X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidCoppola
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 3, 2009

Anyone into collecting 16mm films?

One of my previous hobbies was collecting 16mm feature films and projectors.
    I used to be big into it in the 90s and have gotten the urge to start collecting old films and projectors.
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

its funny you should mention that one of my professors was talking about this and apparently the Government with all the tech advancements over the decades ( VHS, DVD's, etc,etc) decided to CHUCK away all of their 16 mm films and projectors. Well apparently someone caught wind of this and out of his own pocket made a deal with the government and decided to take and store and catalog all of these films ( US Army training films, etc,etc...) and he did for decades, but eventually it got too expensive so he had to get grants and donations to keep it going. But my professor said next week there is going to be a 16mm film fest in one of the class rooms here at Columbia and everyone is welcome.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Not 16mm, but I do have a friend that collects 8mm. So beautiful.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Those super8 boxes are superb!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I used to have Star Wars on Super-8 silent.

Bought it brand new back in the day

Was really let down when I watched it and discovered it was in black and white.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

not 16mm, but I do love my Super8 and 8mm...enough that I bought MPAA approved equipment so I can preserve them and started a small business http://www.super8again.com

If I could justify the expense to preserve 16mm (with it's audio track), I'd jump for sure...

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by noelani72
              but I do love my Super8 and 8mm...
              Oh, I didn't know there was a difference. Is it the quality? Which is more desirable for collectors?
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by J.B.
                Oh, I didn't know there was a difference. Is it the quality? Which is more desirable for collectors?
                From what I remember, I think quality is the same

The difference is in the sprocket holes making them incompatible on projectors

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

I have about 4 or 5 Marvel Super Heroes Cartoons from '67 on 16MM. Want to get them transferred being that Disney will never release them here in the US. They have been release in Europe and the UK officially...but they are compressed. Will try to get pricing on what it may cost to get them transferred to digital. Also don't know if it would be legal to get them transferred.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by J.B.
                    Yeah - there is a difference in how much area on the film actually has an image on it, so Super8 would have a little more image, and thus a little better quality. Not sure if there is much of a difference with regards to collectors, especially if it has to do with packaging.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Wow, such Super8 eye candy!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I have a few 16mm films, one episode of the Planet of the Apes TV show and one episode of "Battle of the Planets". I own a projector but I don't know how it works and well, I'm flirting with selling it.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 3, 2009

Well, it's good to hear I'm not alone in collecting. I started out, like many, in the 70s with Super 8 digest films (a very short condensation of a feature film) usually running between 8 and 17-18 minutes. They did have the colorful boxes like the ones listed earlier...
                          I got into AV work later in life and started collecting 16mm projectors and films. In the late 90s I got out of it, but now am slowly getting back into it....I enjoy operating projectors and working with film prints.
                          That being said...if anyone has any old projectors or film prints, please PM me...I might be interested.
                          Thanks!

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

I was very into film items when I was living in Austin TX and earning my living as an audio engineer.
                            Every month I would pour over the Big Reel, which was the film version of Toy Shop. One of our favorites to drag out when we did film night at one of the nightclubs I ran sound at was "Where Should a Squirrel Live"? I had a pretty cool copy of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it was not a safety print and I think it has soured and gone red and brittle. The house I was renting at the time had the back porch converted into one long room, so we would set up a projector and throw the long way down the room onto a 10' screen. I had theater seats that I picked up from the original Alamo Drafthouse when they upgraded in the late 90s. Lots of fun.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Just had a nutty thought, wonder how improved the quality would be if a Super-8 film was transferred to HD

I know 16mm looks decent --- I think Night of the Living Dead was shot on 16

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎