• Aug 9, 2001

Thanksgiving Turkey Gravy Thread

Getting just a breast

drippings make for a lousy gravy sauce

Any advise accepted
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

I have only been getting some kind of glass jar turkey gravy.

It's probably hard finding a really good gravy, or making one, but I recently have not had all traditional Thanksgiving Dinners.

I just make sure to have some Stove Top Stuffing, and I have some sweet potatoes for this year. Sweet potatoes in a gas oven turn out super soft.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i don't cook, my wife does. but she usually gets jar gravy for Thanksgiving. of she just gets brown gravy mix

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I cook the turkey and dressing every year, and make the gravy from scratch. You'll not get any good dripping without skin/browning. Try a Butterball boneless "turkey roast" instead of a breast. They are great, have skin and will brown, and cook quickly. Real meat.

My secret weapon is a jar of Heinz roast turkey gravy. I always have this on hand to cover accidents, shortages, and leftovers. It's good, no too salty like the packets. And, you can doctor it up with drippings, brown bits, turkey stock, or other seasonings to seem "homemade."
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Knorr or Pioneer gravies are my go to. They are both delicious.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I've never seen those, just McCormick--will look for them. Knorr items are usually good.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              My secret weapon is a jar of Heinz roast turkey gravy. And, you can doctor it up with drippings, brown bits, turkey stock, or other seasonings to seem "homemade."
              That's pretty much what I do, too. I'm the one cooking and there are usually just 4 of us. Between turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, a veg, cranberry sauce, and pie, I can either spend the whole day cooking from scratch or enjoy myself and accept a slight meal downgrade to mostly instant / pre-made. I choose the latter. That reminds me...I was thinking about ordering cajun stuffing this year.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡