• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Being Marveled out?

I’m kinda tired of the MCU.

Before I start getting dismissed for being a DCU fanboy…I didn’t like WW84 (pure dumb fluff). I think Aquaman is overrated as heck (Finding Nemo is far superior)…and I don’t get the love for Shazam (poorman’s Tom Hanks Big). And while I did enjoy the latest Suicide Squad flick…it’s nothing that I want to see anytime soon again.

But I did love Snyder JL and can’t wait for The Batman. Was initially disappointed by Man of Steel, but has grown on me over the years.

Ok, now back to Marvel.

First, I adore Guardians of the Galaxy, my favorite MCU movies. Captain America Winter Soldier is one of the best superhero movies of all times. And I recognize the very first Iron Man as the movie that started it all, the father of all MCU.

Infinity War was also epic.

But soon after, well, I’m getting bored of them. Black Panther is overrated (although Chadwick Boseman was very likable and engaging. Really sad about his passing). Avengers End Game was over-bloated. Have not embraced the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. They feel like Saved By The Bell teenage fair. I though Civil War was mediocre. I mean, compare how epic the comic book series were…the movie all cosmic fight happens on a friggn airport, with something like eight vs eight, lol. Don’t get me started on Iron-Man 3, the worst superhero movie of all times (Sony’s Spider-Man 3 is right next to it, as well as the second Garfield Spidey, yuck). Don’t worry, MCU fans, I probably hate the first Suicide Squad even more, lol.

But moving on to the newest stuff. I did enjoy WandaVision. I thought it was cleverly written. But Falcon and Winter was mediocre and preachy. Loki, oh Loki…I just couldn’t finish the series. I stopped two episodes short. Have not gone back to it. I just don’t care. What If…not bad. Black Widow is now on Disney Plus without the $20 fee, and it’s on my queue, but have not hit the ply button yet. I don’t know why. I like Scarlett, but I just don’t have the drive to watch it. In contrast, Dune, man, I watched it as soon as I could, and loved every second of it. Instead of Black Widow, I decided to watch all nine episodes of Squid Game…glad I did, what a surprisingly wonderful show that one turned out to be.

I’m so sick of you tubers constantly talking about Spider-Man No Way Home. If Toby and Garfield are going to be in it. Well, I’m almost to the point of not giving a damn, lol. Maybe I’ll change my time by the time it comes out, but for now, I don’t care. But again, I can’t wait for The Batman, lol. I didn’t like the first Venom (Sony), and not in a hurry to see the sequel with Carnage. Venom is a violent movie with forced lame humor. It just doesn’t work for me. And the CGI is subpar. Having said that, Sony’s Morbius does has my interest. I do want to see that one.

Wakanda Forever without Black Panther? No thank you. Easy pass.

So what is it with me?

Let me have it…

Last edited by Hector; Nov 7, '21, 5:20 PM.
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Tonight I’m going to watch Tom Hanks in Finch on Apple TV+ instead of Black Widow…

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i think the current Spidey movies are rather lame too. I agree about Black panther. Captain marvel was also lame and way over rated. I'm curious about the Eternals but not enough to pay to see it. Black Widow was okay, but not great. I think that without Cap, IM, or Thor, the MCU is going to suffer. they really need to get the FF and Xmen into the MCU already. they need new popular heavy hitters

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

You have a right to like what you like, and not like what you don't like. Even though, comic-wise, I was always more of a DC guy, in general the MCU approach to these films appeals to me MUCH more. I personally don't care for Snyder's dour take on things, but there are aspects of his films I like. I like most of the actors for instance, just not his approach. But I like some of the other modern DC films. My son is beyond stoked for The Batman...but I'm kind of over overly darkedy-dark-dark Batman. I can't muster much excitement for it beyond "I'll go see it and try it".

I think this "all or nothing at all" attitude that a lot of toxic fans have adopted and blast social media with is just disgusting. "If you don't like what I like, screw you!" kind of mentality doesn't just stop at movies, unfortunately.

I think somewhere along the way, by abbreviating "IMHO" or "IMO", the matter of opinion was lost in translation. Opinons become fact, and facts become hills people are willing to die on. Even over silly super hero films.

So like what you like, and dislike what you don't, and who cares what studio made it, really? That's my take.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I still look forward to the MCU movies, but then again, I have always been a Marvel guy.

That said, I was disappointed with Eternals. I won't give away any plot points, I'll just say the biggest fail, IMHO, is that the movie failed to attach me to any of the characters. Previous MCU movies made me care about characters, even the ones with whom I had very little connection. (I'm looking at you, Guardians) The best performance was from Richard Madden whose character was unappealing by script.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I'm not tired of the MCU, though I am in a kind of post-super-hero mode when it comes to my comic book consumption (but that's been true for over a decade now and hasn't affected my interest in super-heroes in other media). The biggest issue for me (and I don't consider it a problem and would have killed for it when younger) is that there is just too much content out there for me to be able to keep up with it. I don't have the time (or choose not to spend the time) it would take to keep up with it all, so I pick and choose. In the early years of the MCU, I would rush to see everything because genre content was few and far between, but it seems like everything now is genre content and there is so much to choose from that I don't need to see it all. This doesn't apply to just the MCU, but al genre content. I still haven't gotten through all the Netflix shows and am multiple seasons behind on the DC/CW stuff. I still want to see the stuff, I just don't choose to spend the time to watch it as I have other options for my time in general, and for my viewing time in particular.

For me, it's not a matter of content quality dropping or lack of interest on my part, it's that there is just do much time in the day and so much content to get to that I need to prioritize and right now the super-hero stuff is down the list a bit (I still need to see Black Widow, Shang-chi, Eternals and finish What If on the Marvel end, but Dune is one of my all time favorite stories and I have been super-hyped to see the movie but I haven't made the time to go to the theatre to see it yet-we don't have HBOMax), so for me it's not MCU specific (or DC, or whatever), its just the overwhelming amount of content available and my lack of interest to increase the amount of time I devote to viewing vs the other things I like or need to do.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

As most of you here know I will watch any Comic Book movie (and have) and let me tell you I will still watch the Marvel Cinematic Movies more than once rather than the 70 - 80's version any day. Yes most of them are a little repetitive with there movies well so are the comic books. One of the problems I have in both DC & Marvel movies are the killing of the villains. That is just lazy writing and ruins future movies.

Yeah I can see the problem most people have good guy vs bad guy where good guy wins. Well that is the story to most movies so get over it. Most of the comic books were based on older stories anyway.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                As most of you here know I will watch any Comic Book movie (and have) and let me tell you I will still watch the Marvel Cinematic Movies more than once rather than the 70 - 80's version any day. Yes most of them are a little repetitive with there movies well so are the comic books. One of the problems I have in both DC & Marvel movies are the killing of the villains. That is just lazy writing and ruins future movies.

Yeah I can see the problem most people have good guy vs bad guy where good guy wins. Well that is the story to most movies so get over it. Most of the comic books were based on older stories anyway.
                If you think they are repetitive now, think how repetitive they would feel when the are fighting the same villain for the umpteenth time. Even great villains feel boring when they keep popping up ad nauseum, and you would lose a large chunk of the mass audience that makes these movies profitable and possible is they kept recycling villains.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• ToyTalk
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 25, 2020

I'm of the opinion that good or bad, great or a flop, at least we have all of these super-hero movies to watch. Growing up in the 70s and 80s didn't permit very many outlets to get your super-hero toy, t.v., or movie fix on. Thanks to Marvel/Disney, DC, Sony, and Fox, we have so many movies, t.v. shows, toys to watch and play with that I'm thrilled to be there for all of them. That's not to say I like them all or collect them all but that I have so many options.
                  Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by ToyTalk
                    I'm of the opinion that good or bad, great or a flop, at least we have all of these super-hero movies to watch. Growing up in the 70s and 80s didn't permit very many outlets to get your super-hero toy, t.v., or movie fix on. Thanks to Marvel/Disney, DC, Sony, and Fox, we have so many movies, t.v. shows, toys to watch and play with that I'm thrilled to be there for all of them. That's not to say I like them all or collect them all but that I have so many options.
                    And that is what I am saying, I grew up watching reruns of Batman 66 & Superman 52 while watching Wonder Woman, Spider-Man & Hulk wondering where are there villains I was reading in the comic books. I boggled my kid brain that Batman had comic book villains but they other shows didn't. Then came the Marvel Movies that were ok but not there yet. Even watching the Superman/Supergirl movie they were better than the past movies but there were some eyesores even there.

It wasn't until the 90's that the comic book movies really started out as a gold mine for Hollywood to keep digging out. Now I will never say that ever movie or tv series has been great. but I would not want this to end. I love being able to watch comic books in live action or cartoon. There are so many show now I cannot keep up with them and I couldn't be happier.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

I'm waiting for Deadpool 3. Hoping to see if the Squirrel Girl rumor is true.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love a Squirrel Girl film. Defenders, too.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Nice replies, guys!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            I'm waiting for Deadpool 3. Hoping to see if the Squirrel Girl rumor is true.
                            Oh, I do love both Deadpool movies. I want to see a third. Eating crow right now…

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              i think the current Spidey movies are rather lame too. I agree about Black panther. Captain marvel was also lame and way over rated. I'm curious about the Eternals but not enough to pay to see it. Black Widow was okay, but not great. I think that without Cap, IM, or Thor, the MCU is going to suffer. they really need to get the FF and Xmen into the MCU already. they need new popular heavy hitters
                              My clone. Brother from another mother…

I’m X-Men out too though. But…

YES on the MCU Fantastic Four!!!!!

However, Emily Blunt has to be Sue Richards…

AF714C3D-DB33-4195-BC19-36CCE3E7D3D8.jpeg

528D796B-FFB6-4A6C-9742-D2A56D7DF034.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎