Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I must admit, as a fan of the Riddler, I find this really dreary. I mean, why even make an action figure of what equates to an Anorak with Duct tape on his face?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      Hate this version of Riddler. I do not understand why DC keeps release angry Batman version. This version is not what the comic books are, in fact the comics are more Batman Family and that is what I would love to see at the theater instead of angst/angry/****ed off at the world Batman.

Yes I will watch this (thanks to HBO Max) but not as much as other movies.
      Because this is the Batman mass audiences know and the Batman of the current pop culture zeitgeist. Comics are a niche market with small audiences, and when their version of a character conflicts with that of the popular zeitgeist, it will be the better known and more popular version that wins out, especially in mass market projects like a movie or video game. That's the nature of mass media. More people know the James Whale/Boris Karloff version of the Frankenstein monster than the version form Shelly's novel and think it is THE VERSION of the monster and are completely surprised if ever exposed to Shelly's novel at how different the monster is there. The source material becomes second fiddle to mass media interpretations people come to know and expect. Batman is just the latest in a long line of characters this is true of.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Wow, hadn’t seen the Riddler pics yet. Strange choice to say the least. Not a fan of it. Hope that’s not his look for the entire movie, though it probably will be.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't seen the film, obviously, but I too hope this isn't the Riddler's only look. As gritty and grounded as Nolan's films were, they still managed to translate the Batman Rogues into versions that were still recognizable. Scarecrow, Ra's, Joker, Two-Face, Bane and Catwoman were all "grittied up", but you could still identify them as the comic characters. Even Joaquin Phoenix's Joker had that very Cesar Romero-like suit on. No sense to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• ToyTalk
            Career Member
            • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by MRP
            I am sure I will see this movie at some point and be thoroughly engrossed by it in the moment when I do. But there's little there in the trailer that actually gets me excited for this movie. The actual glimpses of the portrayal of Batman left me cold. The movie's visuals look good, to be certain, and it looks to be a well-shot movie with good cinematography, but I really only notice that stuff about movies when the story and the character portrayals fail to capture me. And if the best thing about a movie trailer or a movie is a car, then there has been a serious failure of storytelling ad character development/portrayal in it from where I sit. I didn't dislike this. It just didn't move the needle of my anticipation for this movie at all.

-M
            Pretty well said what I was thinking. Not sure we need another Batman movie yet but I'm certain I'll see it once it can be streamed free at home.
            Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              I must admit, as a fan of the Riddler, I find this really dreary. I mean, why even make an action figure of what equates to an Anorak with Duct tape on his face?
              See, now you know how I feel. Dismayed.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 21, '21, 4:27 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                Because this is the Batman mass audiences know and the Batman of the current pop culture zeitgeist. Comics are a niche market with small audiences, and when their version of a character conflicts with that of the popular zeitgeist, it will be the better known and more popular version that wins out, especially in mass market projects like a movie or video game. That's the nature of mass media. More people know the James Whale/Boris Karloff version of the Frankenstein monster than the version form Shelly's novel and think it is THE VERSION of the monster and are completely surprised if ever exposed to Shelly's novel at how different the monster is there. The source material becomes second fiddle to mass media interpretations people come to know and expect. Batman is just the latest in a long line of characters this is true of.

-M
                Exactly. Shelly’s monster is nothing like the Universal Karloff one.

I like old traditional. But I also like new stuff. The Riddler of past, like the Jim Carrey version, will not work in this realistic rendition of The Batman. We have already seen dozens and dozens of different renditions of popular characters. Why not this new Riddler? I’m all for it. For classical Riddler, I’ll watch its past renditions. No problem. I’m open to both worlds.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Hey. There was a question mark on the Riddler’s latte. What else do you want?

sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, the new Batmobile definitely looks cool.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

All new full fledged trailer…

Vengeance equals justice for both the Bat and the Cat. Watch the new trailer for The Batman now. Only in theaters March 4. #TheBatman------------------------...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Zoe Kravitz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Helle Berry
                        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

What a dreary piece of dreck.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• YoungOnce
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 29, 2007

Funny... I'm usually the one who pines for the old days and a stickler for traditions, but the trailer doesn't bother me. I am kinda over the dark color palette, but if it can be forgiven of anyone, it can be forgiven for Batman.

I'm ok about The Riddler... I'm glad to see Batman's cinematic villain roster expand a little. The Batmobile is cool. The fight choreography looks fun.

Remembering the very early comics ( before Robin came in to soften him up), this doesn't seem too much of a departure.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I continue to not really feel this. It looks slick, competent, and well-made. Batman certainly is a character that suits a dark approach. But, it's just not sparking with me.

I'll go see it, and maybe I'll be wowed beyond belief. But I think the Nolan films were about as dark as I ever wanted to go with the character on film.
                              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

It's the law of diminishing returns, isn't it? The fresh-faced Topher Grace-looking 18 year old who lined up for the midnight showing in 1989 would have eaten this up with a spoon. But the cynical 51-year-old father of two has had 33 years of Batmen and related Batmen-related entertainment. I don't geek out much these days for anything, heck I don't even read comics anymore.

So yeah, I'll probably check this out but I've had my fill at the buffet.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎