X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Superman III Scary Robot Lady

Rob and I arrive at the moment that traumatized a generation in our journey through Superman III on Superman Movie Minute: Vera as Scary Robot Lady! Luckily we have a special guest in therapy this week, some guy you may know named Brian Heiler!

Fire and Water Network All-Stars Chris Franklin and Rob Kelly celebrate their favorite superhero movie of all time, 1978's SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, five minutes at a time!
    sigpic
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

This moment in the film, where they show the visual up above and kill the soundtrack so there's just an eeiry silence, is the best part of the movie. She becomes a Borg before we knew what Borg were. I also like junkyard scene in the film, the bar, and really anything with Clark. But anything with the villians, including Pryor, is just terrible. And the effects were bad even by 1983 standards. I will say Reeve was in the best shape of the franchise, so he looked more the part than ever.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

This moment in the film, where they show the visual up above and kill the soundtrack so there's just an eeiry silence, is the best part of the movie. She becomes a Borg before we knew what Borg were. I also like junkyard scene in the film, the bar, and really anything with Clark. But anything with the villians, including Pryor, is just terrible. And the effects were bad even by 1983 standards. I will say Reeve was in the best shape of the franchise, so he looked more the part than ever.
      I pretty much agree with everything you say, and watching this minute by minute (or five minutes at a time) has only reinforced those thoughts. Reeve is in great shape in this one, and part of the reason is there's no bouncing back to the earliest footage we saw in both the first two films. Any scene with Reeve and Hackman (who Donner only had for a certain window of time), Reeve looks a bit thin, as it was some of the earliest scenes he filmed.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

Superman 3 should have had Brainiac in it instead of a super computer.I never saw Quest for Peace but from stills I thought Reeve was too thin.

Comment

• knight errant00
          8 Inch Action Figure
          • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I pretty much agree with everything you say, and watching this minute by minute (or five minutes at a time) has only reinforced those thoughts. Reeve is in great shape in this one, and part of the reason is there's no bouncing back to the earliest footage we saw in both the first two films. Any scene with Reeve and Hackman (who Donner only had for a certain window of time), Reeve looks a bit thin, as it was some of the earliest scenes he filmed.

Chris
          I've always thought the same as well. And not just in appearance -- Reeve really is inhabiting the Superman role at this point, and as good as he is in the first two movies, he feels even more like he's really Superman in this one. With all its flaws, it's a shame the rest of the movie isn't up to Reeve's effort and performance, or it would've been the best of the series.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

She was scary before becoming a robot
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• mego
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 16, 2012

Omg. My dad took me to this movie when I was a wee lad.
              You’ve reminded me about a deeply buried and effectively forgotten fear. Haha. Crazy.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Definitely a terrifying moment. And even today, still is creepy as hell even though you know it's face paint and prosthetics and Richard Pryor is doing bad slapstick comedy around it. The whole thing is still freaky.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I think the tonal shifts make the horror worse. Christopher Reeve is still in a Superman film. Pryor and Robert Vaughn are doing slapstick. And Annie Ross gets pulled into a Cronenberg picture.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

I only watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, having gotten through both Superman IV and Supergirl. It’s hard to say which one is the worst, as they are all pretty bad. I think IV had its’ heart in the right place and I probably liked it the best.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Personally, IV has the better story, and as you said, heart in the right place, but Golan and Globus have run off with the budget, and it's embarassingly bad. III was competently made by most of the same folks from the first two films, but it's heart is out to lunch and it's head buried in the sand.

Supergirl has the perfectly cast Helen Slater, and a Razzy-worthy performance from Faye Dunaway that makes her Mommy Dearest work seem subtle.

Rob and I aren't covering either Supergirl or IV minute-by-minute. III kind of broke us for movies we're not totally into.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

The extended cut is certainly the more satisfying version of III.
                        Overall, the movie has some undeniably memorable moments, but its tonal mis-steps ultimately made it a disappointing follow up to the epic Superman II.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎