X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Phantom of the Opera model Daddy/Daughter project

Years ago Brian posted some models he and his kids worked on together. This inspired my son and I to do the same over the course of many years, usually around Halloween. I've been looking to do the same thing with my daughter, but hadn't found any affordable Aurora reissue kits in a long while. Luckily we stumbled on the Atlantis reissue of the Aurora Phantom of the Opera Kit at a Hobbytown USA last month, for a decent price. So we've had a lot of fun painting and assembling this thing. Deciding on things like the Phantom's skin tone (it's way more jaundiced in person that the photos show), how gross we want to make the prisioner (he now looks either burnt or skinned!), what colors to use on his suit, etc. We skipped the included glow parts to have more fun painting. I'm no Dwayne, but I'm happy with how this turned out, and we had a blast doing it. I can now add him to the shelf!

Chris
    sigpic
  • ToyTalk
    Career Member
    • Mar 25, 2020

That is a wonderful family halloween project. Those memories will last forever.
    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's a great version of my favorite kit, I love that it was collaborative.

Oddly, I built up mine without the prisoner, because I thought he was distracting.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

That sounds like some fantastic family time.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

That looks awesome.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

I love it Chris...you guys did a Phantastic job, and it gets my Monster Seal of Approval!

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

That came out really nice.
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Is there a picture? Not seeing anything, and sad to be missing out.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Is there a picture? Not seeing anything, and sad to be missing out.
                  Yes, I posted 3 pictures. Oddly enough, sometimes I can't see pictures posted on the forums here, but most times I can. Very random.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

I love that you did this as a father-daughter project. The end result is wonderful!

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Its so much fun when your craft can be shared with your kids. That was clearly built with love. Artistry is strong in your family! So very cool.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Such a great story and a fantastic job on it, I also like the bottom pic of your line up of monsters, well done and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• tay666
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 27, 2008

That came out great!
                          I miss working on kits with my daughter. But she is 30 now and doesn't live at home. (though she does still build kits)

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words. Dani and I have another kit winging our way thanks to someone here at the museum, and one of the Pirates of the Carribean reissue kits to work on, so these will be some fun winter projects for us, and ready for Halloween next year!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎