Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best live concert you have seen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by RonnyG
    The Who performing Tommy in a 1989 revival with Billy Idol, Elton John, and Patti LaBelle. Although, my very first concert seeing Cheap Trick was also memorable.
    nice! i saw them on the 25th anniversary reunion tour which was the same year. they put on an amazing show

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Van Halen’s monsters of rock tour July 1988 Gillette Stadium, started around 2:00pm and ended around 9:00pm.

I remember how hot it was when it started, the fans sitting in the field seats were being hosed down by stadium staff
      the stage was in the end zone with the video scoreboard screen behind it, Metallica was the opening band.

Comment

• megoapesnut
        The name says it all!
        • Dec 3, 2007

RUSH is my favorite band and I have seen them 7 times and each was better than the last. They put on a helluva show. The most surprising concert was .38 Special. Night Ranger opened up for them and that was all I really wanted to see. I asked the group with me if they wanted to leave after Night Ranger was done and they said hell no, we are here for the night. So I stayed and was blown away with how good the concert was. I became an instant fan of the band. Next best was Whitney Houston. Daggummitt she had a sweet voice. I pushed my way to the front row at Hersheypark Stadium. I was right next to a guy who had his maybe 10 year old daughter on his shoulders and she had a bouquet of flowers for Whitney. Whitney came over and took them from the girl and kissed her cheek and as she started to get back up she made EYE CONTACT WITH ME AND SMILED AT ME!! I fell in love INSTANTLY!!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Sha-na-na

1980-ish

Line-up was everybody from their TV show

Santini went into the audience and flurted with my older sis

Loved these guys

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. I saw them 3 times, and each time they were a well-oiled machine. Engaged the audience, and positively electric. And the last time, Bob was 72 years old!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i also have seen RUSH multiple times, and yes, they put on a great show. Also saw 38 special and you are correct, they put on an amazing show.
              never did get to see Bob Seeger. he's on his farewell tour now i believe

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

LOVED 38 Special

Being a HUGE Skynyrd fan, 38 Special was right up their too.

BTW, what ever happened to Southern Rock ?

Think the last man actually doing Southern Rock (as we know it) today is Hank-3

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                  LOVED 38 Special

Being a HUGE Skynyrd fan, 38 Special was right up their too.

BTW, what ever happened to Southern Rock ?

Think the last man actually doing Southern Rock (as we know it) today is Hank-3
                  Kid Rock does his version of it I guess.

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

'89 The Rolling Stones “Steel Wheels Tour” at the L.A. Coliseum.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

^ --- totally outclassed me

My concerts were usually at Farmers State Fairs (usually held at a local hometown airport)

Funnel Cake, best pig contests, $2.00 lets you see the smallest horse in the world

Top it all off Merle Haggard singing Okee From Muskogee

Man, them were the days
                      Last edited by Mikey; Oct 20, '21, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
                        Most of my top concerts have been at MSG, my favorite building in the world.
                        Paul McCartney in 89 is right up there. Also KISS in 96, so loud and awesome!

I saw McCartney on that same tour in '90 in Cleveland. You know you really want to see a concert if you're willing to go to Cleveland to see it. Anyway he was fantastic.
                        Best "seats" I ever had were the Bangles in '89. Smallish University venue, where for some reason there was nothing separating the crowd from the stage. We stood touching the stage, two feet from the band. I couldn't hear for a week afterwards.
                        Worst concerts, or at least most disappointing has to be Prince in '86 at Syracuse. He was a wonderfully talented musician but he clearly didn't give a damn that night. Oh and someone mentioned Van Halen. I like Van Halen, but their tour a couple of years back was lousy.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

KISS 1977-Alive II/ Love Gun Tour. My legs shaked so bad seeing these guys in the flesh, I could hardly stand. I literally had to hold on to my buddy's shoulder for a few minutes until I got my legs back. An amazing experience. AC/DC opened for them. But at that point they were not yet the name brand they would become in the 80's.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

September 1988, Human Rights Now! Tour at JFK Stadium in Philly: Springsteen & the ESB, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman all playing sets. It was an incredible night.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                              KISS 1977-Alive II/ Love Gun Tour. My legs shaked so bad seeing these guys in the flesh, I could hardly stand. I literally had to hold on to my buddy's shoulder for a few minutes until I got my legs back. An amazing experience. AC/DC opened for them. But at that point they were not yet the name brand they would become in the 80's.
                              i saw KISS in the late eighties. they weren't the same anymore, without the makeup. Ted Nugent opened for them and put on a way better show. Eric Carr was still alive though so at least I got to see him play

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

A conservative estimate is that I've seen about 2,500 bands live over the years. Realize that between 1985 and 1991, I got on the guest list for the shows, seeing about 2 shows a week, each with 2-3 bands. And I still see a lot of bands. 4 shows this month with 10 bands playing between them.

Soooooooo... it's really hard to even remember all those shows. That said, the ones that stick out-
                                1- Black Pistol Fire at the Sinclair in Cambridge, MA.
                                2- Prince at the Spectrum in Philly during his Purple Rain tour.
                                3- The Who playing Quadrophenia at Madison Square Garden with guest artists and Phil Daniels from the movie.
                                4- The Electric Love Muffin's last show at the Khyber Pass in Philly.
                                5- The Black Keys playing at a drained public pool in Brooklyn.

The worst shows-
                                -Led Zeppelin at Live Aid. So disappointing.
                                -Red Hot Chili Peppers at Temple University's Spring Fling. I had already seen them twice and they were amazing before this show. I was on the committee that booked the band so I was especially annoyed that Anthony Keidis was so drugged out that he didn't perform with the band. Months later Hillel Slovak died from an overdose.
                                -Guided By Voices at the Bowery in New York. One of the guitarists was so drunk, he would stop playing for long periods and try and hit on two women in the front.
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎