibi, but had no idea about the details of how Quibi worked. Thanks

EXCLUSIVE: Slugfest, the Russo Brothers-exec produced docuseries about the rivalry between comic book companies Marvel and DC, is finally coming to air. The ten-part series, which is narrated by Kevin Smith, is coming to Roku on December 24 and the streamer has unveiled the first trailer, which you can watch above. It comes as the […]

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                          This must have been developed for Quibi.

Quibi was a streaming platform for "on the go" and everything was designed to be 10 mins or less. For things like this, it just ends up being a longer thing cut into 10 min slices.

Roku has picked up a bunch of Quibi things in the last year or so, including the hilarious AquaDonkeys.

Quibi died off because it's a stupid idea.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎