Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife's new collecting hobby. 1970's Glitter Plaques from Cage Company in Conn.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

My wife's new collecting hobby. 1970's Glitter Plaques from Cage Company in Conn.

My wife very rarely has the collecting bug like I get, so I always think it is awesome when she finds something that she likes. She has always owned a Santa that she had as a kid and just recently decided to get Santa some friends. Below is the picture of the Turkey she found antique shopping. I'll take pictures of Santa when we pull all the boxes out of storage and decorate. She also found some Halloween and a few more Holiday ones. Will post pics of those, too.
    Turkey-GlitterPlaque.jpg

Anyone else have these growing up?
    It's all good!
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, That's great--I haven't thought of those in decades! Little melted plastic dots.

I don't think we had any, but I recall them for the holidays you mention and weren't there also licensed characters?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
      • Feb 17, 2008

^I just asked the expert. She says there were Looney Tunes characters and Snoopy besides the holidays. Oh, and I was also informed that I spelled the name of the company wrong. It is Kage, not Cage.
      It's all good!

Comment

• ToyTalk
        Career Member
        • Mar 25, 2020

I remember those from when I was a kid. Awesome stuff
        Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

We had a bunch of those when I was a kid. I remember having a snowman, Santa and a reindeer around the Christmas, and a few Halloween themed ones but my memory of those is fuzzier.

I want to say I remember an ad in a comic for DC characters done like this (maybe a Heroes World ad?) maybe Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, but my recollection is extremely hazy and I might be misremembering.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

Those bring back such memories.
            I keep thinking about tracking some of those down to have, but never follow through.
            We have so many holiday decorations now, it is hard to store them all.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

cool. we have a pumpkin one for Halloween. I think it was my wifes growing up, though could have been mine too. memory is a little foggy, lol

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 26, 2008

I remember a snowman like that appearing every year at christmas time at some relatives or friends house, just can't remember who anymore.
                Chad

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Awesome! We call them "Popcorn Art" for some reason. We have a Jack-O-Lantern/Scarecrow and a Snowman and Ruduloph I just put out for Christmas.

I too remember the ads for DC Marvel versions. I seem to recall they made Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Spider-Man.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Neat idea for a collection.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                      • Feb 17, 2008

Here are Santa, Mrs. Claus, and Snowman who we put out today. Santa is original from my wife's childhood. The others are antique finds for her.
                      19135.jpg
                      19133.jpg
                      It's all good!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Love the Clauses! That Snowman is the same one we have. My daughter thinks his gloves and hat band look like "Fruity Pebbles".

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

I remember those! I always thought they looked liked they were made out of cereal pieces, like Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity Pebbles. lol

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            Awesome! We call them "Popcorn Art" for some reason.
                            I remember them as "popcorn" decorations, too. Currently, two make an appearance every Halloween with five hitting the house for Christmas.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 27, 2009

I had Santa and Rudolf growing up, I think my sister still displays these.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎