X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

EVER GO CAMPING (back in the day) ???

Always wanted to go camping … Like Big Jim etc...

Closest I ever got was drop-line eel fishing with my older Bro at dawn-ish.

G-dang, cleaning them eels … Let's just say, don't investigate any further (if you are a lady or gent)

Anyway, always wanted to go camping for real

Just wondering, did anybody REALLY go camping, or was that just a 70's fake thing ?
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Never ever, ever wanted to go camping.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Never ever, ever wanted to go camping.
      One time my older bro knew I wanted to go camping so he bought a tent --- really nice cabin style tent.

Set it up in the back yard.

First thing when I went inside I seen a spider as large as a tarantula hiding in the unfolded crevices

THIS THING WAS HUGE !!!

Later, I deduced it was most likely a wolf spider

G-Dang, I hate spiders

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Went camping with scouts a few times as a preteen. Took my son on some camping trips when he was a cub scout. We had a tent and air mattresses and sleeping bags, and electricity was available for one of the trips but we didnt use it.
        Our last scout trip was here. It's kinda scout legendary.
        https://youtu.be/Jxx5L872yVc Philmont Scout Ranch is the Boy Scouts of America’s largest National High-Adventure Base. Born in 1938 as Philturn Rocky Mountain Scout Camp, Philmont has become a bustling center for […]
        Last edited by Megotastrophe; Oct 15, '21, 4:15 PM. Reason: Found name of camp

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

Used to go camping with my family every summer for about a week. That stopped by the time I was 12. Never went a gain until I was active duty and got deployed to a few spots. That was totally not as much fun as I remembered as a kid. LOL
          Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I went camping as a kid on cross country road trips with my family with tents and air mattresses. Its some of my fondest memories.

Before we got married, my wife and I went camping in Yellowstone and had bison walk right past our tent early one morning.

I took my kids camping in the summers when they were young, but we mostly stayed in yurts on the Oregon coast which is really easy as you don't have to deal with a tent and are provided bunk beds.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I’ve never been much of a hunting/fishing kind of guy, but I grew up camping and going on backpacking trips and week long canoe trips on some really cool rivers and way away from civilization. Everywhere I have lived, I have gone camping and in all kinds of weather. Love it.

Coincidently, I am going next weekend and it’s the first time I will have camped in several years. This trip is a reunion of sort of a bunch of guys who I was in Scouts with back in the 1980s. A few of us went to Philmont together back in 1984 and put in over a hundred miles on trails through the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in 10 days. Not bad for a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds!

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by pmwasson
                ………………. my wife and I went camping in Yellowstone and had bison walk right past our tent early one morning...
                I'd never go camping in Yellowstone 'cause of the Grizzly bears

I HATE bears --- all kinds --- black and brown

Just had a black bear foraging in my dumpster last night.

Made a wreck of EVERTHING

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

I was both a Cub and a Boy Scout in my youth, so yes, I've been camping. I still have my sleeping bag.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

my folks didn't have much money when i was growing up. you know 5 kids, 1 income family. so camping was our vacations, every year. we would actually go most holiday weekends and then maybe a week in the summer. it was fun as kids. as an adult i've never had an interest in it. we have done it a few times over the years, but mostly at my sisters seasonal camp, where she has electricity, running water, a/c etc. we call that glamping (glam camping)

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

If you have a/c you aren't camping hahaha

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                        Creature Of The Night
                        • May 14, 2011

We went at least once a month throughout grade school & junior high, and a full week each summer. Tent & sleeping bags in grade school and a small camper in jr. high, which by then, I slept in a bag on a cot outside in the open. When I was a junior in high school, my parents bought a motor home and did some long distance traveling. I didn't go with them that often at that point, but when I did, I still slept on a cot outside.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎