X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Mego Love

An interesting thing happened today, I left the house and went to a shopping center, on a Saturday. Something I loathe doing. Yet, I was excited to put my boots on and fight the crazy traffic to see this.

I won’t lie the past few weeks I haven’t had much interest in the “Mego Community” at large, it seemed so full of cynicism, backstabbing, dislike, snarky comments, infighting, and Schadenfreude that I had begun to wonder if I still was getting any joy from it. Even people I like seemed to be more interesting in thread-****ting than what we set up to do here. I won't go into the stalker nonsense I'm dealing with.

253998961_10226202895568686_1489834400942679445_n.jpg

However, this morning, staring at that wall of stuff and only allowed me to pick up one thing. For a brief minute, I felt like a kid again. It felt really good to hit that nerve. To see Superheroes, Apes, Monsters, and Star Trek on those pegs and make that incredible decision. I’m really glad I went.

It seems sometimes people can't understand that you like the stuff you say you like. They cannot relate to being happy as the default. I pity those people. This morning, I was very happy and really liked that this is a thing. That feeling carried for the whole day.

253691522_10226202890328555_7904753863081460890_n.jpg

My name is Brian Heiler and I love Mego figures. People like me are the norm, not the bloody exception.

252967434_10226202885408432_3863754845114656255_n.jpg
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Well, I freely admit to making fun of the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman, and YES, I've been openly critical about Mego's lackluster packaging, but I still love Mego.

I sure as hell buy enough of them. I figure as long as I'm spending my hard earned money on their stuff, I have the right to spout off about what I don't like now and then.
    I also praise them when they make beautiful figures.

Personal attacks are another matter. I make fun of TOYS, not people.

Cool pics BTW.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

I've been putting together showcases all day and rearranging all of the toys. An entire day of playing with megos and I would have gladly cut and run to see that much mego goodness on the shelf.

Hello, my name is Shane and I love Mego figures. I don't complain because nomatter how fast they release, slow they release, price tag, it doesn't matter because I just don't care. All I care about is getting to be a kid again, every single time I pick up a Mego.
      Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Yep. Seeing them on the shelves is great and there’s no more therapeutic to me than rearranging my toy room. It takes my mind off troubles better than almost anything. Brian, glad you had a good day.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I can understand the excitement! I've never seen such an array "in the wild." How did I guess you'd choose Frank? lol I was eyeballing that Capt. Marvel.

Thanks for the great pics and positive vibe. I'm a glass-half-empty person and need that push.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I was inspired by your photos to run out and see if there might be anything new at Target, and there was! 2 each of The Reptile, Candlestick Van Helsing, and the new Jeepers Creepers variant! I have to admit, it is fun to find them on the pegs.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

well said Brian. Now i have to go check my local Target. i stopped bothering long ago as the never have anything but with Christmas coming maybe they have restocked

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Well, I freely admit to making fun of the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman, and YES, I've been openly critical about Mego's lackluster packaging, but I still love Mego.

I sure as hell buy enough of them. I figure as long as I'm spending my hard earned money on their stuff, I have the right to spout off about what I don't like now and then.
                I also praise them when they make beautiful figures.

Personal attacks are another matter. I make fun of TOYS, not people.

Cool pics BTW.
                I've defended Mego when it came to Michael Burnham and even Topps, but this one is an unforgivable offense

Cheers to finding wild Megos. I went to Super Target in TX and there wasn't a single Mego LOL.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Damn right Brian. Nothing like seeing Mego in the wild. As excited as I am to receive a Frank Wojo delivery, seeing them at a Toys R Us will always be my preferred purchase. You do indeed feel like a kid again. A kid with a wallet who can buy whatever damn Mego he wants.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Amen, Brian. I think the frustrating, uncertain times we live in seeps in to our hobbies more than it should. We take out other frustrations on the availability, look and selection of our little plastic playthings, and worse yet, the people who make them, and the people who also love them, but disagree with us. Are they all perfect? No. But neither was the original Megos. The classic Mego Captain America would be getting the same ribbing the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman is now if he were released fresh today. Can we always find the ones we want? No. I never owned a single Mego villain as a child, despite seeing Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman on the back of ALL my Mego figures' packaging. I never even SAW them back then. It didn't "ruin my childhood"...and I was an actual child!

I happened to stop by the nearest Target yesterday, and alas, not a single Mego. It was disappointing. But I'm glad others, like you, have fared better. That had to be such a great feeling seeing that. Whoever thought we'd walk into a store and see THAT selection of Megos, even after Mego reemerged at Target?

My name is Chris, and I love Mego figures. They are 8" action figures with cloth costumes, and a certain unquantifiable sense of whimsy and charm.

Chris
                    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Nov 7, '21, 11:44 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Love it!… and all those new shiny Ursus variants! I hope you bought one!

I only found Reptiles and Van Helsings on the pegs yesterday in a dirty and unorganized Target, but it's wild fun and still mind-blowing that we are getting these in 2021.

Comment

• TRAVELING MEGO HULK
                        • Nov 7, 2021

Thanks for sharing the love, Brian.

I decided to take a shot dropping into my local Target this week after several disappointing forays - on the premise of "well, you never know"- and there on one lonely Mego peg was a solitary Van Helsing.
                        I was thrilled.

Almost like being eleven again. Which, no matter how silly, is kinda priceless.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Awesome to see that many on display in a single stop! What's more, SHAZAM!!

Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

The Universal Monster figures look really nice.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

A great story and some sweet pics, and Frankenstein would have been my choice too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎