X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Do You Do Grocery Store Delivery ?

Started doing grocery store home deliveries at the start of the pandemic.

Everything was fine when stores had their own workers delivering the packages.

Used to leave sweet tips for these over-worked employees. (looking at you Walmart Super-Centre)

Lately it seems most companies have been hiring out to Door-Dash and other home-delivery company's.

Been REALLY a step down --- super-late, wrong items, broken eggs, crushed EVERYTHING.

I miss when deliveries were made by store employees .... I have no prob giving a big tip for items that are delivered fast and unbroken.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

we were using instacart when the pandemic first hit. but once things calmed down we went back to instore shopping. i prefer doing it myself because there is always something you see that you end up needing or wanting

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

We do grocery pickup at Walmart, and started a few months into the pandemic. I enjoy not wating 2 hrs at the grocery every weekend, but you have to go in every once and a while just to add some variety. It's easy to get stuck in a rut with the online ordering.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I always loan my hand-truck to delivery peeps.

Amazing, stores don't provide their employees with something as cheap-and-useful as hand-trucks.

Loaned one to a local college girl delivering me multiple cases of seltzer water

Made her life MUCH easier ...

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          we were using instacart when the pandemic first hit. but once things calmed down we went back to instore shopping. i prefer doing it myself because there is always something you see that you end up needing or wanting
          I prefer doing my shopping myself as well... I know it's convenient for a lot of people, and I can see why they do it, but I'd much rather be the one picking out my stuff.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

One thing, --- directed at poor people like myself that have to watch every single penny.

If Walmart sends you something you didn't order or is broken in transit they'll just give it to you free --- all you have to do is call and complain

Most peeps on the complaint hot-lines know the deal and are readily happy to give you a refund.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I prefer to do my own shopping as well. It gets me out of the house.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                I prefer to do my own shopping as well. It gets me out of the house.
                But when browsing in store in person I find myself buying things on the fly I normally wouldn't get online

Garlic Humus and cheese doodles .... store made Crab cakes .... rotisserie lemon/garlic whole chicken

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

We live too far out to use them. Even during the pandemic we still went grocery shopping. We do make a list of what we need but also leave some room for items that are on sale or something new we want to try. Since we work on one budget I set out just how much money we can spend on groceries & going out to eat during the month and we stick to it. It is hard but it is possible. Going out to eat is getting more expensive so there are more home cook meals getting added.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    We live too far out to use them. Even during the pandemic we still went grocery shopping. We do make a list of what we need but also leave some room for items that are on sale or something new we want to try. Since we work on one budget I set out just how much money we can spend on groceries & going out to eat during the month and we stick to it. It is hard but it is possible. Going out to eat is getting more expensive so there are more home cook meals getting added.
                    Do you have a separate from your home kitchen refrigerator freezer ?

Some people call it a chest or garage freezer ...

When meats go on sale --- Go nuts and pack it

Definitely worth the investment

Probably make back your investment in the first year

Only thing, if you live in an area that's prone to power outages a portable generator is a must

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Being doing that since the pandemic started. We order from both Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods. Safeway too, just not as often because they are really bad and miss a lot of items…and Safeway is very slow to deliver. Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods are super fast. I have used instacart, DoorDash, Uber Eats as well…but the best seems to be Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods. Fast delivery and pretty accurate with their delivery (cheaper delivery fees too)…and if you are missing or receive damaged items, just inform him…and they will refund you with no questions asked. I also get dog food from Amazon Fresh.

But since being vaccinated, I now venture outside a bit more. Love grocery shopping in person at Trader Joe’s (they don’t deliver). I also started going to another local favorite, Nob Hill/Raley’s.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hector

But since being vaccinated, I now venture outside a bit more.............
                        I got my shots between April and May...

Wondering if I should be thinking about a booster shot ?

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                          I got my shots between April and May...

Wondering if I should be thinking about a booster shot ?

If you got the initial Moderna or Pfizer, it’s recommended you wait six months for the booster.

If you got the Johnson and Johnson, you can get any booster after two months. I got the Johnson and Johnson, but will go for the Moderna booster, as by going with data, it’s more effective:

5. If you had the J&J shot, can you get a booster of Pfizer or Moderna instead?

The CDC’s approval of the mix-and-match authorization follows a report of early data from a federal clinical trial suggested it might be better for J&J recipients to get an mRNA vaccine booster (from Pfizer or Moderna). The trial’s preliminary data showed that people who had gotten the J&J vaccine followed by a Moderna booster had a 76-fold rise in antibodies in 15 days; those who got Pfizer saw a 35-fold increase; while those who got the J&J booster had only a four-fold increase. That data was published in a preprint and has not yet undergone independent peer review.

I’m getting the Moderna booster this Saturday.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

You come up with the most random thread topics Mikey.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Got a first delivery from Walmart today. They delivered two bags of incorrect stuff and didn't deliver a bunch of stuff we ordered! Such idiots!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎