X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toyhunter1970
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 24, 2020

ET 1982 40th tribute

Forty years ago, production began on what would become the most beloved film of all time, E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial. Through the use of archival footage, t...

2021 40 years since it was shot from September to December 1981 next summer 2022 is the release 40th that john Williams piano still gets me
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

I didn't see 'E.T.' until years after it came out, probably when it first came out on VHS...

I still remember my cousins going on about certain scenes, and all I could do is listen, because I had no idea of what they were talking about .

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I was so excited about the movie before it came out. I was so let down when I went and saw it. I thought it was going to be hard core science fiction because of the name. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Most people didn't know what extra-terrestrial meant. I hated that it was a goofy kids movie. I was hoping for something more like War of the Worlds or Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Dec 2, '21, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Oddly enough, I had no desire to see it because the poster image of his long finger made me think of the George Pal War of the Worlds' Martian. I watched that on TV with my family every time it aired, but the brief scenes of seeing the aliens scared the beejeezus out of me. But my Mom assured me that E.T. was going to be a nice alien, so we went, and I loved it. I still remember my Mom handing a tissue to a big trucker-type guy who was bawling at the end.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Saw it as a kid, and liked it just fine.
          I remember completing the Topps trading card set, too.

(I even didn't mind the deleted scenes which Spielberg reinstated to the 20th anniversary edition in 2002... but I didn't like the other changes, such as removing the agents' guns and replacing them with walkie-talkies.)
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I was 16 when it came out. I didn't know it was a movie for kids.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i liked it when it came out but i remember rewatching it when it finally hit VHS and thinking what a boring movie it was. once i had kids, my oldest absolutely loved the movie and watched it endlessly. it did kind of grown on me again as being a sweet movie. but it is not something i would ever thrown on to watch

Comment

• mego
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 16, 2012

I was 5.5 years old when my dad found me in the yard and said we’re going to see a movie called ET, the extra terrestrial. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about but a movie sounded great to me.
                My fragile young mind was not prepared for what I saw. It was terrifying, thrilling and tugged at every heartstring in my body. I was blown away by it. Oddly, I’ve never gone back to rewatch it, but definitely plan to with my little one.
                Oh man, I just remembered about all the ET merch that flooded the world when that movie went big. Haha. Happy birthday ET! hats off to Stephen Spielberg.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by mego
                  Happy birthday ET! hats off to Stephen Spielberg.
                  And hats off to John Williams… it’s his music that brings the magic and wonder.

If you’ve ever seen Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Jaws or Superman without the music, it’s crazy how empty it all feels without his part.

That said, him and Spielberg together sure know all the shortcuts to “the feels”.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎