Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best live concert you have seen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Tiny Tim,

Tiny Tim, came to my one-horse-town back in the early 70's as the guest of honor at our local fair.

Highlights included ...

... BIG BEN, largest horse EVER !!!

... California Redwood tree carved into a full sized camper

... motorcycle show performed inside an upright barrel (hard to describe but thrilling)

... VW Bug on top of telephone pole with guy waving in guests

... and yes, Tiny Tim made his appearance singing his mellow classics --

Whole thing was just weird

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

A friend did the math and figured out that I have seen, conservatively, over 2,500 bands live. I used to get into shows for free back in college. Sometimes, I even forget that I've seen a particular band.

The show that most recently blew me away was Black Pistol Fire at The Sinclair in Cambridge, MA in 2018. They're just a drummer and guitarist, but they fill the place like a 70s stadium show!

Prince put on an amazing performance when I saw him back in 1984 or 85 at Philadelphia's Spectrum for his Purple Rain tour.

And Elvis Costello's Spinning Songbook Tour in 1986 where he spun a giant wheel and then played whichever song it landed it on was a ton of fun. He seemed to have finally let go a lot of the anger he had when I'd seen him before.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67
        A friend did the math and figured out that I have seen, conservatively, over 2,500 bands live. I used to get into shows for free back in college. Sometimes, I even forget that I've seen a particular band.

The show that most recently blew me away was Black Pistol Fire at The Sinclair in Cambridge, MA in 2018. They're just a drummer and guitarist, but they fill the place like a 70s stadium show!

Prince put on an amazing performance when I saw him back in 1984 or 85 at Philadelphia's Spectrum for his Purple Rain tour.

And Elvis Costello's Spinning Songbook Tour in 1986 where he spun a giant wheel and then played whichever song it landed it on was a ton of fun. He seemed to have finally let go a lot of the anger he had when I'd seen him before.
        That's a lot of bands!

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
          I have seen, conservatively, over 2,500 bands live.
          DAMN!
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2010

I remember seeing Iron Maiden, America, The Electric Light Orchestra, among others, but if I have to pick just one it isn't really a tough one: PAUL MCCARTNEY back in 2011. Three frigging non-stop hours of music, no sweat, and he did not even perform all of his Billboard number ones, can you believe it. Awesome!
            www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i saw McCartney on that tour as well. yes, the energy the man has is incredible.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                That's a lot of bands!
                Originally posted by J.B.
                DAMN!
                Yeah, most were during college and for the first few years after. I was a DJ at Drexel University's progressive/alternative/underground radio station. That put me on the guest list at most of the clubs in Philly (even though I was under age) and I used to see a show or two every week. That's about 6-8 bands a week, about 288-384 a year which is about 1,440-1,920 just over my 5 years of college. The late 80s were also a time when many of the "underground" garage bands I was playing started being called grunge and getting national attention. That doesn't include the big bands I saw in concert halls or the 35 bands I saw at Live Aid alone! I still regularly go see bands, including 10 already this year.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

If I had a time-machine

First button I would set is ……. Wings over America (1976) Tour

Back in the day I was just a pup who didn't known NOTHING

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                    If I had a time-machineG
                    For me, it would be The Who anytime around 1970!

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Flipping through albums at a record store reminded me of two other standout shows I was lucky enough to see.

-The Cramps at Temple University's Mitten Hall some time in the late 80s. The term "psychobilly" doesn't just describe their music. It's also what it means to experience them live.

-The other is local Philly gods, Electric Love Muffin. During one of their final shows at the Khyber Pass in 1990 (maybe their last), they never let the chaos keep them from their incredible melodic thrash/garage/just a dash of country-pop. At one point, they all decided to ditch their clothes. Drummer Frank Campbell went to pull the curtains behind him closed and inadvertently pulled the set off the rack, revealing floor-to-ceiling windows. Crowds formed on 2nd St to gawk. When Rockbottom Rob (currently with Creem Circus) jumped on stage to guest vocal their cover of "Highway Star", Steve and I decided he needed to be equally naked and managed to pull of his pants while managed to keep singing. By the time the cops showed up, the Muffin were finished. It was almost last call anyway.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Philly ???

We're talking Philly-Spectrum ???

My TARDIS is now set for Pink Floyd !!!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢