Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

Not really. Because of the pandemic marvel films have been stretched out between release. I am sick to death of Thanos, but we will be moving into villains and characters like Kang, Adam Warlock, Black Knight Nova, Blade so I’m real excited to see them on screen. And wouldn’t it be cool to maybe get a hint of say Alpha Flight in an upcoming film. I am tired of the “ universal threat” thing I hope they move beyond that and tell more grounded Earth stories

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
      Tonight I’m going to watch Tom Hanks in Finch on Apple TV+ instead of Black Widow…

Finch is really great.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Yeah I have zero interest in any of the Disney + shows and the last 3 films. Endgame was good way to wrap a bow on the MCU in my opinion.

I bought more than a few marvel figures this year but none of the comics even back issues. I'm enjoying some of the overlooked dc bronze aged books like Adventure comics or Brave and the bold.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by powersthatbe
          I am tired of the “ universal threat” thing I hope they move beyond that and tell more grounded Earth stories
          Yeah, that’s kind of the what I’ve been pondering lately. After End Game, escalation of stakes was going to be a challenge. The multi-verse opens up a larger “cosmos” but that also opens up a can of worms about “does anybody really die when there are ten thousand Caps, Hulks, and Spideys?” It’s the same problem that the comics eventually suffer. There’s no real answer I guess, if they’re going to keep making them

And now that we know all the heroes are out there, I’m always wondering when a cataclysm is imminent(such as in The Eternals), where are the other heroes? They had to literally explain it about where the Eternals were during Thanos. Will they have to do that with every movie going forward? I’m with everyone that I’m glad we have superhero movies, but with this big shared Marvel universe, it’s a plot dilemma.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I enjoyed that first run of Marvel films that concluded with Endgame. Ten years is a long time to sustain the kind of commercial success the MCU has enjoyed from fans and the general public. But I also felt it was well earned because they were careful to manage a universal narrative that gave the feeling of cohesion between all these films. Everything felt like it was tied to a finale which gave weight to movies that otherwise may not have found an audience.

But once the pandemic kicked in, I think that served as a major setback for what Marvel was trying to build in the next phase. So now everything feels very scattered. You have streaming shows that go any number of directions. You have the "What if" series that I think confused the public not familiar with the comic heritage it was tapping into. You have the follow-up to Endgame with Spider-man that really muddied the picture introducing the multi-verse. And the Loki series which only added to that idea that nothing is necessarily permanent. Add in the Eternals weak reasoning for not getting involved when Thanos was threatening the universe and the narrative becomes murky if not hopelessly abandoned.

My feeling is if the MCU does not narratively find its footing soon, they will lose the trust of the general public that has made this franchise so profitable. If that happens, the "Midas touch" as it were will be over. And its much harder to regain that trust once you lose it. They need to start connecting the dots and give purpose to these films and streaming series that are off on their own individual journeys.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

^^^^^^^^
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                Finch is really great.
                It was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Although initially the robot was annoying the heck outta me…but he grew on me later on…

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

What about a DC/Marvel movie? Would we be in or out for that? Both companies said they would be open to doing it.

Comment

• clemso
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 8, 2001

I am so hyped for Spider-Man NWH and love that they are intergrating elements from previous Sony Spider-Man films. We haven't yet explored what bringing back the X-Men, Fantastic Four and all the side charctaers/villains that brings along with it has on the MCU. I'm looking forward to that more than something like the Eternals.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I've been a big fan of all the Disney Plus series, and I think maybe moving forward Marvel should use those to continue to spotlight supporting heroes who haven't yet anchored a film (WandaVision, Falcon & Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye) AND to introduce new heroes and concepts, like they are going to do with She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, etc. Maybe The Eternals should have been a Diseny Plus series vs. a movie. I enjoyed it, but I think with the huge cast, it would have benfitted for at least a few extra hours to flesh out their relationships, past, etc. on a streaming series.

Maybe just leave the movies for the already established tent pole heroes, or the Marvel big guns who haven't entered the MCU yet, like the FF and X-Men.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 8, 2015

My turn!

Well, I am never really bored over a super hero film unless it's something I have seen over and over and it just burns a hole in my brain and with that being said, I think the current incarnation of DC Legends is probably the only show that does that!! HA!! I am sure a lot of you are the same age and background as me, (Fifties/ Saturday Morning Cartoons/UHF, etc,etc) grew up as i did and of course back in the 70's there was NO deluge of Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse films or tv shows as there are today. Sure we had the Hulk & Spider man on CBS, the Greatest American Hero on ABC, Ultraman, Spectreman & the Space Giants on UHF and of course on Saturday Mornings: the Super Friends, the Super Seven, Plastic Man, Batman 1977 and the Fantastic Four 79. It was great, I dug it and I still do. And yeah, as the years went by we had that Superboy tv show in the 80's, all the DC cartoons by Bruce Timm, the 90's X-Men, the Silver Surfer cartoon and the Avengers cartoon (with No THor, Cap Or Iron man!) and I dug that stuff too.

So now you have the present; you have Marvel/Disney scheduling 3-5 films a year. DC doing their TV shows, trying to do (good?) Movies; Dark Horse has done THREE Hellboy films, Image has done SPAWN, and it is sort of a MECCA for the one into "SPANDEX" as my friends call it! HAHA!

Sites such as BLEEDIN COOL & CBR have everyone on edge with daily GOSSIP as to what is gonna happen or may happen and the occasional teasing!!! IF we are led to believe as example today it has been announced that Winston Duke is gonna be the NEW Black Panther

We've exclusively learned Marvel's plans for the new Black Panther. Winston Duke will be taking over the hero role for the Marvel Universe.

and that a 90's X-Men revival is gonna happen???

UPDATE: This story has now been CONFIRMED via Disney Plus Day as Marvel has announced a revival of the X-Men animated series is in the works with original cast and creators set to premier in 2023 If you have been following myself or GWW closely you may already have a inclination of what this news […]

It's this type if gossip that gets everyone either excited, ****ed, nonchalant, irrelevant! But what WAS Stan's Soapbox back in the day is today's web sites.

Progress?

I have been watching the BATMAN Serial on TCM from 1943 and I am digging it. Yeah, compared to today's CGI, the RED CAM, 4K, and all that technical ********, it is just a pleasure to see how movie makers back then did stories like this and I just Marvel at it all! Think about it Batman debuted in May 1939. Four year later he gets a film!! 1949, A sequel: Batman & ROBIN! (Which is currently on TCM on Saturday Mornings currently; FYI!!) Then nothing until 1966 (ABC tv) and 1968 ( Filmation Batman). IN recent times we are deluged with Scooby Doo team ups, new straight to DVD cartoons, a new film in 2022, it's out there if you want it.

Do I get sick of it. No. Not really. I think I can "Separate" myself from my Fan-mentality to not get too bogged down by it all. It's been such a HUGE influence on me all my life, I think i have mastered the "Addiction" ( So say's the Junkie! HAHAHA!).

I have made mistakes, I always promised myself, that I do NOT go see films if I DON'T READ the comic book. I made that mistake with Deadpool I. Didn't go see II. Have never seen any of the Suicide Squad films, any of the Venom films, The first two Hellboy films I dug very much, Guillermo Del Toro did a great job and I actually in years plunked down cash for the occasional Hellboy book! I think BLADE was another exception, as I don't own any of his books, but I dug all three films. Gee by that reckoning, with the Eternals. I 'broke' that promise many times!! HAHA!

The things I do get upset are the pop culture implications. All the punters who have seen Most Marvel films think that the Avengers are ONLY: Cap, Thor, Natasha, Hulk, Vizh, Wanda, Stark, Falcon, the Panther, Ant Man, Bucky, Dr. Strange, Spidey. When as we all know there are TOO MANY, I can't count that high. Where is the praise for STINGRAY? QUASAR? JACK OF HEARTS??? RAGE??? Dr. Druid???? Ya know. Will these character ever show up? Who knows? But most people think of only the characters from the films.

Ditto for the Guardians of the Galaxy? The series has been a source of love and hate, I HATE the BAG of DITCHWEED and the RODENT, but I LOVE VANCE ASTRO, CHARLIE-27, YONDU, STARHAWK! NIKKI, and MARTINEX. The ones I grew up with and love. Not to mentions the "Galactic Guardians" too numerous to mention. When I see the Funko products and such, it just IRKS me to no end. yeah, the IP is out there, but its not the TRUE representation of what the Guardians are.

So there ya have it, maybe instead of being "Marveled out" I probably am "Societied Out"!!

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

It just seems like that the MCU is so successful that there's bound to be a backlash at some point. They've really hit on a winning formula; wish DC could figure it out because most of their movies have been disappointing.

Anyway, we are lucky to live in this golden age, IMO. I'm happy to be able to pick and choose what superhero movies/tv I want to see. I didn't much care for Loki, for example, so I stopped watching it. NBD. What If was fantastic and I have a strong feeling Hawkeye is going to be really good.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎