X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Question for Beatles fans

Something I've always wondered about but nobody talks about is the Beatles Madame Tussaud's wax figures on the cover of Sgt Pepper

They clearly aren't the ones from Madame Tussaud

Just look at the REAL ones from that time

Paul and Ringo on the album are frowning , John and George look different too

Anybody know the story behind this ?

Weird nobody seemed to noticed this
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

they were apparently lost in a store room for 40 years but were found and auctioned off in 2005, according to this article i found in a quick google search

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/what...-heads-3526400

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

^^Beat me to the punch. Lol. Yes, those wax statues on the cover of Pepper ARE Tussaud heads. Through the different eras, the Beatles were updated so there must various incarnations with various expressions, and perhaps artist renditions, to keep the attraction fresh.
      The ones you might be speaking of are from 1964 but those heads changed over time and the ones on the Pepper cover were borrowed but then lost as you can see from the article posted. Unfortunately Paul's head was never recovered and before you say the hair looks different is because it looks like the recovered heads needed a new haircut, meaning the old hair must have deteriorated.
      Changing of wax heads has been common from what I experienced at the Hollywood Wax Musuem over the years. They would get different artists to change the expressions of certain characters. Updates if you will.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

The found ones from '64 are not ones on the Pepper cover

Just look at the faces, especially Paul and Ringo.

Totally different facial expressions

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

Hi Mikey.

The article doesn't state those are the 1964 ones. I've provided links to photos of the 1964 ones. The Pepper ones are another year and again, the heads have been changed through the years. Go online and do a search of the variations.

The ones found in 2005 that went to auction look to be indeed the Pepper ones with different wigs and eyes that have been moved to look forward. Lip, cheeks and chin shape look identical and Ringo is spot on. McCartney, according to the article, is from another vintage collection. It is not the '64 as you can see from the '64 photo.

So to answer your original question: The Pepper cover Tussaud Beatle heads, John, George, and Ringo were sold in auction in 2013. Paul's head from the Pepper cover is the only one MIA and whereabouts unknown.

Sgt Pepper Cover

2005 Found Heads

"Photographers stand behind four waxworks heads of The Beatles, of which three were originally used on the Sgt Pepper album cover, at Madame Tussauds in London, Thursday Oct 20, 2005. The three original heads that were used, from left, George Harrison, John Lennon and Ringo Starr are estimated to fetch 80,000 pounds (US$ 141,292 / Euros 118,109) when they come up for auction in the 'Music Legends' sale at Madame Tussauds on Oct. 27. The Paul McCartney waxwork head at right, was not the original used on the album cover. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)"

1964 Beatles

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

looks like they had also redone the eyebrows on them

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I heard a rumor that the Paul wax head was dead. There's clues on some of the Madame Tussad brochures at the time. In one, he's turned with his back to the camera...

Man, the Ringo one is almost a cariacature, isn't it? I mean, I know Ringo has a very distinctive face, but his nose and lips seem very exagerated.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

^^ agreed. they exaggerated his facial features in that. it looks more like the king syndicate cartoon version

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎