X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Showtime's Queer As Folk aired 21 years ago

On Showtime December 3, 2000 aired what was one of their most talked about series Queer As Folk:
    sountrack 2.jpg

The series follows the lives of five gay men living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Brian (Gale Harold), Justin (Randy Harrison), Michael (Hal Sparks), Emmett (Peter Paige), and Ted (Scott Lowell); a lesbian couple, Lindsay (Thea Gill) and Melanie (Michelle Clunie); and Michael's mother Debbie (Sharon Gless) and his uncle Vic (Jack Wetherall). Another main character, Ben (Robert Gant), was added in the second season.

Queer as Folk quickly became the number one show on the Showtime roster. The network's initial marketing of the show was primarily targeted at gay male (and to some extent, lesbian) audiences, yet a sizable segment of the viewership turned out to be heterosexual women.

sountrack 4.jpg
    I had just ordered from England version of QAF (& had it transferred to VHS) to get what the new American series was based on. At the time I was traveling doing comic book shows selling bootleg VHS (& later DVD) & sold some British sci-fi shows & included QAF. They quickly became a sold out every con,. Soon the American version aired and I recorded every episode (2 episode per tape). The fact that the series covered and brought into living rooms the gay lifestyle and didn't ruffle as many feathers was shocking. I remember have LGBT watch party's back then due to the fact that either most people didn't have Showtime or lived with parents or roommates and could not watch it at home. Fun times.

Now I am 50 and my current boyfriend informed me that during Christmas break he wants to watch this series. Since he has only been in America for just a few years he never watched this series so for me it is going to be fun to see his reacting to the series and compare them to mine back when QAF first aired.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Dec 3, '21, 1:01 AM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

It's a good show, my ex was a big fan when the American version was originally broadcast. I liked some of the stories and characters but ultimately didn't get into it, mainly because I don't really dig drama/prime-time soap stuff myself. But if that is your bag, it is worth watching.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎