X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Top 13 Batcave Play Sets

I've written another article for 13th Dimension, this time covering my personal top 13 Batcave playsets. Don't worry, Mego is well represented!

sigpic
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

That was a nice list. I knew the Mego Batcave would be number one!

I think I own/owned... none of them! LOL! I am still trying to put together my Art Asylum Minimates Batcave (one day), and there was a little mini Batcave set in the 2000s that was Wayne Foundation that opened to show the Batcave. It was small, with a handle for carrying, and had little, non-moving figures. I still have it, probably minus the mini-statues, which were probably lost when I gave it to my daughter to play with.

Those were my only Batcaves. Oh, and the McFarlane one I picked up this year as a backdrop to a Batman 1966 display.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

That was a nice list. I knew the Mego Batcave would be number one!

I think I own/owned... none of them! LOL! I am still trying to put together my Art Asylum Minimates Batcave (one day), and there was a little mini Batcave set in the 2000s that was Wayne Foundation that opened to show the Batcave. It was small, with a handle for carrying, and had little, non-moving figures. I still have it, probably minus the mini-statues, which were probably lost when I gave it to my daughter to play with.

Those were my only Batcaves. Oh, and the McFarlane one I picked up this year as a backdrop to a Batman 1966 display.
      Thanks! Good luck with that Mini-Mates Batcave. Those Lego-knock-off bricks will not stay togehter. I ended up gluing my son's togehter. Thankfully, the first Lego Batcave came shortly thereafter. That Hot Wheels Batcave (I think that's the one you're talking about) almost made the list. It would have been #14. It's the only Batcave that comes with 3D versions of both the giant penny AND the T-Rex.
      sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Thanks! Good luck with that Mini-Mates Batcave. Those Lego-knock-off bricks will not stay togehter. I ended up gluing my son's together. Thankfully, the first Lego Batcave came shortly thereafter. That Hot Wheels Batcave (I think that's the one you're talking about) almost made the list. It would have been #14. It's the only Batcave that comes with 3D versions of both the giant penny AND the T-Rex.
        YES! The Hot Wheels Batcave! That was a pretty cool set.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
          Career Member
          • Aug 3, 2010

Great job Chris!
          mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Cool to see the Toybiz 89 Batman line get some love. The Toybiz Batcave is surprisingly nice. Their 89 Batmobile is terrific too. Yes, the Kenner one had a roof but it could only hold one figure and Batman was practically lying down in it.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Great review, Chris. I own several of these and wouldn't mind a few more. The Toybiz cave will always be a Super Powers one to me, I should get some new stickers for it. The Mego one has a perfect play format, hence variations. Mego Wayne Foundation--just the furniture, please. And the animated one--.

I was very pleased to see you include Imaginext. If you take their first one, the second/third (?) one, and the recent Wayne Foundation waterfall version and set them up as an angled triptych, it's a truly awesome play environment. I didn't but every Imaginext cave but chose ones I thought would interact well together.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

It is amazing how many of those Batcave's I still have in my collection
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

I think the FTC 66 Batcave should have been there. The play value of the Mego Batcave with the TV show graphics including the atomic pile. Cost wise the McFarlane may be near the top value.
                  Last edited by Megotastrophe; Dec 8, '21, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I considered it, but it's ultimately a reissue of the Mego Batcave, with different graphics. I probably should have snuck in a mention in the Mego spot, though.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 15, 2010

Here’s what Santa brought this year. All were mint and boxed, so of course I opened them!

sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by The Batman Professor
                        Here’s what Santa brought this year. All were mint and boxed, so of course I opened them!

Pretty impressive setup. I lived through it, Batman Forever is an enjoyable film to a 10 year old.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 26, 2008

What a great looking set, I would have had to open and set it up also.
                          Chad

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

Wow! Nice job, Chris. The 8" Mego Batcave was the only one I ever owned, but I'm really diggin' that Ideal one. Does the loose Ideal Batman figure ever pop up on ebay? Would love to get that.
                            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by J.B.
                              Does the loose Ideal Batman figure ever pop up on ebay? Would love to get that.
                              They do show up in eBay. There are some on there now. Price for a nice complete figure is around $150 and beaters are $30-80. Someone is selling the Ideal bat cave right now for $1000.

Very good article Chris. I didn’t even now about half of the versions. We had MEGO Batman, Robin, and Batmobile. We made the living room end tables into the bat cave.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎